Hospital WIFI Blocks Weapon Website

I also recommend Private Internet Access. When I started chemo this past January, places such as NES were blocked by the hospital's wifi. I joined PIA and had no further problems.

Some hospital groups block some don't. Recently we had our first child (November 12th) at Newport Hospital, which are part of the Lifespan Network. Didn't have a single issue on WiFi, getting everywhere I wanted.

Pay $4 a month for TorGuard VPN service. You can then use it on your PC and several devices for that same account. It works great with the android app. It is unlimited bandwidth and bittorrent friendly, in case you need to download an episode of Dancing With The Stars you missed without getting sued, even though it was broadcast free over the airwaves anyway.

Their wifi, their rules. When I go to MGH I just visit other websites, no big deal...jeesh...

I don't really visit other websites that aren't gun sites. [wink]

When my Wife had her back operation in July, it was a very long day, I think I spent ~14 hrs at BWH. Using a proxy and keeping up with NES kept me busy. Likewise the following 3-4 days spending 4-6 hrs/day at the hospital. I don't bring my laptop there for minor appointments when I'm only there for an hour or two. I hate reading/typing on the smartphone and not everywhere in Boston gets 4G, so the proxy is useful there too when I'm there for the short visits.

But I do agree that they can set whatever rules they wish since they aren't obligated to share with us.

Some hospital groups block some don't. Recently we had our first child (November 12th) at Newport Hospital, which are part of the Lifespan Network. Didn't have a single issue on WiFi, getting everywhere I wanted.

Do the EMT/ambulance crews know which ones block and which don't? If so maybe we could get a group buy going for some of those medical bracelets with instructions on them not to take us to hospitals that block gun sites on their wifi.

So I drowe my wife to a hospital appointment today. While I was waiting, I wanted to check somethign on the rifling of my Ruger LCR.
I did a Google search on my IPhone that was connected to the "Partners Guest" WIFI system.
A few results came up. When I clicked on one, this warning message appeared that I was trying to access a BLOCKED site because it was related to "Weapons" !!!!

Yeah, when I stayed at a Beth Israel Deaconess satellite hospital last year, it barred me from the CMP forums but not NES. Go figure.

Their wifi, their rules. When I go to MGH I just visit other websites, no big deal...jeesh...

My personal feeling is anyone who is going to filter their guest access to that degree should just disable the ****ing thing. McDonalds doesn't even treat people that badly.

It's like offering your guests coffee but you give them decaf in a 3 ounce cup. The act of even offering it at that point is just offensive and it wastes everyone's time. It's like having a car dealership with a courtesy car service... "but we can only bring you across the street". It's not good for anything. If they're that paranoid about "liability" then they shouldn't offer it at all.

-Mike

My personal feeling is anyone who is going to filter their guest access to that degree should just disable the ****ing thing. McDonalds doesn't even treat people that badly.

It's like offering your guests coffee but you give them decaf in a 3 ounce cup. The act of even offering it at that point is just offensive and it wastes everyone's time. It's like having a car dealership with a courtesy car service... "but we can only bring you across the street". It's not good for anything. If they're that paranoid about "liability" then they shouldn't offer it at all.

-Mike

Mike,

I've had three surgeries at MGH in the last 10 years one of them for something life threatening and two for some fairly serious conditions. They are simply one of the best hospitals in the world. I can afford to go there and frankly when it comes to health issues I don't really give a damn about their wifi policies, you and others can deal with the ideology, I'll stick to health which is why I go there, not to surf the internet. YMMV.

Mike,

I've had three surgeries at MGH in the last 10 years one of them for something life threatening and two for some fairly serious conditions. They are simply one of the best hospitals in the world. I can afford to go there and frankly when it comes to health issues I don't really give a damn about their wifi policies, you and others can deal with the ideology, I'll stick to health which is why I go there, not to surf the internet. YMMV.
Now THAT'S a reality check![wink]

Mike,

I'm not disputing the quality of their healthcare facilities. Just stating that, from an appearance aspect, it looks dumb and it's kinda pointless. Oh here use this free facilit- POOF. BLOCKED! [rofl]

I guess in one respect one argument is it could be worse- their network could dead-end and force all traffic through a shitty proxy that made any workaround impossible. So at least they were "nice" enough to not block that kind of access. [laugh]

-Mike

I'm not disputing the quality of their healthcare facilities. Just stating that, from an appearance aspect, it looks dumb and it's kinda pointless. Oh here use this free facilit- POOF. BLOCKED! [rofl]

I guess in one respect one argument is it could be worse- their network could dead-end and force all traffic through a shitty proxy that made any workaround impossible. So at least they were "nice" enough to not block that kind of access. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike,

I just think we are on different wave lengths here. When you had cancer like I did (and no I don't share everything with 16,000 of my best NES BFF's) whether or not you can access every website on hospital wifi becomes so trivial that it is beyond measure. It's all about priorities. Philosophy, ideology whatever becomes meaningless at that point, and I sincerely hope that you never have to face a situation like that. That's my point. I'd rather get top flight medical care and be in remission (which I am now and enough time has passed that I am officially "cured") and have the minor inconvenience of not being able to access NES than the alternative. YMMV. I cannot state it any more explicitly.

Mark

Mike,

I just think we are on different wave lengths here. When you had cancer like I did (and no I don't share everything with 16,000 of my best NES BFF's) whether or not you can access every website on hospital wifi becomes so trivial that it is beyond measure. It's all about priorities. Philosophy, ideology whatever becomes meaningless at that point, and I sincerely hope that you never have to face a situation like that. That's my point. I'd rather get top flight medical care and be in remission (which I am now and enough time has passed that I am officially "cured") and have the minor inconvenience of not being able to access NES than the alternative. YMMV. I cannot state it any more explicitly.

Mark

I think you're missing the point completely. He's not saying anything at all about boycotting a hospital over their wifi policies, he's just noting that they're stupid. It doesn't sound like he'd have a problem going to any of them.

And doesn't using his observational posts as an excuse to talk about your visits and health problems count as sharing with your 16k NES bffs? [smile] happy to hear you're better, and you should share more with us. This is a good, albeit obnoxiously public support group.

Last edited:
So I drowe my wife to a hospital appointment today. While I was waiting, I wanted to check somethign on the rifling of my Ruger LCR.
I did a Google search on my IPhone that was connected to the "Partners Guest" WIFI system.
A few results came up. When I clicked on one, this warning message appeared that I was trying to access a BLOCKED site because it was related to "Weapons" !!!!
yea but its worth it saving those 20 children that would have been killed if you had accessed that site.

Back
Top Bottom