• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom Dillon Powder Through Expanders

pastera

NES Member
Working with @ffej ruedorb to make some M Die type expanders for Dillon drops

He's got an odd bullet and an oversized bore so needed an expander to match.
Renders
Dillon M-Die 308_Custom.png Dillon M-Die 308_custom_full.png

Actually using my cnc mill as a lathe to cut the expander and doing the bore in the lathe. Not a straight forward process since I have to edit the gcode to get lathe code to run on a mill but it works.
Once I have a few different ones done to get the process down better, I'll offer them up for sale customized to what is needed.

Attachments

• 20230401_194400.jpg
    20230401_194400.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230401_194409.jpg
    20230401_194409.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230401_173247.jpg
    IMG_20230401_173247.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 15
Is 9mm planned?

What are the funnels finished w/? Raw stainless?
9mm - I just need to do the model
Each one is customized to what you size your bullets to and for pistol, how deep you seat.

They are cut from 12L14 - no need to finish further. It's not stainless but it's pretty good if treated just like other reloading dies.

For 9mm/38/357 I can make a single funnel with spacers that will allow it to work for different lengths.
Found a company that make some "custom" funnels for Dillon this way - Custom Powder Funnel

Looks like the total length to top of the case needs to be about 3"
With a 1.25" expander and 0.61" and 0.46" spacers it would accommodate 9mm,380 ACP, 357 Sig, 38 SPL and 357 Mag with some adjustment of the die.

9mm - I just need to do the model
Each one is customized to what you size your bullets to and for pistol, how deep you seat.

They are cut from 12L14 - no need to finish further. It's not stainless but it's pretty good if treated just like other reloading dies.

I've got some remnants of that stuff if you need more.

IMG_8702.jpeg
Making some cast blackout fast and efficiently with the Dillon and @pastera expander powder funnel.

I am using a short funnel along with a 3/8 10mm socket as a spacer to take up the throw. Powder is flowing fine

View attachment 772744
Making some cast blackout fast and efficiently with the Dillon and @pastera expander powder funnel.

I am using a short funnel along with a 3/8 10mm socket as a spacer to take up the throw. Powder is flowing fine
Wow man that’s awesome. I wish I had one when I was loading the 300.
One day I’ll get back to it. Or I’ll sell it to fund another lever gun.

Question on these as you were describing them at the seminar. I think you said they step out case instead of just belling the case. Did I hear that correctly?

I have a Hornady LnL and i use the expanders with the powder drop system they have. You can overbell if you are not carefull. Is the OD on these uniform such thst you wouldn’t get that issue? For handgun

Question on these as you were describing them at the seminar. I think you said they step out case instead of just belling the case. Did I hear that correctly?

I have a Hornady LnL and i use the expanders with the powder drop system they have. You can overbell if you are not carefull. Is the OD on these uniform such thst you wouldn’t get that issue? For handgun
Missed this.
There are three diameters

Step 1 expands just enough to keep the case from squeezing the bullet down and long enough for normal seating depth.
Step 2 over expands to create a little cup for the bullet to sit in and is very short
Step 3 is there to act as the normal belling step - really the case should barely kiss this area.

@ffej ruedorb - I need to cut that part for you
You said the length of a 10mm socket - just give me the lengths you need as I'm afraid of letting my 10mm sockets out of the roll away since they tend to disappear (and the length varies a lot by brand)

Missed this.
There are three diameters

Step 1 expands just enough to keep the case from squeezing the bullet down and long enough for normal seating depth.
Step 2 over expands to create a little cup for the bullet to sit in and is very short
Step 3 is there to act as the normal belling step - really the case should barely kiss this area.

@ffej ruedorb - I need to cut that part for you
You said the length of a 10mm socket - just give me the lengths you need as I'm afraid of letting my 10mm sockets out of the roll away since they tend to disappear (and the length varies a lot by brand)
Additional question:

If you were to run this die, I assume that using something like a Lee factory crimp die after seating would be wrong. Since the Factory crimp die would resize the brass down to something smaller than the M die expanded it to, swaging the bullet. Is that correct?

@ffej ruedorb When using these, are you running the Factory crimp die or something similar to it?

Additional question:

If you were to run this die, I assume that using something like a Lee factory crimp die after seating would be wrong. Since the Factory crimp die would resize the brass down to something smaller than the M die expanded it to, swaging the bullet. Is that correct?

@ffej ruedorb When using these, are you running the Factory crimp die or something similar to it?
No problem with a factory crimp - just set it properly to only remove the belling or roll the case mouth into a crimp groove.

No problem with a factory crimp - just set it properly to only remove the belling or roll the case mouth into a crimp groove.
Thanks. i was doing a super light kiss using the Factory crimp die. I was just thinking that the carbide sizing portion of the FCD might be ever so slightly swaging the bullet. Since I am going to try .357 for my 9mm I thought maybe I should avoid the FCD since it might swage them in the brass back to .356 (or something based on the thickness of the brass walls.

I did have an issue with x39 and it was the seat crimp die shaving coating off. I had to fine tune a seat crimp die with a dowel and sandpaper but I don’t remembered what die set. I do remember buying a rcbs die to make it work, lee wasn’t good enough

Thanks. i was doing a super light kiss using the Factory crimp die. I was just thinking that the carbide sizing portion of the FCD might be ever so slightly swaging the bullet. Since I am going to try .357 for my 9mm I thought maybe I should avoid the FCD since it might swage them in the brass back to .356 (or something based on the thickness of the brass walls.
Yes - the FCD with a carbide insert will destroy cast rounds.
I was thinking of the collet type.

The Lee FCD is a bad solution to poor reloading habits.

Yes - the FCD with a carbide insert will destroy cast rounds.
I was thinking of the collet type.

The Lee FCD is a bad solution to poor reloading habits.
Thanks. That’s what I figured. I’ll get a straight taper crimp die and see if that solves my issue before going to 357. Although I’ll probably try that too.

That FCD comes with the set and when I did plated bullets it worked fine. Even on the 45 ACP I did with cast, I used the FCD and had no problems. I’ll swap that out too now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom