• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Quincy

Wife and I dropped off application and finger printed on 11/17/16.
Wife got her unrestricted license 3 weeks later.

Me, PD approved it on 11/20/16, still waiting for it to be activated. [sad]

My wife is currently at 60 days. 60 Days on the backlog to even schedule the meeting that will be another 4 weeks out to even start the 90 day counter. So at minimum a total of 6 months at this point.

Wow, what a difference out here in central MA. I got the note from DCJIS in the mail yesterday stating that "fingerprint based background checks are taking longer than usual. We urge you to start your renewal application as soon as possible" so I stopped in to the PD this morning with app and check in hand. The process person said "I don't understand why they are telling people to come in so early." My current license will not expire for three months. I sat down as she checked the paper application that I had given her against what was in the system from my last renewal and updated the few changes that were made to the form. She took my picture and gave me a receipt saying "OK, you're all set for another six years". The whole thing took about 10 minutes. No appointment, no waiting.

My LTC expired 12/8/2016 on my 70th birthday. I was interviewed on 12/9/2016 .My renewal arrived 1/10/2017, about 4 weeks. No restrictions, no charge, in Chicopee. Chicopee police were great and fast.

Last edited:
Auburn MA:
Contacted Licensing officer through email on 12/16/17.
Received a response on 12/17/16. He wanted me to come in that day I did not ketch the email in time.
Received a phone call 12/18/16 asking if i could come in I could not due to work.
Emailed him 12/20/16 saying I can come on my lunch break that's a 30-45min he said he could get it done. Was finger printed and processed that day. Interview was fairly easy very nice guy.
Called Firearms bureau on 1/11/17 they told me it was mailed out 1/6/17.
Called auburn pd. They did not receive it yet. hopefully get a call in the next couple days to pick it up![smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Auburn MA:
Contacted Licensing officer through email on 12/16/17.
Received a response on 12/17/16. He wanted me to come in that day I did not ketch the email in time.
Received a phone call 12/18/16 asking if i could come in I could not due to work.
Emailed him 12/20/16 saying I can come on my lunch break that's a 30-45min he said he could get it done. Was finger printed and processed that day. Interview was fairly easy very nice guy.
Called Firearms bureau on 1/11/17 they told me it was mailed out 1/6/17.
Called auburn pd. They did not receive it yet. hopefully get a call in the next couple days to pick it up![smile]
Got the call January 16, 2017.
So just over 3 weeks to receive it.
Awesome job by Auburn PD.

Last edited:
Northbridge

Applied 8 weeks ago. Still waiting. But in fairness, the LO did say it would be 10 weeks when I submitted my application.

Tried calling the hotline to check the status, but hung up after 25 minutes on hold. Guess I'm just impatient [grin]

Billerica LTC-A time

In Billerica:

My girlfriend just got her LTC: (yay!)

Nov. 22, '16: dropped off paperwork and paid, got a receipt. She was told "10-12 weeks for an interview"

Dec. 21, '16: PD called to set up an appointment for Jan. 4, '17

Jan. 4, '17: 10 minute appointment with a woman who was not the CLEO, most of that was playing with the fingerprint machine, Told "4-6 weeks for the background check". Also told, "most" or "many" of the new applicants are women.

Feb. 2, '17: LTC-A restrictions: none showed up in the mail.

That's 72 days from payment and submitting paperwork, 29 days from the "interview".

Wife and two of her girlfriends all got their Unrestricted LTCs (new - not renewals) this past week. All had their interviews/applications submitted in mid-December - so about 6-7 weeks start to finish. All in Auburn.

Norton- still waiting. 19 weeks. Last call to dcjis/frb was a good one, they said it's pending activation by the frb and should get in 2 to 3 weeks. This was 3 weeks ago. Pd mails it to holder...should be any day now i would think. Ridiculous.

This is considered a green town.

Reading
licence up for renewal January 2017
applied for renewal in June 2016
had interview in August 2016
as of now February 2017 I have still not received my renewed license.

