How to determine if you redo or leave as is? Browning No1 FN M1900

mac1911

NES Member
OK so I have not found any in detail info aboutthis model other than it was brownings 1st model with a slide, built for 11 years and about 750,000 or so made. So far from what I can see is it needs a safety spring, grips and a new action spring. Although it functions I found a small piece of spring when I removed the slide. The barrel is ok for its age with some muzzle wear. I have considered browning for a redo, but their customer service on my shotguns has been less than acceptable. So waiting a half century for them to redo is not in my desires. View attachment 9172

I am going to be contrary on this. I say don't refinish it. It is in poor condition but it has the original grips and is probably mostly if not all original. But it is on the border line of being in such poor condition that a refinish job would not be worse than leaving it as is. But try and salvage the grips.

Terra I took great care to remove the grips, they have shrunk over the years and are cracking, then put them away in a safe spot to avoid any handleing damage. I took a tip from firearmsforum and used a small plastic punch to turn the metal retaining strips holding the grips to the frame. The screw become locked in the grips after many years.
As far as condition, Thats why I am on the fence on redo or not. @ the moment I am into for short money.
Theres a side of me that likes all the guns I own to work. + side, I have seen this gun in use in the past. It does function. aside from the safety/slide lock spring.

Back
Top Bottom