How US gun culture stacks up with the world

MaverickNH

NES Member

"Ubiquitous gun violence in the United States has left few places unscathed over the decades. Still, many Americans hold their right to bear arms, enshrined in the US Constitution, as sacrosanct. But critics of the Second Amendment say that right threatens another: The right to life. America's relationship to gun ownership is unique, and its gun culture is a global outlier. As the tally of gun-related deaths continue to grow daily, here's a look at how gun culture in the US compares to the rest of the world."

"…gun control advocate Rukmani Bhatia [a Hilary R Clinton Research Fellow] said that the US gun lobby has seized a rights-based narrative "to justify, dangerously, the right to bear, carry, and use firearms."
Stand your ground legislation, she said, "warps people's understanding about their rights to security and, in the worst cases, empowers them to take away another person's right to life."

Nothing new to see here - a rehash and a few updates. Fully one-sided, with no attempt at critical analysis of opposing data and arguments. Just a CNN Thanksgiving hit piece, with lead author Cara Fox (ha - I’ll bet she gets Fox News jabs all the time) a long-time gun control journalist.

They talk about private ownership of guns as though it’s a bad thing…. 😅

46143D6E-6640-4BC4-80CC-C9F3C3CA1C3A.jpeg

Homicide and suicide by guns? In the UN’s 35 Developed country list? That’s a great way to hide the actual homicide and suicide ranking of the uS, which is middling at best.

80730F56-654B-48FF-93C3-FD57874F66AE.jpeg 0B719BE7-3E37-46B5-BB2E-13451CAC3D34.jpeg

Last edited:
The gun debate in those countries is less politicized, Elkins said. In contrast to the US, Guatemala and Mexico's constitutions facilitate regulation, with lawmakers more comfortable restricting guns, especially given concerns around organized crime, he said. In Mexico, there's only one gun store in the entire country -- and it's controlled by the army.
Yep, no violence in Mexico at all. None. Heads just fall off on their own sometimes, it's the weirdest thing!

So gun owners have seized upon a rights based narrative, huh? Strange.
I'd say Rukmani has seized a rights based (1st amendment) narrative to "justify spouting her mouth off about something she knows nothing about"...typical Wellesley grad

"…gun control advocate Rukmani Bhatia [a Hilary R Clinton Research Fellow] said that the US gun lobby has seized a rights-based narrative "to justify, dangerously, the right to bear, carry, and use firearms."
Stand your ground legislation, she said, "warps people's understanding about their rights to security and, in the worst cases, empowers them to take away another person's right to life."

Freedom comes at a price.

Now, if the useless, corrupt .gov would more aggressively pursue and punish violent criminals, maybe those homicide numbers could be reduced.

As for suicides, it is unfortunate that some people reach the point where they see death as the only option, but that is the ultimate personal choice for freedom. Our much vaunted, world class medical establishment is not on board with assisted suicide for the terminally ill, unless you count giving them the jab.

If the gun control advocates have their way, we’ll be killing ourselves by more acceptable methods like hanging, poisoning, and jumping from high places. How donet those means violate a right to life? F1C2C18A-FD29-4F96-A475-D73E9AC94232.jpeg

Show me one study that proves a direct cause and effect relationship between guns and violent crime rates. I'll save you the time. It doesn't exist. These studies, fancy graphs and charts are just over complicated ways to bamboozle the weak minded.

Remove the violent DimocRAT-controlled big cities from the data and the USA is the most peaceful place on earth. [thinking]
Speaking of which, you know how Detroit and Chicago are always racing for most homicides every year? Philly just joined the 500+ club and there's over a month left to go in 2021.

It works out so much better when the government has all the guns.
Pure utopia .
islamic-state-releases-gruesome-video-of-mass-1436030510.png

Tibet%2Bexecutions%2Bchina.jpg

German_soldiers_of_the_Waffen-SS_and_the_Reich_Labor_Service_look_on_as_a_member_of_an_Einsatzgruppe_prepares_to_shoot_a_Ukrainian_Jew_kneeling_on_the_edge_of_a_mass_grave_filled_with_corpses.jpg

I'd say Rukmani has seized a rights based (1st amendment) narrative to "justify spouting her mouth off about something she knows nothing about"...typical Wellesley grad

Another guest trying to tell the host how to run the party.

Imagine what that graph would look like if we could wipe Illinois and California off the map.

Dude you beat me to it. Statistics lie and liars use statistics...

If you remove 6 cities that have practically been exclusively run by Democrats for last 50 years, the US has one of the best gun violence rates in the worls.

