Huge 2A win in Massachusetts

Bruen Megathread; we've been discussing it for some days now. First mention was 10 August. This morning, the trial decision was posted there.

That same video in the OP here was also posted (twice, so a multi-dupe) in the HD 4420 thread.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve its own thread? I'm just saying NES has already spilled a lot of electrons on this one.

Bruen Megathread; we've been discussing it for some days now. First mention was 10 August. This morning, the trial decision was posted there.

That same video in the OP here was also posted (twice, so a multi-dupe) in the HD 4420 thread.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve its own thread? I'm just saying NES has already spilled a lot of electrons on this one.
The Bruen megathread degraded into trans dancers or something last I looked. Like the Russia Ukraine thread.

Fire Love GIF

Independence Day Summer GIF

I wouldn't get overly excited just yet. This was a motion heard by a District Court judge so applies only the specific individual. The DA can decide to appeal this decision at (I think) the Superior Court level, then to the SJC.

At least that's my non lawyer thought and hopefully someone with actual knowledge will take a break from the Bruen Mega Dumpster Fire thread to correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly.

The current state of play, as commentated by smart guys like Knuckle Dragger and Neil:

The decision says what it says.
Some NESers think the state will appeal it and win.
Others think the state is smarter than that; they know an unsuccessful appeal is likely, and binding.
The state has other, easier charges against this guy. That's likely to factor into their thinking.
This decision, though not binding, is significant because it happened here in MA.

Go to it, boys!

The current state of play, as commentated by smart guys like Knuckle Dragger and Neil:

The decision says what it says.
Some NESers think the state will appeal it and win.
Others think the state is smarter than that; they know an unsuccessful appeal is likely, and binding.
The state has other, easier charges against this guy. That's likely to factor into their thinking.
This decision, though not binding, is significant because it happened here in MA.

Go to it, boys!
WTF did I miss? Sorry I'm late, but smell good.

This is still being discussed in the Bruen thread.

I don't think guys are going to come over here. Might as well go there to discuss it.

100%. SCOTUS rules on Bruen and Massachusetts' answer is HD 4420, yet we're supposed to believe they give enough of a shit about what a judge in Lowell thinks?!

uh.... you know they blinked and didn't push HD4420, right?

Yes, I do. The point I was making is the fact that they had half of what they had in there, along with just about everything else they do, should be more proof that they could care less about what SCOTUS says. As for blinking, I don't think they're just going to forget the whole thing.

Yes, I do. The point I was making is the fact that they had half of what they had in there, along with just about everything else they do, should be more proof that they could care less about what SCOTUS says. As for blinking, I don't think they're just going to forget the whole thing.

And the point I was making is that "Massachusetts' answer" to Bruen was... no answer at all.

They'll come back with something. I've written a dozen posts about that. But Mariano is quite cognizant of Bruen and has no wish to take on SCOTUS; he is conscious of his legacy and he didn't get where he is by being a reckless idealogue. He needs to manage the people in his caucus who want to pick that fight, and we'll see how he does.

So I guess there’s zero percent chance the DA will appeal this and it dies here. One lonely sane judge who follows guidance of higher courts, and nothing changes for MA or any other residents.

So I guess there’s zero percent chance the DA will appeal this and it dies here. One lonely sane judge who follows guidance of higher courts, and nothing changes for MA or any other residents.

Oh, I dunno. One lonely sane judge, who might well have made a different call before Bruen, means there are probably more who'll do the same now. And that possibility is something other DAs will have to think about before they bring charges anywhere else, too. Meaning they might decline to file those charges, which you'll never hear about.

Those effects could very well stem from this, but we'll never know because they'll become things that DIDN'T happen, not things that did. But you can't say "nothing changes." You don't know that.

100%. SCOTUS rules on Bruen and Massachusetts' answer is HD 4420, yet we're supposed to believe they give enough of a shit about what a judge in Lowell thinks?!
Legislature is not the same as the judiciary
SCOTUS can batch slap a judge into next month but they can't do a lot to the Legislature

Back
Top Bottom