how to keep warm hunting in the winter woods?

Wool. Its still the best there is, keeps you warm, even if it gets wet, and it is silent. Beans has 1 piece longjohns that have a wool outer layer over a cotton interior, for those who's skin itches when wool contacts it.
Good boots. Mucks, LaCrosse, many other possibilities. Use a toe warmer on top of your sock, not underneath the toes. Warm feet/toes out there is a requirement for me. I like to be able to walk in to swamps, so I usually wear knee high insulated rubber boots with a good wool sock.
My hands get a wool pair of those half gloves with the mitten over them, that you can pop your fingers out of to shoot. I carry hand warmers in case I need them.

I have been looking at the cold weather under armor but they are super expensive. I didnt want to spend all that money to be disapointed. It sounds like I wont.

Carry numerous chemical hand warmers. When you get cold, you can put them in your pockets, socks, and gloves to warm up. Also bring a balaclava plus hat. Thick boots. A couple layers of socks.

And, most importantly, shed layers before you start moving or you will sweat up and then really get cold.

I don't hunt, but for skiing and shooting matches in the cold, UnderArmor coldgear and smartwool socks are excellent.

thermacare.jpg

I don't hunt either but have spent more than my fair share working outdoors.

+1 on the LL Bean Union Suit, which is cotton inside and wool outside (doubles as a last minute Halloween costume)
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/47356?pi=821716&qs=3012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0

Carhart jacket and if you're real serious the Carhart insulated coveralls are awesome--not cheap but well made and will last
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...51&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&categoryId=10908

And lastly the chemical warmers that are made to go in your boots under your toes are well worth it. They're smaller and flatter than the others which tend to overheat.

Last edited:
Layers and Wool. I do not reccomend the Cotton/Wool long johns. You really don't want cotton next to your skin. When you sweat it will absorb it and make you cold. Go for Poly Propelene as it wicks the sweat away from the skin. I like the henley style top with buttons and I usually wear a turtle neck dickie under it.
I wear Poly Long johns. Liner socks, light wool socks with Rag Wool socks and my feet stuffed into pack boots. These are the old Bean Packs with the removable felt liners they no longer sell. If it's REALLY cold out I'll add silk long johns under the poly prop.

Heavy (30 oz) Wool Pants and a Bean Chamious (spelling?) over all the above.

My hunting coat is a jacket and shell. The jacket is packed in my day pack and I just wear the shell until I start to feel a chill.

I've been out all day on stand at -10° in the Nulhagen Basin of VT and been fairly comfortable. If I get cold I'll make a loop around my stand to warm up.

Find a hat with ear flaps that you can adjust down over your ears. I carry a spare dry hat in my pack.

Chemical warmers to keep my hands warm are great. I use fingerless gloves but have a pair of mittens in my pack to go over the gloves.

I've been hunting over 25 years in the North East Kingdom of VT and found that you have to be able to adjust what your wearing with the conditions. Un Zip, unbutton or remove if it warms up. Having an array of clothes that you can change depending on the weather from Cold and dry to cool and rainy to cold as a nuns heart.

I remember one year on the last day of the season sitting on the powerline watching a crossing with my sleeves rolled up and my shirt unbuttoned with my hat off. It was 50°. Last year it rained for 2 weeks. You never know.

It took me several years to put it all together.

Hope that helps,

Another vote for WOOL.

Also Look for a synthetic insolation called Primaloft® It is really warm. It can be found in store/generic brand jackets or your higher end mountaineering brands like Mountain Hardwear. Did i mention its really warm?? I would liken it to down, but you need less of it (not bulky) and repels water to keep loft and ultimately you warm (down wets out and thus cant trap heat).

its more of an outerwear item, but anyone tried columbia's new omni-heat? seems like a good idea, comes in a woodland and a marsh camo pattern too

I have been looking at the cold weather under armor but they are super expensive. I didnt want to spend all that money to be disapointed. It sounds like I wont.

Wrentham outlet has and Under Armor store, and you can save a pretty good amount. I picked up a top and bottom (cold gear) for around $80 i think. If you were going to pick up a set of this, i'd strongly recommend a trip down there.

Back
Top Bottom