How do you know if an AR is pre-ban?

OK, last question then I am done[grin]

My dad was an old machinist and has a couple lower receivers he made many years ago with no markings on them. Can I make them into an AR-15?

You can make your own receivers for your own personal use. I'm not really sure what the rules are about inheriting home made receivers. You might want to start a different thread for that question (search first, it may have been covered already.)

You can make your own receivers for your own personal use. I'm not really sure what the rules are about inheriting home made receivers. You might want to start a different thread for that question (search first, it may have been covered already.)

there was a thread started today about AR and home made, needed serialization and such if they were to bring it to a shop and or transfer it. if it is your own then not needed was the general statement but if you are inheriting it, I am not sure what supersedes what.

Chris -

Pre-ban receivers tend to go up and down with (fill in democrat of your choice)-paranoia.

After BHO got into office, they went through the roof. I saw them for $600+

6 months ago I saw one go for $400, on NES classifieds; you can get a decent deal on them.

keep your eyes peeled on this forum, sturgewehr.com, and ar15.com.

Also, check out ctguntalk.com. Since CT also has an AWB, there is stuff up there.

Unfortunately, I think prices have begun to go up again.
http://www.ctguntalk.com/smf/guns-and-rifles-related-classifieds/pre-ban-olympic-arms-lower-(sgw)-$699/

But if Romney wins, prices will probably come down again.

Like I've said before. I see no value in a telescoping stock, flash hider, or bayonet lug. For me it was the threaded bbl. But now that I'm in MA and can't bring my suppressors with me, I don't really see the value in pre-ban.

Like I said. You can definitely build a fun, sexy post ban gun. This gun, while pre-ban would be perfectly MA legal if the lug was removed and a brake pinned in place.

Don
DSC_2119.jpg

Last edited:
This is a CMMG .22 LR AR that I did for a client. I eventually put a Vltor rifle modstock on it. But if you will notice, no lug or flash hider (Miculek brake is the best deal going at <$50). This was a fun gun to shoot and didn't look bad either.

Don

CSC_0850SMALL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom