• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to address a Deputy Chief of Police

My plan is to apply for my LTC-A in January when I'm on winter break. I was thinking it might be a good idea to start 'probing' to make sure I set up an appointment early enough, and on my local PD's website they say to call or email the Deputy Chief. I was thinking a short and courteous email would be a good start, asking when I should call and make an appointment for January. How should I address the email:
Dear Deputy Chief (NAME)? Is there some other way? Forgive me if I sound stupid for asking this!

I know everyone uses e-mail now-a-days, but when it comes to any of my firearms related issues I always take the time to type up a letter sign it in ink, address an envelope and hand deliver it to the police station. It is not necessary, I just think it seems so much more professional. I have even run into the chief when delivering and discussed whatever it is I need to talk with him about right on the spot.

Just something to consider.

Good luck with your application.

I've also found that for whatever reason, some in a PD or two never even read their Emails (or they drop in a "black hole")! In at least one set of cases, the chief told me that none of the website Email addresses worked. [I was then given personal Email addresses that did work, so they weren't blowing smoke.]

Dear Obersturmfuhrer?

[rofl] [laugh2]

I generally use first names, but I am literally on a first name basis with most of the LEOs that I've had to deal with over the years. [wink]

[I wasn't your "usual kid" who got into trouble, but growing up my first baby sitter retired many years later as a Capt. in Brookline PD, as a teenager I knew most of the officers in my town (Randolph) - went to school with the Lt and Sgt's Daughter/Niece (later one was Chief the other Lt), the Chief in Holbrook was a close personal friend, went to school with the Fire Chief's Daughter and gave him a ride home one day when he dropped off his town vehicle at Good Brothers for repair (regrettably he passed away of a heart attack in his 40s a few years later, RIP Don), went to school with the prior Randolph Chief's Brother, graduated (and worked on class reunions) with the current Chief's late Wife (RIP Elaine), etc.]

Last edited:
[rofl] [laugh2]

I generally use first names, but I am literally on a first name basis with most of the LEOs that I've had to deal with over the years. [wink]

[I wasn't your "usual kid" who got into trouble, but growing up my first baby sitter retired many years later as a Capt. in Brookline PD, as a teenager I knew most of the officers in my town (Randolph) - went to school with the Lt and Sgt's Daughter/Niece (later one was Chief the other Lt), the Chief in Holbrook was a close personal friend, went to school with the Fire Chief's Daughter and gave him a ride home one day when he dropped off his town vehicle at Good Brothers for repair (regrettably he passed away of a heart attack in his 40s a few years later, RIP Don), went to school with the prior Randolph Chief's Brother, graduated (and worked on class reunions) with the current Chief's late Wife (RIP Elaine), etc.]

Wow!!!! You gave a ride to the Fire Chief ????!!!!

Last edited:
Wow!!!! You gave a ride to the Fire Chief ????!!!!

Just pointing out that I was on a first-name basis with these guys. Was at the dealership for something at the same time and offered Don a ride home rather than having him call the FD or his Wife for a ride back.

Why wouldn't you just call him by his first name?

Maybe it's part of getting older but someone who works for a local government isn't at some higher strata than I am and therefore won't warrant being addressed by a title.

My plan is to apply for my LTC-A in January when I'm on winter break. I was thinking it might be a good idea to start 'probing' to make sure I set up an appointment early enough, and on my local PD's website they say to call or email the Deputy Chief.

Also stop by the cop shop in person and ask the duty officer what's involved for getting a "gun license." In lots of MA towns, they have a routine procedure and even some procedural handouts, because they treat an application as more or less routine. Perhaps a letter is in order, but if your town treats LTC applicants fairly, might someone perceive a special letter as hinting, "what's this guy got to hide?"

Check the "climate" in your town first; there's a thread elsewhere on their board that can provide a first hint.

Back
Top Bottom