• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you organize your safe? [pics]

So I recently received my LTC and went out yesterday to buy a safe for my future purchases.

I'm wondering how people here have organized their safes?

I bought a stack on 16 gun and went to the container store to buy some sort of shelving.

I'm looking for advice on how to organize this stuff.
The issues:
There is only 1 shelf and it's tiny.
I've removed the pockets that came on the door of the safe and put some wire shelving on.

4ykj3ux.jpg

6by10t3.jpg

This is what it looked like before I moved..

Safe-1.jpg

But since then, it's a little better. I have another cabinet that I'm going to build some shelves in so I can store ammo and powder and the like in there.. So my Safe will be a lot cleaner looking...and I can actually find stuff.

C-pher,

I like the holsters on the door for the pistols. Are they attached with velcro?(directly to the carpet) Who makes them?

Thanks

Yea, it's velcro, and they hold really well.

I picked that up at the Marlboro Gun Show. I think that they are called, Pistol Pockets. I don't really remember. But the guy that has all the safes at the show. He's the one that sell them. It's great and they hold a lot of weight.

Long term storage in leather holsters will mar the finish of a pistol or revolver. I don't know about the synthetic ones.

I don't know either, now that you mention it.... They are pretty open and are far from tight fits, so I would think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal..

Some have been in them for several years and there's really not any wear that I've seen.

I just keep stuffing it not much to the organization except manuals/paperwork up top and all my ammo/cases/magazines and such on the side- I do have to get some of those pistol holders they would open up another shelf for me.

I picked that up at the Marlboro Gun Show. I think that they are called, Pistol Pockets. I don't really remember. But the guy that has all the safes at the show. He's the one that sell them. It's great and they hold a lot of weight.

Thanks, found them.
Pistol Pockets

That is awesome. All I've done is get one of those four-gun wire pistol racks. Need to install some lights in there so I can see what I've got.

Somebody somewhere...I don't even remember if it was on this forum...went to a craft supply store and purchased wooden spools (like for thread but without the thread), took the door panel off and screwed them, through the panel from the door side, onto the doorpanel (2 for each gun) and they hold his handguns like a display. The weight of the gun holds it on, the lip of the spools keeps them from sliding...as long as you don't slam or jar the door. Like for a 1911...1 spool was placed at the grip saftey and 1 other in front of the trigger guard...it wedged the gun right in.

I liked the idea but was concerned about taking the door panel off...those 2 plastic pockets do have to go.

If I made some sort of wooden shalving and carpeted it would the moisture from the wood be enough to damage the contents?

PDM: Where do you plan on putting htosewire pistol racks? I'm not sure how big your safe is but there is no where to store them in mine...a stackon combo like underwhere. Can they be suspended on the door and hold handguns?

Last edited:
I did something like the above.

I took off the sheetrock board on the safe door and screwed a piece of plywood that I carpeted with velvet or some type of fabric that you buy by the yard at one of those girlie stores.

Then I got some brass coat hooks from Lowes and wrapped the hell out of them with electrical tape and screwed them strategically into the wood that I bolted back onto the sheetrock.

I just hang the handguns on the coat hooks.I probably have enough room on the door for 8 more handguns.

I took off the sheetrock board on the safe door and screwed a piece of plywood that I carpeted with velvet or some type of fabric that you buy by the yard at one of those girlie stores.

Then I got some brass coat hooks from Lowes and wrapped the hell out of them with electrical tape and screwed them strategically into the wood that I bolted back onto the sheetrock.

I just hang the handguns on the coat hooks.I probably have enough room on the door for 8 more handguns.

I was considering doing the same but with plexiglass.
I like seeing the internal workings of things.

Doesn't that drastically reduce the fire rating of the safe? I thought the sheetrock was for insulation/fire retardation?

Doesn't that drastically reduce the fire rating of the safe? I thought the sheetrock was for insulation/fire retardation?

No,I took it off to bolt and nut the plywood on it,I put it back on after all the 'upgrades'.Also put some kind of aluminum strips(for crossbeams I think) behind the sheetrock that the nuts are torqued down onto.I have the plywood bolted on since I figured sheetrock wouldn't take to well with screws.

It's wicked sturdy and i didn't mess up the sheetrock except for about 6 holes.

Last edited:

Yea, and it's not regular Sheetrock. It's the moisture/fire resistant rock panel.

And I'm not sure about your safe, but I have stuff in between the rock and the metal so if the safe gets above a set temp, it expands to create a better heat barrier.

Not sure how that would work if you removed all the paneling and replaced it with polycarbonate.

PDM: Where do you plan on putting htosewire pistol racks? I'm not sure how big your safe is but there is no where to store them in mine...a stackon combo like underwhere. Can they be suspended on the door and hold handguns?

I've got shelving inside there. I'll try to remember to get some pictures this afternoon when I get home from work. I've got a SentrySafe ProStaff safe, rated for water and fire protection. It's pretty sweet.

No,I took it off to bolt and nut the plywood on it,I put it back on after all the 'upgrades'.Also put some kind of aluminum strips(for crossbeams I think) behind the sheetrock that the nuts are torqued down onto.I have the plywood bolted on since I figured sheetrock wouldn't take to well with screws.

It's wicked sturdy and i didn't mess up the sheetrock except for about 6 holes.

I think that he was talking about taking it off and replacing it with the polycarbonate.

I used a piece of peg board on one wall, then just used some peg board hooks, bent into the right shape, and covered in electrical tape.

Here's an older pic, but you get the idea.

Safe001.jpg

It looks like something you could make with a 5 dollar Uncle Mikes from the discount bin at most gun stores. Great idea, though. I'm getting on it.

I don't organize my safes - I just cram them.
I really gotta stop buying guns for a while, and finally
buy and install that vault door. This will be the end of
crammed safes...........for a few months or so[smile]

Back
Top Bottom