How to Study for Technician Test

The key thing is to be able to get on the air ASAP so you can apply and use ham knowledge since that is how you will really learn. And the only way to do that is to hold a license.

Therefore, probably the most practical way is to accomplish that is to get the ARRL License Manual for the Technician License which can be purchased online or at radio/electronic stores such as Ham Radio Outlet. It has all the test questions listed and with the answers are shown in the back. The front section has summary text that describes the relevant subject matter for each section. I would recommend getting that book (I believe it is about $30) then highlighting or marking the correct answer to each question. Then spend time reading the questions and memorizing the correct answers. Naturally, it will help to reinforce the material if you take some time to refer to the detailed descriptions of the answers but the emphasis should be to remember the answers for the test. Once you get on the air and are using your radio it will be much easier to understand and appreciate the theory and science involved with radio.

This was the advice given to me. And I have to admit the approach went against my better judgment. Being an engineer it just seemed wrong. But in hindsight it worked out fine. I actually used that approach and after less than a week of rather casual and intermittent study was able to pass both the Technician and General tests in a single sitting. Naturally, there were gaps in what I knew but over time they got filled in. The hobby of radio becomes a lifetime of continuous learning.

Another alternative would be to take one of the prep courses for the Technician license. They typically run a day or two and at the end you leave with your license. If you check on line you might be able to find one in your local area.

You've already taken the first step in getting your license by asking for information and that is really the hardest part of the whole process. So, please, follow up now and get that license. You'll be glad you did!

Last edited:
Took my Tech test back in May. Between the QRZ practice tests and an android app you should be able to test yourself and track your progress. You'd be surprised how much you can learn just from taking the practice tests.

QRZ.com practice tests and the ARRL tech study book for some of the theory.

What I'm about to say may sound crass, but it's the advice Gloucester's CAARA ham club gives for their tech-in-a-day class. Grind through the online practice tests until you've memorized the correct answers, then take the test. Don't worry about the theory. Just learn enough of the rules and procedures to stay out of trouble, and by memorizing the correct answers you'll have done that. If ham radio is something you keep as a hobby then the theory will come in time. Get the ticket and get on the air.

A word of caution. It can siphon off your range time or ammo money. Ham radio isn't a hobby; it's 99 hobbies. Weather you like socializing, getting real technical, building things from plans or kits, designing your own stuff, doing public service, competing, earning certificates and awards...you'll find it in ham radio. Learn Morse code and you can work the world with a couple hundred dollars in gear that will fit in a lunch box or you can erect a tower and spend $50K on a contest grade station.

Resources amature radio practice exams
Call me if you have questions. I may be able answer your questions I can help. 413 579 1994
John
KC1ABV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom