How do Drug Enforcement Administration special agents lose their guns?

What do you think would happen to one of us (Licensed) if we left our ccw in a supermarket, airport bathroom or just "drove away" with it on the roof of a car? I imagine that, at the very least, we'd loose our license as an "unsuitable" individual, possibly even be looking at charges depending on what happened with the lost gun.

Silly.

LOL....I saw an agent, at a public function with his family, in Boston, drop his spare mag in the middle of the floor. A couple of rounds popped out and went rolling off with me and him chasing them like Indiana Jones chasing the antidote in "Temple of Doom".....I'm amazed no one noticed what we were doing....we talked afterwards, helluva nice guy. He kind of cringed when I said "At least you didn't shoot yourself in the leg", but he recovered quickly and stated he was professional enough not too.

Here's what would happen to a MA civilian stupid enough to lose a gun in a wastebasket:

a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years, nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment

Yet another reason why only the cops and military should have guns - all that special training.........

DEA spokesman Garrison Courtney said the investigations would have been handled by DEA itself. "Any of those instances would be referred to our internal investigating arm," Courtney said. "We would take the appropriate actions to make sure the agents are educated on how to handle their weapons appropriately."
I think he means "We would take the appropriate actions to make sure that the story is covered up so the idiot doesn't get fired the way he deserves."

special ed....

What makes a 'special' agent so special? Seems there are no more 'regular' agents any more.

That term always pissed me off.

Special? Yeah, more like Special Ed...

Well, since everyone's mom told them they were "special" I guess that makes for a lot of special" agents 20 something years later [thinking]

I had a friend in college that cleaned planes at logan. He would show everyone at parties his DEA agent credentials that he found in a seatback pocket on a plane. What kind of idiot would take those out of his pocket and leave them in a seatback pocket?

The same kind who would lose a gun in the trash or leave it in the console or glove box of an unlocked, unattended vehicle.

Ah'm the only one in this room............

at outside of gross negligence on the part of the owner of that firearm.Quite frankly it is the media sensationalizing a topic they find offensive.

After reading the article, they state the majority of the loses were from automobiles. This is a type of storage approved by many here based on past threads.

While not something to ignore, the rate of lose is roughly twelve a year. Some were due to outright negligence. But unlike what some may think, I seriously doubt those agents are walking away unscathed from the event. Either lose of employment down to suspensions are probably the norm.

I doubt that it can be said that no one has ever experienced the theft of a firearm. S

I had a friend in college that cleaned planes at logan. He would show everyone at parties his DEA agent credentials that he found in a seatback pocket on a plane. What kind of idiot would take those out of his pocket and leave them in a seatback pocket?

No too smart on your friends part to keep those credentials and show them off.

I doubt that it can be said that no one has ever experienced the theft of a firearm.

I agree but there is a big difference between leaving a gun in a toilet stall and
having a thief break into your house/car/whatever and steal the firearm
that way. The former is pretty reckless and the latter is just someone
being a victim of a B+E.

Coincidentally, I wonder what the "bogus gun loss" rate is with BATFE
agents? These are the people running around telling folks "guns are bad"
and I wouldn't be surprised if they've left guns in toilet stalls or on top of
cars, either. [laugh]

-Mike

agree but there is a big difference between leaving a gun in a toilet stall

And for that a hefty suspension should be in order. the article makes it sound like every lose was due to gross negligence on the part of the agent which is far from the truth.

Hey...I have been looking for those for years..can I get them back?[laugh]

And for that a hefty suspension should be in order. the article makes it sound like every lose was due to gross negligence on the part of the agent which is far from the truth.

IMO they should also dock the guy's paycheck for the cost of the
firearm, or make him buy a replacement out of pocket. If suddenly they
were held responsible for gear losses via negigence then they would probably
be that much less likely to leave it somewhere.

-Mike

IMO they should also dock the guy's paycheck for the cost of the
firearm, or make him buy a replacement out of pocket. If suddenly they
were held responsible for gear losses via negligence then they would probably
be that much less likely to leave it somewhere.

It will cost him much more than that I would say. No doubt a suspension would be in order.

Paging John Rosenthal! I think we've found your source of illegal guns!
That would be an average of nine firearms a year for 5300 employees. The loss rate would be .0017%. Actually pretty good.

Yet another reason why only the cops and military should have guns - all that special training.........

General Barnicke: Where have you been soldier?
John Winger: Training, sir.
Soldiers: Training, sir.
General Barnicke: What kind of training?
John Winger: Army training, sir.
Soldiers: Army training, sir.
General Barnicke: Are you telling me that you men finished your training on your own?
John Winger: That's a fact, Jack.
Soldiers: That's a fact, Jack.

000588_9.jpg

Paging John Rosenthal! I think we've found your source of illegal guns!
[rofl][smile][smile][laugh2][rofl][smile][laugh2][rofl]

Last edited:
That would be an average of nine firearms a year for 5300 employees. The loss rate would be .0017%. Actually pretty good.

Only if you believe that 5 employees losing 5 firearms would be 1%. It would be 100%, and in the above case 9 out of 5300 would be 0.17% [Sorry, but I see people who know better do this shit all the time, and it tends to irritate me. I guess you just picked the wrong day to slip up.]

Ken

It was a joke but I know for a fact my company has a lower than .17% loss rate for laptops. If we were the DEA and issued guns to employees, I'd hope a greater level of care would be taken.

Back
Top Bottom