Expired licence is still active. I made 3 purchases since the expiration date.
not an excuse though. They (PD)slow walk the paperwork here. it's completely rediculous.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but do women get their ltc s fast than men? For obvious reasons ......

I don't think so. PDs are equally slow for males or females! [thinking]

Reading
licence up for renewal January 2016
applied for renewal in June 2015
had interview in August 2015
as of now February 2016 I have still not received my renewed license.

Expired licence is still active. I made 3 purchases since the expiration date.
not an excuse though. They (PD)slow walk the paperwork here. it's completely rediculous.

Check your dates above. Are you really waiting >1.5 yrs for your LTC?

Wife applied for renewal one month ago and got a call that they don't have her fingerprints on file. She has to take another day off to get prints taken again. [rolleyes]

Good work there MA. Good thing she isn't a felon.

... yet? [wink]

Changed dates. Its actually been 7 mos since I initiated renewal and 1 month since my expiration on my license. Still outrageous.

I just went through an 11 month wait to get an interview appointment after moving back to the PRM. Once I got the "interview" it was <20 days from the LEO sending submitting (I watched him do it) to me having license in hand. Would have been 10 days had the PD called me when it arrived... The guy was very nice about it all, mentioned the failings of other officers tasked with licensing duties, and processed it quickly without any weird questions. Granted I had a pile of licenses/certifications/etc to hand him along with my "please let me have my constitutional rights, almighty CLEO - praise unto thee" letter.

Have you been in touch with the PD at all?

Have you been in touch with the PD at all?[/QUOTE]

Yes. They said it is being processed and that in the mean time I can carry and make purchases. So I made three purchases since the expiration and all without issue.

What is funny to me is that the processing of this paper work is routine monkey work and yet no one can get their shit together to do their job. ****ing ridiculous.

Yes. They said it is being processed and that in the mean time I can carry and make purchases. So I made three purchases since the expiration and all without issue.

What is funny to me is that the processing of this paper work is routine monkey work and yet no one can get their shit together to do their job. ****ing ridiculous.

You do have a 90 day grace period, and after that a non-felony fine if you're bagged. I wonder what they mean by "processed" - the CLEO hasn't approved yet, or has and the application hasn't been submitted to the state? That should NOT take long. On the state-end, mine took 4 business days from submittal to decision and that was within the window of your application. Typically licenses are batch printed / mailed weekly.

I was BS when it took 3 months to get someone on the phone, and another 8 months to actually get a meeting. In your shoes I'd be even more pissed - they already have it, shit or get off the pot. If your application and materials are collecting dust somewhere that's a travesty.

You do have a 90 day grace period, and after that a non-felony fine if you're bagged. I wonder what they mean by "processed" - the CLEO hasn't approved yet, or has and the application hasn't been submitted to the state? That should NOT take long. On the state-end, mine took 4 business days from submittal to decision and that was within the window of your application. Typically licenses are batch printed / mailed weekly.

I was BS when it took 3 months to get someone on the phone, and another 8 months to actually get a meeting. In your shoes I'd be even more pissed - they already have it, shit or get off the pot. If your application and materials are collecting dust somewhere that's a travesty.

WRONG! It is an INFINITE grace period, as of 1/1/15.

The PDs hate the task but like the power. They don't dedicate the resources needed, they don't get to keep any of the money, so it is a task that gets pushed down to the bottom of the list of things to do.

Reading has a new licensing officer.
On 1/24 FRB told me it was activated and mailed. Called them today and they said it's activated and in the process of being mailed. Said PD should have it next week. We'll see.
interview was on12/26,

Really? A smart law passed in MA? What's the purpose of renewing at all, then?

I need a refresher when I renew my certs later this year - I was out of state when that happened and wasn't told a damn thing.

Law was passed on 8/14/2014.

It's an infinite grace period if you submit your application before the expiration date. If not, you've still got the 90 days, but you can't purchase.

It also requires that the PD enter your renewal in MIRCS PRIOR to expiration of existing LTC or you get no grace period.

Are you certain about the 90 days still existing? I thought it was replaced completely with the new infinite time period providing you and the PD do their parts prior to expiration.

Back
Top Bottom