How to easily and safely get rid of your firearms for a certain time period

Makes sense. I had initially thought that a judge would order that the firearms be turned over IF they are not found at the person's residence. I guess the very act of telling a PO that you don't want to tell them where the firearms are located is a felony on it's own. I'm confused by the actual physical seizure of the firearms anyways. I'd assume the police would have a warrant-like ability to enter the home and search for anything firearm related and confiscate. I just don't know what happens if nothing is found.

Another excellent question. I'm curious about this as well.

The OP stated that it was suggested to him that he get rid of the guns to "help the marriage".

I can testify that it's not so easy to sell guns instantly. It depends a lot on what the gun is and price you are looking to get for it (obviously).

So - I would think if the friend of the OP were to "sell" his guns to a trusted friend for some "reasonable" amount of money - say $100 or $200. Then the OP's friend would have a very reasonable argument in front of any court that he sold the guns as quickly as he could to help the marriage. Because of the extended nature of trying to sell some firearms - and because the OP was attempting to salvage the marriage - he jumped on the offer from the friend to buy the guns just to get them out of the house.

Make sure you say it with a straight face. Don't let on that you got the guns out of the house to save the guns - put on your actors face and make it look like you did it to save the marriage. Let the marriage fail for whatever the other reasons are causing it not to work by removing the guns from the equation. If things are really that bad anyway - it WILL fail although you might gain some time before the final implosion by removing the guns. The bonus is that you will be able to distance the gun sale from the final implosion of the marriage and hopefully also remove the ownership of the guns as a sticking point the further you get from that sale.

It might take longer to dissolve the marriage this way - but on the surface it makes the OP's friend look "better" for having done it and hopefully keeps him out of being persecuted for the guns.

Wife: " I want the guns out of the house!"

You: " Ok OK I''ll do it!"

Wife: " did you get rid of those guns yet?"

You: " YES I got rid of all of them I had to take a huge hit because nobody was willing to give me the price I was looking for but they're gone - I hope you're happy!"

Then you can move onto the real problems.

Lots of good advice here....I agree with a "sale" of all fire arms to a friend immediately and with documents to prove they were sold and out of possession.....then after it all calms down buy then back. Could also try to trap the soon to be ex.....don't tell her you sold them......leave the safe empty or empty cases where u usually did and don't tell her the guns are going so she might think you still have em......then see is she goes for a. RO stating you threatened her with a fire arm and you got her for purgery Cruz they weren't even in the house.

I disagree - I would get rid of the guns , and the safe - and everything. Remove the guns from the equation entirely so that the REAL problems in the marriage come to the forefront.

The wife is likely - maybe even subconciously - using those guns as an excuse.

If the safe stays around it's just a reminder they might come back.

Don't give her the excuse.

How about serving an RO on HER first?

Frankly, it's best to rise above all the BS. Don't come off like the wackjob, it might feel good at first, but it would just come back to bite you. Best to be nice and let everyone else act stupid.

Frankly, it's best to rise above all the BS. Don't come off like the wackjob, it might feel good at first, but it would just come back to bite you. Best to be nice and let everyone else act stupid.

I would agree with you, but this is about all the BS I would get handed if she did it first.

I don't EVER want to be in a giving or receiving position, my statement about doing it first was merely an attempt to protect MY a$$.

I would agree with you, but this is about all the BS I would get handed if she did it first.

I don't EVER want to be in a giving or receiving position, my statement about doing it first was merely an attempt to protect MY a$$.

I hear you, but it won't protect you. I think the problem I've seen with people is that the turmoil between two people gets so thick that it bleeds into legal proceedings when legal proceedings don't give a dam about what can't be proven or he said she said crap. Remember, the truth will come out eventually and, if you try to file a restraining order just to protect your ass, that will be exactly what a judge will see in court.

I hear you, but it won't protect you. I think the problem I've seen with people is that the turmoil between two people gets so thick that it bleeds into legal proceedings when legal proceedings don't give a dam about what can't be proven or he said she said crap. Remember, the truth will come out eventually and, if you try to file a restraining order just to protect your ass, that will be exactly what a judge will see in court.

But isn't she protecting HERSELF with a bogus one?

