How does one tell if a revolver is unfired?

Hanwei

NES Member
I'm guessing you'd look at:

1. The cylinder faces for any powder burns
2. The top strap for any powder burns
3. More pronounced cylinder turn line

... that's all I can think of...

But aside from the cylinder turn line... #1 and #2 can be cleaned away completely right?

Are there any other tell tale signs of a fired revolver that can't be cleaned away?

Thanks guys.

Hanwei

Other than the turn line you can not tell. I can clean a revolver to the point it will look as it came from the factory. You have to deal with reputable people to obtain as new firearms.

As an aside, if it is a S&W you are asking about, they are all fired at the factory. Some more than others if there was a problem. Unfired in this brand is a myth.

Thanks y'all.

Been on hold with Miami CSI for 20min now... I guess Horatio is pretty busy. [wink]

Because some states require a case fired from the firearm, they get fired at the factory.

Actually they are test fired at the factory and one of the test fire cases is used for the fired case requirement. They have been firing them long before the case was required.

Some employees stand there all day just shooting guns [smile]

Other than the turn line you can not tell. I can clean a revolver to the point it will look as it came from the factory.

I'd love to know what you do to get them 100% clean! I can't seem to manage that. The muzzle end of the cylinder chambers are just a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom