How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Springfield renewal, turned paperwork in on 1 May, received card in the mail on 28 June while I was training near the Cape, picked up new license today, No Restrictions.

I just heard from a friend that his buddy had to wait nearly 11 months in the city of Fall River, he said he had just forgotten about it and just about a year later it showed up. I can’t imagine waiting that long for something that should take a couple months at most. Hope mine shows up sooner than later..today makes 100 days since my “interview”

Needham. 3 months and still waiting. They got me in quickly and were very easy to deal with which got my hopes up that it would be a fast turnaround. Obviously that was naive considering this is Mass.

I just heard from a friend that his buddy had to wait nearly 11 months in the city of Fall River, he said he had just forgotten about it and just about a year later it showed up. I can’t imagine waiting that long for something that should take a couple months at most. Hope mine shows up sooner than later..today makes 100 days since my “interview”
You mean a couple of hours or a week at most.

according to my PD, they haven't received any licenses from the state in a while, so they are expecting a big shipment of them. Could be the same issue across the state? Mine was "activated" early last week, and the FRB said it would be sent within 3 business days, apparently not. Ruins my plans for the weekend.

Did my LTC renewal last year and it was about 2 months and my wife who did it the same day but new LTC got hers a week sooner.. My kid FID in the fall took about 2 months. My oldest kid applied for his LTC mid May and he is still waiting. Hope this helps.

Excellent, thanks!

Boston

I'd try calling your local PD and nicely check in to see what's going on. Mine coincidentally got approved the same day I called to check on it.

I'm probably being a little impatient overall, but I started this whole process back in December so I'm going on 7 months now.

It’s crazy that the times difference it’s all over the place, that’s what happens when there is no accountability for people’s bad actions. I mean it is what it is and complaining will not help but certainly it’s annoying. Mines took about 35 days and I was anxious, can’t imagine not hearing anything for 100 days

Last edited:
It’s crazy that the times difference it’s all over the place, that’s what happens when there is no accountability for people’s bad actions. I mean it is what it and complaining will not help but certainly it’s annoying. Mines took about 35 days and I was anxious, can’t imagine not hearing anything for 100 days

Yeah this sucks! Definitely hoping to see it in my mailbox soon! I have a squeaky clean record, there’s no reason I should be waiting this long when my buddy 15 minutes away in the next town over got his and bought his gun in 6 weeks total.

Boston

I'd try calling your local PD and nicely check in to see what's going on. Mine coincidentally got approved the same day I called to check on it.

I'm probably being a little impatient overall, but I started this whole process back in December so I'm going on 7 months now.

This makes me feel a little better, kind of. I called in January for my interview and am still waiting. Moon Island was May 16th. Obviously still nothing yet. Let me know when it shows up. I’ll know I’m a few weeks out after that. Maybe.

Also, I don’t think getting impatient after 7 months is unreasonable. My wife is ready to strangle me because I keep checking the mail.

This makes me feel a little better, kind of. I called in January for my interview and am still waiting. Moon Island was May 16th. Obviously still nothing yet. Let me know when it shows up. I’ll know I’m a few weeks out after that. Maybe.

Also, I don’t think getting impatient after 7 months is unreasonable. My wife is ready to strangle me because I keep checking the mail.
You can call the FRB hotline for a status update, BPD said they were running 8-10 weeks when I talked to them around week 5. Mine was “activated” 2 weeks ago by the state, and they said they would be out to the PD’s within 3 days after that. Apparently the guy who prints or mails them is on vacation or something.

I will say everyone at BPD I’ve dealt with throughout the whole ordeal has been very nice.

I think my wife is in the same boat as yours, haha. I shot moon island on May 4, so I'd think you should be any day now as well.

Last edited:
You can call the FRB hotline for a status update, BPD said they were running 8-10 weeks when I talked to them around week 5. Mine was “activated” 2 weeks ago by the state, and they said they would be out to the PD’s within 3 days after that. Apparently the guy who prints or mails them is on vacation or something.

I will say everyone at BPD I’ve dealt with throughout the whole ordeal has been very nice.

I think my wife is in the same boat as yours, haha. I shot moon island on May 4, so I'd think you should be any day now as well.

I’ve called the FRB hotline twice. Monday before the 4th it was still “under review”. The gentleman on the line told me that even if it was approved that day, it would still be a few weeks.
I was kind of prepared for this, having read previous posts. It’s still frustrating because the timeline seems like it’s a moving target. I’m guessing it will be close to 8 months from phone call, to license, using all first available dates.

My experience with BPD was the same as yours. I got the feeling the licensing officers understand that we have to jump through some BS hoops and they tried to be as helpful as possible. There’s no point in being rude, they don’t make these ridiculous policies. Give respect, get respect.

I haven’t called BPD for a check up yet though. I’ll do that Monday, just so they know I haven’t gone away.
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve called the FRB hotline twice. Monday before the 4th it was still “under review”. The gentleman on the line told me that even if it was approved that day, it would still be a few weeks.
I was kind of prepared for this, having read previous posts. It’s still frustrating because the timeline seems like it’s a moving target. I’m guessing it will be close to 8 months from phone call, to license, using all first available dates.

My experience with BPD was the same as yours. I got the feeling the licensing officers understand that we have to jump through some BS hoops and they tried to be as helpful as possible. There’s no point in being rude, they don’t make these ridiculous policies. Give respect, get respect.

I haven’t called BPD for a check up yet though. I’ll do that Monday, just so they know I haven’t gone away.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah my experience was 2-3 weeks to activation after it got approved. Although coincidentally mine got approved the same day I called BPD to check on the status, so I guess it doesn't hurt to call

Yeah my experience was 2-3 weeks to activation after it got approved. Although coincidentally mine got approved the same day I called BPD to check on the status, so I guess it doesn't hurt to call

I feel calling my local PD they will get annoyed with me and ill never see it haha just patiently waiting over here 100 days in like.......

I feel calling my local PD they will get annoyed with me and ill never see it haha just patiently waiting over here 100 days in like.......
Well, not calling them after 100 days will have you ignored. You can call and be polite.

Called BPD this time. 10 weeks to the day since interview, 9 weeks since moon island.
“Everything looks good, we’ll send it to the state today” officer was nice enough, but really?
Haven’t even sent it to the state yet? Is this a joke? Judging by Smithb9’s timeline I have another 2-3 weeks, at least? I guess?

Definitely call your local PD to make sure things are still moving along.
Crikey, what a process.

Ill be stopping by my local PD first thing in the morning to try and get some info on my application. I called the hotline this afternoon and they told me they haven’t received anything from the PD yet and its pending.. After 100 days of waiting you would think they would have at least sent it out or just plain out denied me by now. Ill post back when I find out what the PD had to tell me. “Fingers crossed”

Many of the posts here (and many LEOs at the PD) show a total lack of understanding on how MA processes LTC/FID applications/renewals.

Years ago I posted a flow-chart provided to me by the Director of FRB. Nobody can force you to read it, but doing so may give you a better understanding of how the process really works.
MA Firearms License Application Process - Oct 2013

No PD (except maybe if a few lack Internet and electricity) SENDS any paperwork by Mail (other than fingerprint cards on initial issue if they don't do it electronically). When a PD types your info into MIRCS, your application has been SENT to FRB. If you were given a MIRCS receipt, there is your proof that your application was sent.

Now the flow-chart shows many steps where PD has to do "something" to continue the process. This is where things "haven't been submitted" . . . as a low priority task, many LOs may not check and continue the process for days/weeks/and in some cases months.

BTW, denials come rather quickly, so if you are waiting, waiting, waiting . . . you will eventually some month receive your LTC . . . when they "get around to it"!

Renewal in Danvers. Submitted May 5 for a mid August expiration. Called state to check status on July 11 and was told it was activated and had been mailed to PD (didnt say when). Received in the mail today July 20. So just about 2 1/2 months.

Back
Top Bottom