Hornady improved their Powder Through Expanders

Where there once was a man in the mountain
Just got two of the new Hornady Powder Through Expanders, one for 45 ACP (.451) and one for 9 MM (.355).

The new .451 expander is stamped .451A (the old one was stamped .451), and it has a slightly more aggressive flair at the top, so it should be able to put a bit more bell in your brass if you need it for a lead bullet.

I never had problems with the old .451 one myself, but I have heard that others have.

The new .355 expander is stamped .355A (the older one was stamped .355), and it has a significantly different profile than the old one. In fact looking at (and measuring) the older one, I can't see how it would bell a 9mm case at all, or if it did, it would be very slight! By looking at it (and measuring one), the new one should have no problem belling your 9 MM brass (I havn't had a chance to try it yet, as I just received this today).

Originally I think Hornady was going to sell these new ones labled "for lead bullets", but I think they decided to simply discontinue the old ones, and only sell the new 'improved' versions. This was probably wise to avoid confusion.

I noticed that Midway is having a 'closeout special' on the old versions, don't bother to save the small difference in price, just order the new ones!

If you previously had trouble with the old ones not being able to bell your brass (especially the 9 MM .355 PTX), you should get a new one as it should work just fine!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom