How did this happen???

richc

NES Member
So... yesterday I'm visiting my sister in Brockton. My son reminds me that Zero Hour is in Easton. Turns out she lives exactly two miles from Zero Hour.

Now I don't have my license yet but have been visiting firearms stores to learn. My license is due in the next week. I'm just learning I tell myself... just learning.

Well I've NEVER been to a store like this. It should be a museum or something. It is awe inspiring. It is a shrine.

So my eyes fall on a thing of beauty. An original AK47. Mark is kind enough to spend time with us showing us and talking about the history and the mechanics. My hands shake with anticipation.

So I paid for the damn thing and it is sitting in Mark's safe waiting for the arrival of my license. Below is a fuzzy picture from my son's cell phone. But you all know what they look like.

ak47rl4.jpg

Does anyone have advice on how to tell my wife about this one?

[grin][grin][grin]

Rich

Attachments

• ak47.jpg
    ak47.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've uploaded an image and can see the image in the "Manage Attachements", but it does not show up in the post. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

FIXED IT!

Last edited:
Not sure how to answer your question on Armco import. It was originally from China. And there were markings on it from an imported in Atlanta, but I don't recall the name.

Does this help?

Can't wait to try this out at a range!

Thanks,

Rich

Yup... that's it... a PolyTech Legend with milled received.

Is that a good thing? Don't you hate newbie questions like this?

:))

Rich

Yup... that's it... a PolyTech Legend with milled received.

Is that a good thing? Don't you hate newbie questions like this?

Rich

Yes, it is very good. When you said original I thought you meant by original, "early import" but this is one of the last imports (poly-techs came through in '88 & '89), but based on the original design. Legends are highly sought after. Good buy.

I've uploaded an image and can see the image in the "Manage Attachements", but it does not show up in the post. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Rich
FIXED IT!
AK-47.jpg

I was able to lighten it up a tad, hope it helps. Good looking AK by the way.

Regarding my son... I have him trained. He was holding the AK47 at the store while we were talking with Mark. I asked Joe, "What is the most important thing about buying this?", and he quickly replied "Don't tell Mom".

Of course, right after this conversation he was wondering if I would buy him a CZ452... this kid has it all figured out at such a tender age...

Rich

p.s. I'm wondering if I'll be able to declare Zero Arms as a dependent on my tax return? [grin]

Yeah... That's it... it is an investment...

Of course if it does as well as the rest of my portfolio has this year all I'll be left with is the trigger guard...

DOH!

:)

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah... That's it... it is an investment...

Of course if it does as well as the rest of my portfolio has this year all I'll be left with is the trigger guard...

Don't Joke. Some guns are investments. Although let me say, never buy a gun for an investment unless you know what you are doing. Buy it because you want it.
That said, there will likely never be any more of those poly-techs and the prices will not be going down*. FA AKs go for ~$15-25K and they were $300 guns in the '80s prior to the '86 FA registration freeze and the import ban of '89, the latter of which your gun came in just before. I know guys whose safes costed them a couple of grand to fill of legally converted or manufactured autos and they could sell the contents for the price of a large house now. Before '86, FAs cost a few hundred more than the semi-auto version and then there was a tax stamp issue. But beyond that, they were similarly priced. Yeah, semi-ARs will probably go down in price from today's panic selling, but I would doubt the quality AKs, of which yours is, will suffer the same fate.

* Don't take that as a blanket statement on all guns, some dealers will try to say that about everything to justify prices. You need to be a smart buyer when looking at something like this.

You raise good points on the value. There is a limited supply and demand certainly could increase in the future. My hope is that my son will get to enjoy these items during his lifetime. That is one reason why I really want to buy high quality items.

Speaking of which... I'd like to add an AR15 to the collection. I want great quality and reliability. I love historic value as well. One of the things I liked about the Polytech legend was the milled metal. I don't want to say cost is secondary, but I don't mind paying for what fits the bill.

What would fit the bill? What is considered a really fine, old AR15?

Thanks,

Rich

You raise good points on the value. There is a limited supply and demand certainly could increase in the future. My hope is that my son will get to enjoy these items during his lifetime. That is one reason why I really want to buy high quality items.

Speaking of which... I'd like to add an AR15 to the collection. I want great quality and reliability. I love historic value as well. One of the things I liked about the Polytech legend was the milled metal. I don't want to say cost is secondary, but I don't mind paying for what fits the bill.

What would fit the bill? What is considered a really fine, old AR15?

Thanks,

Rich

Most would agree that Colt SP1 and early Bushmasters fit the old, historic and good definition. Although good is relative and most newer ARs are "better" from a design and refinement perspective. There is a reason the SP1 was discontinued and replaced with a redesigned model featuring a forward assist and shell deflector, among other refinements. Early Bushmasters had the forward assist but lacked the shell deflector, etc.

The issues is here in the commiewealth we are restricted to ARs that fit the AWB so newer ones are lacking some features. Not a big deal really if you don't want an easily adjustable stock (collapsible) and the bayo-lugs and threaded barrels are not a big loss. Of those DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite and Olympic are all good. I am sure others would agree/disagree but those are my choices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom