Hornady says I need different shell plate

I've been having a on going problem reloading 45acp on my LnL. My problem is that every 5th to 6th 45acp shell, tilts a little as it's go's up in to the depriming/sizing die. Which causes it to hit to the right of the die and and you either have to lower the ram a little and guide it in or remove it.

I've called Hornady a couple of times in the past and have not been given any help with this problem. Today I called again and talked to a different guy who says it's my fault basically for using mixed brass and that I have to buy a special shell plate they make just for this reason. He says, since the brass is of different makes it varies in sizes and I need a number 45 shell plate not the number 1.

I tried to order a number 45 shell plate from them but they say their out of stock untill May.

Has any one else had this problem with there number 1 shell plate loading 45acp?

Is the timing on the press right? If it's off, you can tell because when the press does its thing with that 5th or 6th position, if you manually jog the shell plate you'll feel the ball detents drop into the holes in the sub-plate. My pauls wore out a bit when the press was new a year ago, and I just had to do an adjustment recently with several thousands of rounds processed.

I had to adjust the pawls after a year, like you did and the timimg is fine now, I actually used the figures 5-6 as an example of how often it can happen.

You can actually see a good example of it happening just before the shell go's up into the powder measure. The shell actually tilts a little to the right. The powder measure has a lot more leeway in it's opening that the sizing die.

I'm a little pissed off because they said it was my fault for using mixed brass and I have to wait to buy another shell plate. Also I've never heard of this happpening to any one else.

I know on my press I actually have to manually guide most brass into the sizing die. I'm using Lee dies and I just figured that's what was causing the issue. I'm so accustomed to doing it now that it doesn't slow me down too much. The worst part is when I get going pretty fast and forget to pull a finger out before the ram comes up.....

Is that just with 45's?? I don't have a problem loading any thing else.

When I first got the press I loaded 1000 41mags, 1000 44 mags, 3000 38's, 1000 357's to get them out of the way and I never had a problem untill I started loading 45's.

Wow- this is a weird one Bugs (and tele mark). I do have the .45 shell holder but I've never had to guide a case in (with any of my brass- 9mm, .40 or .45ACP- MIXED BRASS). If it's only happening to .45ACP it sounds like a shell holder issue as otherwise it could be an indexing problem. Once in a blue moon things just don't line up perfectly but it's 99% due to the case not being in the shell holder enough. How are yours getting stuck? Side to side or In/Out?
The dies might have something to do with it. I think most of my sizing dies have a good chamfer on them... I've used RCBS and Hornady dies. I don't use the EGW undersize die (less chamfer) on .45 but I do on .40 withought issues.

I have the Hornady dies with the #1 shell plate which is listed as the 45acp shell plate.

What get's me if Hornady knows there is a problem with using mixed brass with the #1 shell plate and they know it, then why don't they just sell the 45 shell plate for 45's.

He actually said to me, the #1 shell plate has a problem with mixed brass.

I have the Hornady dies with the #1 shell plate which is listed as the 45acp shell plate.

What get's me if Hornady knows there is a problem with using mixed brass with the #1 shell plate and they know it, then why don't they just sell the 45 shell plate for 45's.

He actually said to me, the #1 shell plate has a problem with mixed brass.

Bugs- I was told the .45ACP shellplate is "tighter" than the #1 shell plate. I got it for getting a more secure feel when priming. I was never told it was for mixed brass!

Hi:
My bet is on the sizing/ decapping die having a squared entry, Many, (I use Dillon) mfg's use a tapered entry to eliminate this problem.
PS I use the same shell plate for 30-06, 308, 7.62X51, and 45's....NO Problems with feed.

Arnaki

I have the #1 plate here too, and use all mixed range brass. I didn't even know there as a .45ACP-specific plate.

Same here - all mixed range brass and no problems. I'm using a Lyman carbide die that's about 25 years old or more.

I just got the #45 shell plate. It was on back order since the 1st of March. What a difference fron the #1 shell plate, the press runs smooth for the first time since I got it.

No actually it was Hornady that was waiting for them, it would have taken even longer with Midway and Midway has a big backlog on Hornady stuff also and has no #45 shell plate listed any way.

I learned a little secret from a Hornady sales women. The shell plate and other stuff was suppose to take up to 2 weeks to ship because of the backlog.

But if you pay another $6 they bypass that and send it 2 day delivery.

After reading thread I realized that I had same problem with #1 plate, when my wife lets me, I'm getting #45. So far she's let me stay in the house (same bed) after promising her I wouldn't get any more guns. Then I had to reload to "save" money on ammo, to the tune of about $2,300 and she said "Fine" so I guess I'll be doing a lot of yard work real soon. That's after I renovate our kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom