How long have you been preping?

I guess that depends on the meaning of "prepping".

I've always carried a little survival stuff in my car. Sometimes a little as a cig lighter, some rope and a space blanket, and during winter a sleeping bag. Last year I added a "2 day get home bag" to the cars.
The last 4 years I've been slowly increasing my preps at home with long shelf life food, generator, first aid, etc.

I've had jumper cables, a tow strap and a backpack in my vehicle since I was 16. Mostly because it broke down a lot. SO.....30+ years.

It's only gotten worse as I've gotten older and had the economic ability to fund it....just remember, you can't eat a rifle.

Shortly after we joined this forum, I came home from work one day and spouse said, "you know, i saw this ad on TV for a company called Wise. Do you think we should?" Before that, we always just had cases of bottled water on hand for when the electric goes out (no well water) After the last hurricane to hit ME a few years back, we bought a generator, flashlights, candles, an indoor propane heater (Mr. Heater "buddy") and lots of propane. Thought we were well prepared till I started reading this forum. Now, we've increased our supplies of the above, added a stockpile of rotated canned goods, and are gradually adding buckets of long-term storage food, as sales/budgets allow. We also have a decent amount of ammo on hand, made easier by the fact that both our firearms use the same caliber. Now if we could only find more time to spend at the club, improving our accuracy. . . Seriously, do i feel prepared/ not really. Ask me again on Nov. 9

Iv been prepping since the October Snow storm a few years back. It was the first time iv ever experienced no heat with freezing temps for 1 week straight. Sterno heaters and a coffee can was my stove and it worked. Ever since then i make sure i have enough supplies on hand that i can make it 3/4 weeks. Plenty of extra blankets, A stupid amount of hand and feet warmers and plenty of easily cooked food.

I would say about 7 years of taking it semi seriously. That's when I bought my house and had the capacity to start stocking up more on stuff like food, fuel, etc...

Since I've had a car I've always made sure to have rope, duct tape, a shovel and quick-lime in the trunk. Does that count?
I'm thinking they'll be needing your services in Chappaqua, NY, Tuesday night, say sometime around 11pm... (or whenever North Carolina or Ohio reports their results, and the "270" appears next Trump's name on the scoreboard...)

Just sayin'

Iv been prepping since the October Snow storm a few years back. It was the first time iv ever experienced no heat with freezing temps for 1 week straight. Sterno heaters and a coffee can was my stove and it worked. Ever since then i make sure i have enough supplies on hand that i can make it 3/4 weeks. Plenty of extra blankets, A stupid amount of hand and feet warmers and plenty of easily cooked food.

This... I went through a 4 day power outage in Jan - Feb with the wife and educated her quite a bit on how we could be better prepared for these situations as well as longer duration. We now have a generator hooked into our power panel that runs off of dual fuel (gas/propane), 30 days supply of food and a minimum of 50 gallons of potable water with the ability to make plenty more.
If the the wife is not a prepper, situations like that can actually help you in the long run to get her on your side..

When I was a kid and saw all those people trapped in their cars during the bizard of 78. That's when I figured out the government can't protect you. So since 1978 I've been prepping.

Back
Top Bottom