• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homelite generator problems

I have a Homelite generator with a Robin engine. It starts fine, runs for about a minute, then dies. If I let it sit for a time it will restart and do the same thing. I checked the gas shutoff valve and it is working, removed the fuel strainer, puled the hose from the engine, turned on the fuel valve and gas runs out. Tried new gas also, do difference. It has the correct amount of oil in it. I have checked all the wire connectors and they are fine.
Any ideas, anyone had this problem?
I can't afford to take it to be repaired at this time, hope someone can help.
The fuel inlet in the carb was obstructed, when I removed the float bowl, it was dry so I reamed out the fuel inlet, felt something, and now it runs fine. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Check the fuel cap. Sometimes the tiny breather in it clogs up and causes the tank to be pulled into a vacuum. (Run it with the cap off, or very loose.) It could also be a clogged float valve in the carb. The ethanol based gas causes all kinds of wonderful issues with small engines.

Check the fuel cap. Sometimes the tiny breather in it clogs up and causes the tank to be pulled into a vacuum. (Run it with the cap off, or very loose.) It could also be a clogged float valve in the carb. The ethanol based gas causes all kinds of wonderful issues with small engines.

This.. Check the cap and loosen it.

The supply of fuel from the tank to the carb is lower than the use of fule from the carb to the engine. When it dies, the fuel flows in, and there's enough to restart it. Then the cycle repeats.

If it's an older unit, the plastic/rubber parts may be gettng gummed up due to the ethanol that's in the fuel, now (ask me how I know).

I had similar problems when testing out the gennie before Sandy.
I took out the sediment cup and cleaned it with carb cleaner, drained any old gas out through the carb release valve, and then cleaned up the carb and jet with carb clenear. Runs great now.

This. if it'll start and run fine for a time, then dies, then restarts a few minutes later, the carb bowl is running out of fuel. Clogged filter, carb floats, or vacuum problems.

Clean your carb and use fresh gas. Not to hard to do. Usually thats the culprit. After that you can look at other things, but start there.

Back
Top Bottom