• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How I Made Shelves for a Cheap Stack On 10-Gun Cabinet

Just got my LTC two months ago and I've already accumulated three handguns. I wanted a way to lock them up and neatly store ammo, holsters, cleaning equipment and a small fire resistant "safe" that I've been "hiding" under my bed for five years. It had to be really affordable, it had to be lightweight enough to get up to my second-floor apartment, it had to be modular and have the ability to adapt when I purchase more guns or maybe become an ammo only storage cabinet if I get a real safe someday. I got pretty close to buying the Stack On 18 gun convertible cabinet on sale for $189 and then I got the idea to buy the narrower 10 gun for $110 so it would fit better in my bedroom closet and make my own shelves with scrap particle board I already had. I also built a handgun rack and installed lights. It came out better than I expected so I decided to make a little how-to.

Materials:
Stack On 10 or 14 gun cabinet
E5 shelf track $3 / 72" length
E5 brackets $3 / 12
Plywood or particleboard or MDF
1-2 yards of felt $5 / linear yard (72" wide roll so 1 yard is actually 2 sq yards)
Aluminum pop-rivets

Tools:
Table saw or circular saw
Drill and bits
Tape measure
Combination square
Pop-riveter
Staple gun
Hammer
Drop-light
Scissors

I decided on four shelves plus a floor so 2 72" lengths of E5 cut in half gave me 4 36" lengths. The inside depth of the cabinet is just over 12" so I decided on 8-1/2" deep shelves so they wouldn't interfere with the lock mechanism and also so I could stand up a shotgun between the shelves and the door when I get one. If you're using the cabinet for handguns or ammo only then you could use more shelves, make the shelves a few inches deeper and place them so they won't be in the way of the lock.

Lay the cabinet on it's side and use some painters tape to protect the finish while you lay the shelf track on the outside of the cabinet to get it square and mark the holes. Mine starts about 8" from the top of the cabinet which leaves a lot of space between the lowest shelf and the floor so I can open my little fire resistant safe. You might want that space for heavy ammo cans. In any case, get it how you want it and drill your holes. Repeat 4 times, use aluminum rivets to mount the track so you don't crush it and you should have this:

Decide on your size and number of shelves. Cut them out. Remember to cut them 1/16" - 1/8" smaller to compensate for the thickness of the felt. Mine are 16-3/4" wide and 8-1/2" deep. Cover them with felt. I had never done this before but it's just like wrapping a present. Cut the felt bigger than you need, place the "good side" of the shelf face down, pull one edge of the felt over and staple it down about every inch. Use a hammer to hit them down flat if necessary. Pull the opposite edge over and fold it over an inch like the hem on your clothes, keep it REALLY tight and staple it down. Repeat with the other two sides and it should look something like this:

That ugly seam will be underneath and towards the rear of the cabinet once installed.

I forgot to take a photo but I also made a floor to complete the look and help reinforce the bottom of the cabinet. I used a 1" diameter Forstner bit to make two 3/8" deep flat-bottom holes and I notched the front edge in two places to clear the bottom of the door jamb before I covered it with felt. I then used a razor to make a small access slit over each of the flat bottom holes. When I mount the cabinet to the sub-floor of the house I'll drop the lag bolts through the little slits and the heads will sit down in the flat bottom holes. There's enough clearance to get a socket on the heads, too. Then I'll close up the slit and there will be a nice felt-over-wood floor to help hold the cabinet down if someone ever tries to rock it loose.

I also made a little L-bracket from some 18 gauge and used two switches to control the lighting. One switch is door activated like a fridge and the other switch opens the circuit so I can leave the door open with the light off while I'm home. I had planned to buy some LED or incandescent rope lighting but I had a brand new string of Christmas tree mini lights that were never used because they had a white cord and looked awful on the tree. Adhesive zip-tie mounting squares and zip-ties secure the lights around the inside of the jamb:

I also used a drill press and jig saw to make a handgun rack with mag storage underneath. I covered it with the same felt but I had to use spray adhesive. It was a pain to make but it turned out decent. If I had to do it again I would probably just buy the manaboutracks.com racks.

Finished version:

Last edited:
I did this for my ammo locker. You can skip a lot by just cutting wood blocks as risers in between each shelves. Not that I used 3/4" MDA board and it sagged eventually. Folks doing this may want to use ply or 1" MD particle board. The ply should be less likely to sag.

I got lazy for my few hand guns .
erugete4.jpg
lol

Nice job.
I bought the Steelcase commercial storage cabinets for my supplies, 50 bucks a pop at Transfer Enterprises scratch and dent showroom in East Hartford CT. Welded a couple steel bars across the front to add a greater level of difficulty breaking into them and put a good lock on the front. Great for reloading stuff and ammo storage.

Bumping this because I am thinking of doing the same.

I ran out of storage containers so I filled file cabinets. The damn cabinets are so heavy now, I bent one as I was opening it last night. Lol.

Any ideas or cheap metal cabinets that I can modify are welcome.

I'll bet you could stuff milk crates on their sides tied together with zip ties and push the crates over to 1 side leaving room for a couple of long guns on one of those 14-gun Sentry cabs.

but that would be wrong, because stealing milk crates is a felony...

1606939006587.png

Mount a stack on 10 gun cabinet horizontally and forget about shelves... I did. Shelves can't sag and no space is wasted by the wood. If you mount it in a closet, you could make a removable L shaped cover shelf over it and put shoes on the shelf. Hidden in plain sight...

I ran out of storage containers so I filled file cabinets. The damn cabinets are so heavy now, I bent one as I was opening it last night. Lol.

I have a 60" Job Box that locks for some of my ammo, around $250 I think.

Tip: if you have multiple cabinets and don't want to deal with all the keys, change the locks for combination locks - very easy on a stack-on.

Yeah I did the same thing with my safe, I spray glued the same material as inside to match and I made about five shelves same brackets everything came out great
I cut the E5 shelf tracks an 1/8 inch longer so I didn’t have to screw or rivet them, now they just fit tight with a slight bow but when you actually add the shelves it will straighten and look mint. I’ll post a pic later

Nice project,
I run file cabinets for ammo and random junk storage.
No shelves in my “gun cab”
Im always on the look out for various steel cabinet storage stuff. Scored a nut/bolt bin over the summer and hung it in the shed.
So far though no matter how I run my storage im always chamging it around as eventually the stuff dont fit right

Nice project,
I run file cabinets for ammo and random junk storage.
No shelves in my “gun cab”
Im always on the look out for various steel cabinet storage stuff. Scored a nut/bolt bin over the summer and hung it in the shed.
So far though no matter how I run my storage im always chamging it around as eventually the stuff dont fit right
Right now I have file cabinets. But they are getting heavy and annoying. I can't stack them on top of each other because the bottom drawer of the top cabinet wouldn't be able to hold the weight when I open it. Most of them are probably rated for 50# and I have over 120# in one. LOL

I scored last year on offer up.. some guy was selling a brand new commercial cabinet. 36x18x40 or so. 120lb. shelves. 50 bucks.
I fortified the shelves with 1/2" ply and moved all my ammo over to it.
Steel on this cabinet seems as thick as the stack on. (which I have 2 of).
The lock.. not as beefy, but these locks are easily pickable anyway.

I used to have my stuff in a wide file cabinet. I had the drawers loaded too.
Hey... this one would be a good one... paint it, or leave it... would be robbers may not even try to get in it.
Available now:
1607002585935.png

Looking at used flammable liquid storage cabinets but those aren't given away. The dimensions on some of them are perfect for what I want size wise.

Snax you beat me by seconds with the flammable cabinet.

I scored last year on offer up.. some guy was selling a brand new commercial cabinet. 36x18x40 or so. 120lb. shelves. 50 bucks.
I fortified the shelves with 1/2" ply and moved all my ammo over to it.
Steel on this cabinet seems as thick as the stack on. (which I have 2 of).
The lock.. not as beefy, but these locks are easily pickable anyway.

I used to have my stuff in a wide file cabinet. I had the drawers loaded too.
Hey... this one would be a good one... paint it, or leave it... would be robbers may not even try to get in it.
Available now:
View attachment 418296
Great find. I might go take a look, they are not far from my house.

Looking at used flammable liquid storage cabinets but those aren't given away. The dimensions on some of them are perfect for what I want size wise.

Snax you beat me by seconds with the flammable cabinet.
Those flammable cabs are double walled too. That one looks like a steal, it's got dented doors, but as long as they work... who cares! You could probably pop them out, but as long as the hinges aren't bent, should be fine.... but that bottom left hinge area... not sure. I'd might offer $100 bucks for that!

I recently bought one of these and have been very pleased thus far (about $180 out the door and ready to go):

Well built and holds a surprising amount of ammo/powder/components, etc. Shelves are rated at 80 lbs if I recall. Also allowed me to open up additional room in the main safe by moving some non priority items over. Zero for fire protection as it comes (its just 12 gauge unlined steel) but if you get bored you could line it with sheet rock fairly easily. I will likely buy another soon

Last edited:
I recently bought one of these and have been very pleased thus far (about $180 out the door and ready to go):

Well built and holds a surprising amount of ammo/powder/components, etc. Shelves are rated at 80 lbs if I recall. Also allowed me to open up additional room in the main safe by moving some non priority items over. Zero for fire protection as it comes (its just 12 gauge unlined steel) but I if you get bored you could line it with sheet rock fairly easily. I will likely buy another soon
That looks identical to my smaller stack on, except mine has only one shelf at the top, but multiple holes on it that no doubt are holes for shelf bolts.
Probably from the same China factory.

Back
Top Bottom