Detroit
Chicago
Baltimore
NY City
L.A.
D.C.

Take out those dumpster fire cities and then recalculate and you'll see something very interesting... That tells us we don't have a gun problem in this country. We have a Democrat problem.

If you remove 6 cities that have practically been exclusively run by Democrats for last 50 years, the US has one of the best gun violence rates in the worls.

Detroit
Chicago
Baltimore
NY City
L.A.
D.C.

Take out those dumpster fire cities and then recalculate and you'll see something very interesting... That tells us we don't have a gun problem in this country. We have a Democrat problem.
Democrat problem?

Be more specific...

Who are these shooters, exactly?

I know who the victims are and 95% of their killers have something in common.

Don't talk about that.

Total up the murders in each of those cities and tell me what you get from the total murders in the US.

Detroit
Chicago
Baltimore
NY City
L.A.
D.C.

Make be we should raise funds to ship all the Thugs to DC

Remove the violent DimocRAT-controlled big cities from the data and the USA is the most peaceful place on earth. [thinking]
Yeah, crickets about shootings in cities.

“One analysis found that in 2015, half of all gun homicides in the U.S. took place in just 127 cities, which together contain less than a quarter of the country’s population.3 31 percent of gun murders occurred in the 50 cities with the highest murder rates, though only 6 percent of Americans live in these cities.4Individuals in these cities are 5 times more likely to be murdered with a gun than Americans overall.5In some cities, the risk is much higher: residents of Jackson, MS are 9 times more likely to be the victims of a gun murder than Americans overall.6 In New Orleans, residents face a gun murder rate 11 times greater than other Americans.7”

Yet lawful Gun ownership in most of them is extremely low.

Democrat problem?

Be more specific...

Who are these shooters, exactly?

I know who the victims are and 95% of their killers have something in common.

Don't talk about that.

Total up the murders in each of those cities and tell me what you get from the total murders in the US.

Democrats are soft on crime. Democratic DAs are putting violent criminals back on the streets. Democratic mayors are having police stand down and not have a firm presence in violent crime-riddled communities. Democratic leadership continues to implement policies that propagate poverty and poor education which breeds crime.

There is no doubt a cultural element at play as well as one ethnicity, in particular, seems to glorify a life of crime in their culture. A life of crime Democrat politicians are enabling with weak policing, lax enforcement, low bail for repeat violent offenders, or just a complete lack of prosecution at all... People have a shootout on the streets of Chicago and NO ONE gets prosecuted or charged because they were "mutual combatants"... Yea, and I'm sure all the innocent people taking cover behind heavy objects in their homes, ducking stray bullets.... what would you call them? Damage to cars, homes and buildings... but nope, mayor LightWeight sees no victims here...

People who commit crimes in these Democrat run dumpster fire cities do so because they know they can get away with it. Start locking them up and throwing away the keys and that will change.

Because whenever there are gang shootings, carjackings, violent home invasions, drug crime, and drive-by's, they're always committed by background-checked, LTC-carrying, curved visor Patriots hat wearing, overweight, bearded middle-aged white guys driving registered and insured late model crew cab pickup trucks with Gadsden flag bumper stickers.

Damn you NRA and your "gun culture!"

Yeah, crickets about shootings in cities.

“One analysis found that in 2015, half of all gun homicides in the U.S. took place in just 127 cities, which together contain less than a quarter of the country’s population.3 31 percent of gun murders occurred in the 50 cities with the highest murder rates, though only 6 percent of Americans live in these cities.4Individuals in these cities are 5 times more likely to be murdered with a gun than Americans overall.5In some cities, the risk is much higher: residents of Jackson, MS are 9 times more likely to be the victims of a gun murder than Americans overall.6 In New Orleans, residents face a gun murder rate 11 times greater than other Americans.7”

Yet lawful Gun ownership in most of them is extremely low.
Everytown says:

“Researchers attribute this trend, where a city grows simultaneously safer and more dangerous, to increases in joblessness, segregation, and wealth inequality.17

This concentration means that firearm homicides and assaults disproportionately affect Black Americans.”​

The statistics say there’s more people getting killed where there are more people living. We could either give jobs and money to folks or send them to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, North/South Dakota, Nevada…

9E4A11DF-68E9-440C-82B2-EA27C11442B6.jpeg A8D59488-2E43-4B4B-BA79-201104D68B42.jpeg

I see some problems in the making below…

B12702B7-E621-480A-805E-FA48C597C201.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom