How to ship a machine gun?

What is the correct/best way to ship a machine gun? This MG has been sold and is going to a Class III dealer located in another state. I am not a Class III dealer.

Carrier?
Packing material?
Case?
Locked?
Legal requirements?
Any other considerations?

What is the correct/best way to ship a machine gun? This MG has been sold and is going to a Class III dealer located in another state. I am not a Class III dealer.

Carrier?
Packing material?
Case?
Locked?
Legal requirements?
Any other considerations?

1. UPS will be good. It's what Acme has used and RIA used them to ship our BAR.
2. Same as any other firearm. Pack it securely and make sure the packing material is compacted well so nothing inside shifts.
3. If you have one and don't need it back. Put MG in case, put case in cardboard box, ship.
4. No need to.
5. Ship it to the FFL-SOT's premises address on the NFA Form. You or the buyer may want to purchase insurance.
6. Acme uses UPS because of the ease of tracking via their website. Other shippers have similar (FedEx, DHL, etc.)

Get all that from the dealer who it is going to. There will be a transfer tax. Jack.

^ this also. Give them a call.

I'll disagree w/ Adam on this. USPS Registered (you will have to use the special "brown tape") is by far the preferred method for regular folk to send an MG. USPS Registered will "not" get lost (ok its least likely to get lost as it has to be locked/tracked at each location it passes) and they will have enough insurance to cover everything should something happen. if you chose to use Fed EX/ USP make sure you read their shipping/insurance policy, before you ship you might change your mind...

UPS will not pay a claim on NFA weapons . You are limited to FED EX air.

As your question concerns a few different aspects of shipping firearms through UPS, here's a breakdown of all the requirements: Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms). UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.) UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms. Follow These Packing Requirements Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery. All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines

You would be suprised at what UPS has delivered to me over the years. Also USPS. It's up to the shipper to do it correctly, but that is not always the case. I can see why a lot of dealers will not accept shipments from individuals. I've seen it all over the last 30 years. Poor packaging, labels with the gun shops name, indications that there is a firearm in the box, USPS unregistered, you name it. Jack.

Securityboy has it.

USPS registered with the brown tape and insured. A civilian can send it this way, I have. Think the automatic insurance on registered is $5k or $10k of insurance. I had to mail one out of state and this was the way the FFL wanted it. FYI not cheap, was something like $50 for a small MG. it goes from cage to cage with anyone who touches it having to sign for it, basically makes it VERY difficult to steal or lose.

Only way I would send something worth thousands of dollars.

Also, the three day delivery will take a week, minimum. The registered part slows it down significantly.

You can ship UPS ,but good luck getting them to pay for a lost gun or damage.

In 8+ years of shipping firearms via UPS, they have never lost one of mine. The only time they took a long time was to deliver a package in the east-overshoe-corner of AZ.

UPS's tracking is the best, everytime the box moves it is scanned. I have them scan it before they leave the shop and in an hour I have an estimated delivery date. The delivery date is almost always correct unless the delivery is in the east-overshoe-corner of AZ.

3 of the suppliers I use have UPS do their deliveries. One had switched to FedEx and inside a month had so many complaints that they switched back to UPS.

I had one of my personel long guns damaged because of poor packing at the stock shop were it had been repaired. The box was shipped via UPS, we made a claim and received a check in 3 weeks for the amount.

Back
Top Bottom