How does a MA resident sell a rifle?

Cuz

NES Member
I've tried reading the laws, but I just keep getting confused. Can someone please tell me what a MA resident needs to do to sell a rifle?

I have two questions:

1) How does a MA resident sell a rifle to another (properly licensed) MA resident?

2) How does a MA resident sell a rifle to an out of state resident?

Thanks so much for any help provided.

-Cuz.

Easiest way is to post a for sale ad here, Sale can be done in person, face to face, check buyer's FID or LTC depending on type of rifle. Meet up somewhere, tipically your club/range, buyer has a chance to inspect rifle, you collect $. You fill out the FA-10 to transfer ownership buyer signs, you sign, You mail in FA-10.

Out of state, rifle has to go through a FFL.

I recommend doing an advanced search, set to show all threads from the beginning and/or wait for conflicting advice from others. [smile]

Don't intend to be a smart*ss but I'm no expert. [thinking]

1) How does a MA resident sell a rifle to another (properly licensed) MA resident?
Two ways: 1) face-to-face, with a form FA-10 properly filled out, signed by both parties, and sent to the state, or 2) through a MA FFL.
2) How does a MA resident sell a rifle to an out of state resident?
Through an FFL

Two ways: 1) face-to-face, with a form FA-10 properly filled out, signed by both parties, and sent to the state, or 2) through a MA FFL.
Through an FFL

Can a MA resident sell to a NH resident and deliver the rifle in person to an FFL in NH?

If I sell a rifle to someone in Florida do I need an FFL in MA to send to an FFL in Florida? Or just an FFL in Florida? How do I let the MA attorney General know I no longer have the rifle?

-Cuz.

Can a MA resident sell to a NH resident and deliver the rifle in person to an FFL in NH?

If I sell a rifle to someone in Florida do I need an FFL in MA to send to an FFL in Florida? Or just an FFL in Florida? How do I let the MA attorney General know I no longer have the rifle?

-Cuz.

Yes, you can deliver or ship a rifle to an FFL in ANY state.

Many FFLs will refuse to receive a shipment from anyone other than an FFL (job security). Some will tell you that the law requires it . . . bullshit! BATFE publishes regs and FAQs and addresses this that ANYONE can send a gun to an FFL for repair or sale.

If you sell out of state, there is NO mechanism to notify the CHSB (who maintains the records). In fact when you sell to someone in MA, they NEVER remove the gun from your record then either (even though FA-10 is properly filed). If they ever check for a gun using the FA-10s, it will pull up everyone who ever filed an FA-10 in MA.

No one ever said that the database was supposed to be useful! [rolleyes]

NOPE! You do NOT fill out an FA-10 form when you sell a gun to an FFL or if it gets sent to a non-MA FFL.

FA-10s are only done when you buy/sell within the state or if a gun is lost/stolen.

Back
Top Bottom