I can see a legitimate reason for getting one other than protecting my guns. Frankly I might want NO contact with her.

Disclosure: I'm divorced, easy overall, no RO's little BS etc.

I get the high road stuff, and I'm all for it, but if she wants to play dirty, this may be the only way to protect myself from any BS and not just guns... Just a thought vs burring them in another state, selling them, bonded warehouses fees, annoyance etc...

That's the angle my suggestion comes from. It's been suggested to him that he get rid of the guns. He could play into that request - make it look like the only way he could comply quickly like was asked - was to sell them for a price that isn't close to the "market" price. Saying he sold for a dollar makes the whole thing unbelievable. If at all possible - don't let on that they were sold to a friend.

Get rid of the safe too - that's just a "reminder". Once the guns are removed from the equation - then let the situation play out - AND he has a card to play at that point because he can say " I tried to make it work - I got rid of something that was very valuable to me and gave me pleasure - but in the end this still failed because there were too many problems in the marriage and she didn't want to resolve them " - or some such thing.

If you can play it right - the "past" ownership of the guns - might be reduced to background noise while the other issues in the marriage would come to the forefront and be taken as the real reasons why the whole thing failed. With any luck the marriage dissolves without getting the guy in any sort of hot water - and he just goes and gets his guns after the whole escapade is over and done with.

But isn't she protecting HERSELF with a bogus one?

I can see a legitimate reason for getting one other than protecting my guns. Frankly I might want NO contact with her.

Disclosure: I'm divorced, easy overall, no RO's little BS etc.

I get the high road stuff, and I'm all for it, but if she wants to play dirty, this may be the only way to protect myself from any BS and not just guns... Just a thought vs burring them in another state, selling them, bonded warehouses fees, annoyance etc...

Acting like an adult and having the truth on one's side is always the best defense. I can't speak to any other method really.

As an example: I have a co-worker who got divorced a number of years ago. When it finally became apparent that he was getting divorced - and even before he went to court to set the spousal support and child support and all that - he went online - looked up what he was going to have to pay - and just started paying.

Now - the wife was a wackjob - and he knew it. She claimed he did all sorts of crap that he never did. She even got the first payment from him before they ever went to court. When they went to court and stood before the judge - he let her lead off with all sorts of rants about how he was a bad husband, abuse, not paying his share - etc. He then got his turn and told the judge he had gone online and found out what he had to pay - and paid it - without even being asked to. He pulled out all the paperwork and showed the judge that SHE had cashed the check. The fact that he let her lie about it to the judge first - make her look like a total ass in front of the judge. The judge reamed her a new one on that.

Score One for him.

As an example: I have a co-worker who got divorced a number of years ago. When it finally became apparent that he was getting divorced - and even before he went to court to set the spousal support and child support and all that - he went online - looked up what he was going to have to pay - and just started paying.

Now - the wife was a wackjob - and he knew it. She claimed he did all sorts of crap that he never did. She even got the first payment from him before they ever went to court. When they went to court and stood before the judge - he let her lead off with all sorts of rants about how he was a bad husband, abuse, not paying his share - etc. He then got his turn and told the judge he had gone online and found out what he had to pay - and paid it - without even being asked to. He pulled out all the paperwork and showed the judge that SHE had cashed the check. The fact that he let her lie about it to the judge first - make her look like a total ass in front of the judge. The judge reamed her a new one on that.

Score One for him.

Bingo.

Bah, stupid spread reputation around commie message.

Acting like an adult and having the truth on one's side is always the best defense. I can't speak to any other method really.

I get it, I do... But my original question is, that IF she is going to serve you an RO, would it be wise to do it first?

I don't think taking the high road and getting served myself, having the cops turn over my house looking for everything that has been FA10ed, every loose piece of ammo, primer, shell casing etc. taken, my right to self defense, the ability to shoot, having my guns go to a bonded warehouse, paying fees or loosing them is the best road...

It's just a question... It's not about trying to hurt or manipulate someone, it's about protecting yourself from a malicious attack. If she's willing to do that, would you want her in your life? I would not and would welcome the silence...

