How to carry to and from the range?

New shooter here. In NH, what is the procedure for transporting your firearm and ammo to and from the range without a carry license?

The firearm and ammo need to be separate but how is separate defined? Can I put everything in the trunk so long as they are in separate "containers"? or does one or the other need to be up front while the other is in the trunk?

Thanks.

Welcome to NES, great to have you here! Read the NH Gun Law section, I am certain your answers are all there, also read the sticky's they also have a wealth of info. Many will tell you to search, reason is, as your searching, you will come across info you may have not known about but as important as your original question. Again welcome, and safe shooting. Be good![smile]

I think it just needs to be unloaded, but I'm not completely sure. My suggestion is to download an CCW application form, fill it out and drop at your local PD. In 14 days pick up your CCW license. No tests, training requirements, interviews or any other BS, $10. I did this before buying my guns because I didn't want to bother worrying about how to transport it or some cop's interpretation.

App link.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

Short answer is "unloaded".

New shooter here. In NH, what is the procedure for transporting your firearm and ammo to and from the range without a carry license? The firearm and ammo need to be separate but how is separate defined? Can I put everything in the trunk so long as they are in separate "containers"? or does one or the other need to be up front while the other is in the trunk?
Short answer is "unloaded". Long answer is, you have two sets of rules to comply with -- state law, and Fish & Game. Even with a "pistol permit", F&G prohibits the carry of a loaded rifle or shotgun in or on any motor vehicle.

No reason to over think the question, just follow the recommendations of PGNH. Additionally, to avoid running afoul of F&G, long arms must be unloaded in the vehicle, and best not to have any ammo or loaded magazines "touching" the weapon.

Yep, without a carry license, just make sure they are unloaded. Then, simply throw your stuff on your seat and go to the range. No need making more of this then it really is. You don't need to box them, lock them or anything else.

Just to expand a little on the definition of "loaded", there is case law that indicates that "loaded" may include any magazines containing ammunition (emphasis not mine)...

Penny S. Dean said:
The definition of a loaded and concealed pistol or revolver MAY include loaded clips or magazines. This matter has not been decided by the New Hampshire Supreme Court to the best of my knowledge, however, currently it is my understanding that at least one Superior Court has decided that an individual in possession of a new pistol and two loaded magazines was carrying a concealed firearm without a license when he had the pistol and magazines on the seat of his car, and thus better safe than sorry, get a license!

http://www.gonh.org/uploads/images/29/FAQ_3-9-10.pdf

IANAL, YMMV etc.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I don't plan on carrying but I guess I'll fill out the app anyway for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom