hunter safety

Is it too late to take a hunter safety course?

Looks that way, at least for MA.

See here:http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

From the Abstracts: "No adult may buy a hunting or sporting license unless (s)he shows the issuing agent a previous year's hunting or sporting license (from any state) or a certificate of completion of a Hunter Education Course issued by any state or province."

Mass also accepts certificates from other states. Here is an idea perhaps:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74414

If you haven't taken a course yet, you will probably miss the fall season. If one's being offered (check the mass wildlife website), and you take it, you can at least get in on spring turkey.

I'd recommend getting into a class and getting it done whenever you can. The ones offered in the summer/early fall (the ones you can take and hunt that season) always fill up WICKED fast.

Is it too late to take a hunter safety course?

I asked this question same time last year. No Classes til April most likely. I took mine at Georgetown Fish and Game last April ( I am a member now). I just hunted bow for the first time and look forward to firearms. I also got my license in Maine and can't wait. The course is five wednesday nights in a row. You cannot miss any classes. Pain in the ass , but worth it I am sure. Can't wait to tag my first deer.

Take the online NH test then goto one of the field test days. Get your NH license then show it to get your MA

I never knew you guys had to take a test. I thought you simply took any legally owned gun and went hunting. I learn something new every day.

In France we have 2 days training followed by a 21 question test on punch cards that are immediately fed into a computer. One question is eliminatory ie get it wrong and you fail. Otherwise 16 out of 21 needed. You get the result within minutes. Then there is a practical exam. They are obviously mainly about safety and what you can and can't shoot. The worst thing is, it's all in French. I only got 100%. 10 of the 30 people present were given forms to re-apply. They were all French.

Tooth - If there's a course starting anywhere near you, you might take a shot at just showing up the day of the course. One of the instructors I know says there are often no-show, and if a seat is empty, it's available.

Back
Top Bottom