hunting dog food

Hey guys,

So I have my new GSP coming home in 2 weeks, and I've been looking into different dog foods to put her on. For my old springer spaniel we always just used IAMS, but after doing some research I've learned its pretty crappy food. Unfortunately, most of the really good quality food is pretty damn expensive. Anyway, so I've found this brand 4Health sold at tractor supply store which seems to be a pretty solid food for working dogs. Has anyone had good experience with this brand, or have any suggestions for a quality food that wont break my bank.

Thanks for the help.
-Ben

After trying a few different brands we've settled on blue buffalo for our Shephard, royal canin has a breed specific food for GSD'S that we've used also
Both are about $55 for a large bag, 24 pounds or so

It depends on what you consider "breaking the bank". I second the Blue Buffalo brand. I feed my staffie the "wilderness" stuff. loaded with protien, she loves it, and it's not super pricey. She's a mass of muscle because of it, packed with energy, and and I feel good knowing I can feed my dog Bison meat daily thanks to them. A $50 bag lasts about a month feeding one 75lb dog. Dogfarts get pretty outrageous though because of it. Not abundant. Just wretched.

After trying a few different brands we've settled on blue buffalo for our Shephard, royal canin has a breed specific food for GSD'S that we've used also
Both are about $55 for a large bag, 24 pounds or so

Last edited:
Just an FYI I have a Great Dane that has wheat & soy issues. The wheat causes ear problems (black gunk) and soy causes blotches on her stomach. Keep that in mind for your budget, I ended up using Nature's Variety Prairie $45. for 27lbs.

i mix science diet with cooked carrots, rice, chicken and eggs. I make a chicken soup of sorts just for the dogs (labs) 1.5 cups of dry with 1.5 cups of the soup on top. twice a day. drool is hitting the floor when i trun around to give them their bowls so i know they love it. Their coats are shiny and almost water proof.

my lab is on Earthborn Hollistics. I don't like the big chains so I get it at a small local pet store it runs just over $50 for 28lbs. my dog gets 3/4 cup twice a day and the bag lasts about a month. We up her food intake a little when she's going to be very active. I also get emailed a $3off coupon about every other month which is nice.

The main thing to look for is to not have corn or grains be the first ingredient listed. Also when you change the dog over don't just switch it over one day slowly mix the old food they were on with the new food you want them on; give them a chance to get used to it and their body to adjust to it.

One big mistake we made when we went to good quality dog food is we kept feeding her the same amount as the cheap stuff (2 cups/day) this turned out to be too much for her and she started gaining weight.

There are a lot of good dog foods out there now so do a little research and pick one; talk to your vet. they may have a brand they recommend. We chose Earthborn because there is absolutely no corn in it; our dog is actually allergic to corn; she gets a skin rash when she has it.

Another thing you'll notice with good quality dog food is their coat will be nicer. When we did basic obedience training all of the other lab owners and the instructor commented on what a beautiful coat our pup had.

Diamond has had multiple recalls over the years. I used to feed it. Now I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Just my opinion.

Currently feeding Fromm, but there are many other good brands out there.

This is what I feed one of my dog's.
She's a picky eater, but will eat this, it's on the pricey side, but it's for my dog so it's worth it.

Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Grain-Free Chicken Meal Formula Dry Dog Food
Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Grain-Free Chicken Meal Formula Dry Dog Food is specifically developed to provide dogs of all breeds, sizes, ages and activity levels with the balanced nutrition they need to thrive. Containing a high content of meat, poultry and fish protein along with a blend of vegetables, fruits, vitamins, minerals and nutritious oils, this chicken meal formula promotes the development of healthy muscles and strong bones. Ideal for dogs with food allergies, this formula is highly digestible, grain-free and gluten-free. This dry dog food contains a unique blend of high protein, low carb and nutrient dense kibble plus freeze dried raw with natural enzymes for digestive health and the delicious flavor that all dogs love. Nourish your dog with flavorful and healthy meals that they need and deserve everyday by feeding them instinctively with Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Grain-Free Formula Dry Dog Food.

I've had good luck with Grandma Mae's Country Naturals I supplement it with carrot,celery and green peppers. They are a small NY based company.

Stay away from anything made by Diamond. They make food for a lot of different labels. If you aren't sure call the the company and ask them directly, "Who makes your food" and "Where "

I feed my soft coated wheaten terrier strictly RAW food. I have a local source, but frozen Raw foods can be found at specialty pet shops.

A frozen brand I would recommend: Vital Essentials

We use the 4Health Lamb and Rice. They don't use brewers rice, which is stripped of nutrients. No corn or wheat, so no allergy problems. They digest it better too, the craps in the yard are smaller.

My 9month old britt gets Fromm Puppy Gold. Its about $60 per bag, but he's had zero issues when he eats just that (firm poop, not gassy, great coat...), and I only need to feed him about 2 1/2 cups per day.

I've been tempted to switch to to something cheaper from Costco (Diamond?), but he does so well with Fromms that I may just stick with that.

This sight is pretty well respected:
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

When "Hunting Dog Food" I first scout the best locations that have food present. I then set up some stands in the best, most frequently traveled aisles. When the biggest, best looking bag comes by I jump down out of my stand and throw it in my carriage! LOL

Hey guys,

So I have my new GSP coming home in 2 weeks, and I've been looking into different dog foods to put her on. For my old springer spaniel we always just used IAMS, but after doing some research I've learned its pretty crappy food. Unfortunately, most of the really good quality food is pretty damn expensive. Anyway, so I've found this brand 4Health sold at tractor supply store which seems to be a pretty solid food for working dogs. Has anyone had good experience with this brand, or have any suggestions for a quality food that wont break my bank.

Thanks for the help.
-Ben

I used to use iams but both of my labs developed problems because of it. I now use 4health adult (old) dog formula. It lasts longer seems to digest well and they don't have all of the allergies like they did.)

I recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My pooch gets evo they had never had a recall I know of until recently for salmonella witch doesn't effect dogs only.humans.... Also she gets a good amount of goose meat this time of year early season goose has a seven bird limit.... Most people only eat goose breast meat why throw out the rest? Give it to the pooch.. and when you get sick of goose half way through the Season give it all to the pooch

My pooch gets evo they had never had a recall I know of until recently for salmonella witch doesn't effect dogs only.humans.... Also she gets a good amount of goose meat this time of year early season goose has a seven bird limit.... Most people only eat goose breast meat why throw out the rest? Give it to the pooch.. and when you get sick of goose half way through the Season give it all to the pooch

Sorry to say it Cerfur but salmonella does affect dogs; it's not generally as serious as it is with humans. Salmonella Infection in Dogs | petMD

Yes actually you are right it is possible but incredibly rare.. Dogs digestive tracks are much shorter then ours so most bacteria don't get a chance to populate to get the dog sick..

Yes, but 5 dogs died from samonella last year before Diamond decided to recall their food; and IIRC 14 infants were also infected due to poor food handling standards.

Back
Top Bottom