• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How would you score?

jmjkd

Instructor
On a scale from 1-5... 5 is best, how would you score on knowledge and use to obtain

----------------P M
Shelter....... 5 5
Fire.............1 5
Water..........1 5
Food............3 5
First aid........3 5
Self defense..5 5

Scored on 2 levels
1. Primitive: no use of man made items.
2. Modern; the use of man made items.

Add your score..I got ..44... out of 60 ......:)

On a scale from 1-5... 5 is best, how would you score on knowledge and use to obtain

----------------P M
Shelter....... 5 5
Fire.............1 5
Water..........1 5
Food............3 5
First aid........3 5
Self defense..5 5

Scored on 2 levels
1. Primitive: no use of man made items.
2. Modern; the use of man made items.

Add your score..I got ..44... out of 60 ......:)

I got a 44 too. Though in reality I like to assume I know less and be surprised at what I DO KNOW or COULD FIGURE OUT.

It’s a self assessment on a scale from 1-5 on the 6 subjects ( fire, shelter etc) mentioned using man made stuff and Primitive or non made materials, you just add up your 2 score?

It’ seems like folks don’t even want to know their level of training. This little quiz gives folks a heads up to where they might be weak if ever TSHTF, but if you don’t even want to see on paper, you will be in for quite a surprise in real world…my.02 cents.

Self assessment is one thing, but people need a little bit more to it than just "Rate yourself." Anyone can rate oneself by saying, I know how to make a fire, modern and primative, so Im a 5, but that doesnt tell the whole picture, how long will it take, can you do it with a piece of ice, are you well versed in all the different ways?

I think people who login and check the "Survival" part of the forum are always 1 or 2 steps ahead. We might not have the "end all, be all" of Survivalist Issues, but we seem to have a good grounding. Its the people that never looked up survival should take a self assessment. Katrina, Haiti, Kommifornia, EOTW situations, people dont think its going to happen until its far too late. I think this is a good Thread Idea, we should all just help to define the structure a little bit better.

For a scale of 1-5, here's the scaling I would recommend people use:

0 - No training or experience. I'm not even sure where to start - Where do I look for information?
1 - I understand what to do, but have no training or experience - Where can I take a training class with hands-on practice?
2 - I have read/researched the topic, but no experience - I would feel comfortable doing it with a back-up
3 - I have moderate training with some practice/experience - I would feel comfortable doing it on my own.
4 - I have training with practical experience. - I would feel comfortable teaching someone else.
5 - I am heavily trained with lots of practical experiance. - I would feel comfortable teaching the guy who wrote the book.

I'm listing 3 catagories for each:

With modern tools & materials - With relavant, but reasonable modern/man-made materials and tools you would pack with you in your bug-out bag or a weekend camping trip.

With modern tools - With reasonable tools that you would carry with you on a full-day hike.

Without modern tools - With just the clothes on your back, no man-made tools (not even a knife)

Using that scale:

Shelter:
With modern tools & Materials: 3
With modern tools: 3
Without modern tools: 2

Water:
With modern tools & materials: 4
Without modern tools: 2

Food:
With modern tools & materials: 3