If you think getting the RO first will help, sorry but she can still file for an RO as well and at that point perhaps two households get turned upside down. Only ones that make out on these aggressive, confrontational approaches are the attorneys . . . you rack up more hours = more $$. And that is why some push their clients to go the RO route.

If you think getting the RO first will help, sorry but she can still file for an RO as well and at that point perhaps two households get turned upside down. Only ones that make out on these aggressive, confrontational approaches are the attorneys . . . you rack up more hours = more $$. And that is why some push their clients to go the RO route.

Yep. Just plan on adding a zero to your legal bill. Just my opinion here, but the divorce settlement would likely be similar if not completely the same regardless the shenanigans so why spend the money and endure the stress?

Also, it isn't as if judges, lawyers, clerks, et. al. don't see this everyday. They can tell fairly quickly exactly what's happening.

This .... plus the fact that frequently she will be filing the bogus RO to get you out of the house, not after you've left; so to file one against her first, in your own house will likely get your own guns confiscated.

Last edited:
Yep. Just plan on adding a zero to your legal bill. Just my opinion here, but the divorce settlement would likely be similar if not completely the same regardless the shenanigans so why spend the money and endure the stress?
People in divorce situations aren't thinking like rational adults, they're thinking like libtards and children, operating based on emotion and lashing out at their soon-to-be ex-spouse

This .... plus the fact that frequentlyshe will be filing the bogus RO to get you out of the house, not after you've left; so to file one against her first, in your own house will likely get your own guns confiscated.

The other thing is that, if there are children involved, your first thought should be about keeping them safe and away from BS like ROs, etc. Say a husband and wife fire off restraining orders, claiming abuse, etc. and DSS gets involved. Then you have just put your children in jeopardy of being carted off to a foster home and you can see them with a social worker present once a month.

Forget it. Be nice, be honest, be the good guy. Best thing to do.

OK, I'm out of this thread... Yes, no matter what it's a dick move be it her or I...

So if divorce lawyers recommend woman file BS retraining Orders on men is SOP, then a man doing the same thing is a jerk... Got it...

I'm not even married right now, so it was just a question... My divorce was easy, so I'm not even bitter...

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify my question, I was asking if you KNEW she was going to, do you do it before her? Not simply to be a dick...

The other thing is that, if there are children involved, your first thought should be about keeping them safe and away from BS like ROs, etc. Say a husband and wife fire off restraining orders, claiming abuse, etc. and DSS gets involved. Then you have just put your children in jeopardy of being carted off to a foster home and you can see them with a social worker present once a month.

Forget it. Be nice, be honest, be the good guy. Best thing to do.

To clarify my question, I was asking if you KNEW she was going to, do you do it before her? Not simply to be a dick...

You could, but it'd probably fail miserably, and even if it didn't, then your odds go from not having one to definitely getting one in "return". Call it misandry or whatever you want, but I would bet nearly anything that courts scrutinize 209As initiated by males way more often than the fairer gender.

Not to mention the woman usually doesn't have guns, and a 209A for a gunless person is in the class of "annoyance", whereas for a gun owner being under lautenberg is pretty crippling. So as a result, the pain train really only rolls one way. [thinking]

-Mike

My divorce was easy, so I'm not even bitter...

It sounds like you did it the best way.

Do you understand what the criteria is SUPPOSED TO BE for a 209A RO?

- It is supposed to be ONLY for when one party feels THREATENED (bodily harm) by the other party. It is not supposed to be to keep people away or because one doesn't like the other person anymore and wants them to disappear.

And it is very destructive to kids, so if there are any involved this will backfire against both parties for the rest of their lives as the kids hold a grudge and if they figure out it was BS, they will hate that party even more.

An RO won't stop a bullet or a knife and they don't lock the person that you got the RO against up for life, so making them bitter if they do have anger problems will only make it worse not better. If things can be worked out (even if only for the kids' sake) that is the best way for all involved and cheats the attorneys out of a good hunk of change.

Even the most cordial divorce can become nasty very quickly... Have your friend call the cops and tell them the wife stole all of his guns and he is frightened for his life.
I think I would sell the few I treasured most to a friend and sell the rest outright to a lgs. Use the money to spend some quality time with a split tail. We get so screwed by the mere mention of guns but we can't even fight it....

Back
Top Bottom