How do you clean your Glocks?

I clean my G 19 after every range trip. Why not? it takes 10 min .I field strip ,a little gun scrubber ,wipe down ,oil

Last edited:
Not to dwell on this... but all guns- even Glocks are susceptible to problems without proper lube and cleaning. It all comes down to how much you need the gun to go bang when you pull the trigger...

Not to dwell on this... but all guns- even Glocks are susceptible to problems without proper lube and cleaning. It all comes down to how much you need the gun to go bang when you pull the trigger...

I clean the rest of my guns...just not this Glock. I really want to see how long it takes until I have problems.

I have taken it apart for inspection but nothing ever jumped out at me as "needing" cleaning.

I would say that having the gun well over a year and throwing a good amount of stuff down the barrel it has done very well.

I clean the rest of my guns...just not this Glock. I really want to see how long it takes until I have problems.

I have taken it apart for inspection but nothing ever jumped out at me as "needing" cleaning.

I would say that having the gun well over a year and throwing a good amount of stuff down the barrel it has done very well.

If that is your mission... I understand. I hope it doesn't act up in the middle of the NE Regionals. [rofl]

I "might" run a patch through before. I'm not set on it...just saying I might.

If you are worried about your barrel- that's the last thing I'd be concerned with.... unless you are shooting lead... which I wouldn't do anyway. Oh... and if you run a wet patch thru the barrel... just make sure you don't do a low light stage right after... ask me if I know what happens... [angry]

If you are worried about your barrel- that's the last thing I'd be concerned with.... unless you are shooting lead... which I wouldn't do anyway. Oh... and if you run a wet patch thru the barrel... just make sure you don't do a low light stage right after... ask me if I know what happens... [angry]

Do tell!

That would be the only concern of mine (the barrel) but I'm really not concerned at all. I don't shoot lead.

Other than that I don't really have too much of a concern.

So what happened on your low light stage?

That would be the only concern of mine (the barrel) but I'm really not concerned at all. I don't shoot lead.

Other than that I don't really have too much of a concern.

So what happened on your low light stage?

The night before the MA State IDPA match I decided to give the gun a good cleaning. I scrubbed the bore, ran a patch with a little oil and then a few passes with a dry patch.

I was lucky enough to shoot the indoor stages first. My loads usually run pretty clean... until then. The first indoor stage I shot - skills stage- it took a while to see thru all the smoke! I was like WTF??? I've shot indoors before with the exact loads and couldn't understand. Later I recalled cleaning the bore. I'm sure there was just enough residual oil in the barrel to cause the smoking. Call me a dumb ass!

Anyways- yes, I'm least worried about cleaning the barrel (and not just because of above) than the other parts of the gun. If you are shooting good ammo with jacketed bullets there is nothing that is going to happen with the barrel. On the other hand... if soot builds up in your action that's when things can be problematic. Crap can build up in the striker channel, extractor area and other areas that could effect performance/reliability.

Hard cast lead works just fine in a Glock and is cheaper and more accurate than plated bullets. The Glock/lead thing is a myth.

really? Then why would glock recommend only using FMJ?

Because there are reasons not to use lead in a Glock barrel. The barrel has non standard rifling which has been know to cause high pressure problems. Sure- not everyone has had kabooms with lead bullets but then again not everyone that drinks and drives gets killed... doesn't mean it's good to do it.

Because there are reasons not to use lead in a Glock barrel. The barrel has non standard rifling which has been know to cause high pressure problems. Sure- not everyone has had kabooms with lead bullets but then again not everyone that drinks and drives gets killed... doesn't mean it's good to do it.

Yes, I know.... I was questioning Gammon who stated lead is fine in a glock

Back
Top Bottom