how do you tell preban AR mags from postban?

ive asked this before here but it wasnt answered (i asked it on a side note).
anyway, how does uncle sam know and how do i know if the mag is good for MA or not? i did a search for "preban AR mags" and this is what came up as the only identifying mark on the magazine:
Colt_30_floor_plate.jpg

theres no date on it, and the mag looks brand new (the website says its preban and legal for states that still have the AR ban). the last thing i want to do is pick up 30rnds and have someone tell me their illegal, and then go to jail or get fined out the ass becasue i have the wrong year.

Last edited:
If it does not have a date stamped on it, or if the date is prior to 09-94, it's kind of difficult to say that it is a ban or post-ban magazine. Lack of the "restricted" statement also helps.

anyway, how does uncle sam know and how do i know if the mag is good for MA or not?

Uncle Sam could care less about your preban mags in MA. Uncle Sam is a Fed and he allows any mag, preban or not. The MA Attorney General on the other hand ...

All in all, unless there is some sort of marking [post-ban date stamp, "restricted to LEO"] I would say it is good to go. 99% of the time, if you don't know - they don't know.

AR15.com has a couple detailed thread on it but I'm to lazy right now to link them.

Back
Top Bottom