HOLY SMOKES!! I'm in LOVE with Levers!!

My nephew has a Marlin Guide Gun (I think that's the model), 18.5", in .450 Marlin. He bought when he was 18 (and 6'3", 250 pounds).

When he showed it to me, I commented that the recoil must be stout. He said, "I guess maybe it kicks a little bit."

He was using to to shoot turtles, like it was a .22 or something.

Does your marlin have the rear band screw/pin issue on the foregrip ? I bought a used marlin a few months back with a broken screw/pin but since replaced it with a new pin sent from Remington. Supposedly the new ones are made to not break after a few rounds.

Have not had any issues with that, but I bought it used, so not sure if it was already replaced when I bought it. Since I have only put a couple of boxes of rounds through it, but will surely be shooting it more often since I joined a range where I can use it.

Henry 410 lever action. Draws a bit of attention when I pull it out on the trap range. Even more fun to shoot doubles with my own slinger.

Love my lever actions.

IMG_20170521_160214312.jpg

I've been adding several levers to the collection last few months.

1950's Chicopee Falls Savage 99 in .243 with a vintage steel scope
Remlin 336 in 30-30 Win
Remlin 1895 in 45-70.
Remlin 1895 cowboy long barrel 45-70.

Next up is probably a Henry in 357 or 44. Can't make up my mind, I have revolvers in both calibers.

No issues at all with the Remlins, they are GTG quality now. The wood has been really nice on both new ones I've gotten, finish is more of a oil, but it looks good, and is actually more suitable to a lever.

I also have a JM Guide Gun in 450 marlin. Recoil is STOUT.

How strong are the Henry's in comparison to the Marlin's, especially in heavy calibers like the 45-70?

The action is pretty much the same as the Marlin minus the loading gate. I'm pretty sure Henry must pay some $$ to use the design, unless having no loading gate is enough of a difference not to pay royalties. But, since there is no cut for the loading gate....stronger would be my guess.

Just got an email from Henry the other day that the color case hardened large loop levers are now available. Put in an order for one to match the gun. I wanted the long barrel, but it wasn't available with the large loop, so figured I would wait and get the large loop later, but it has been out of stock for awhile.

I hate you all.... every time I stop looking at lever actions, a post like this comes up.

I know I'll add a 357/38 to the safe... but should I go with a 24" or 20" ?

Not a huge fan of tube loading.
I deal with it for a rinfire but that’s it.

If I were going to spend $1k on a lever gun it sure wouldn’t be a Henry.
Sign me up for an Italian copy of an old Winchester anyday.
Way sexier and smoother.

I go to maine about once a month in spring /summer. We shoot on the property. I have a number of rifles and shotguns but my Winchester 94 seems to be the one that consistently makes the trip with me . I never get tired of it.

Way sexier and smoother.

I just sold my uberti case harded 1873. gorgeous rifle. fit and finish were top notch. makes me sort of sad to realize such craftsmanship is almost never found in american built firearms. unfortunately i never shot the Uberti but i'm glad it found a new home. i'm more into bolt guns than levers, but when i get the lever itch i reach for the henry steel 45-70.

I just sold my uberti case harded 1873. gorgeous rifle. fit and finish were top notch. makes me sort of sad to realize such craftsmanship is almost never found in american built firearms. unfortunately i never shot the Uberti but i'm glad it found a new home. i'm more into bolt guns than levers, but when i get the lever itch i reach for the henry steel 45-70.

They are gorgeous for sure. Sucks that we can’t make anything as nice in country.
45/70 always scratches the itch

Way sexier and smoother.

When i shoot my Henry, I load one round at time. As I kick down the loop, i put a round in the door and rack it. Very fast and accurate rate of fire. Save more time doing that than loading 8 to 10 rounds in the tube.

I hate you all.... every time I stop looking at lever actions, a post like this comes up.

I know I'll add a 357/38 to the safe... but should I go with a 24" or 20" ?
Definitely 20, unless you want to go down to 18 or 16.5".

There's nothing to be gained in handgun cartridges past 16.5", except sight radius.

When i shoot my Henry, I load one round at time. As I kick down the loop, i put a round in the door and rack it. Very fast and accurate rate of fire. Save more time doing that than loading 8 to 10 rounds in the tube.
Good point. I do that with my Marlin 1894 a lot.

Just got an email from Henry the other day that the color case hardened large loop levers are now available. Put in an order for one to match the gun. I wanted the long barrel, but it wasn't available with the large loop, so figured I would wait and get the large loop later, but it has been out of stock for awhile.
You could just buy the one with the small loop and buy a large loop direct from Henry website and install yourself.

You could just buy the one with the small loop and buy a large loop direct from Henry website and install yourself.

That is what I did, I have the rifle with small loop, large loop was not available until I just got the email from them and I ordered the large loop and will install it myself.

Definitely 20, unless you want to go down to 18 or 16.5".

There's nothing to be gained in handgun cartridges past 16.5", except sight radius.

That’s what I was thinking too but it seems like the Winchester 1873s that I like are mostly 24.

I was thinking 20 or under would be better

Now you need a Uberti clone of a Winchester 1873 if you want super sexy and addictive.
Great pic!
I love me some lever guns.
Ever look at the ballistics of pistol cartridges in a carbine? Add a good 300 FPS to what a revolver does. Heck of a lot of power in a little repeater
This, I have a T&C 1873 clone and a 1886 24" takedown and they are both loads of fun. I really need to get one in .22 at some point just for the sake just having one to use. Every time I see one of those Savage 99 I want one after I got to shoot my grandfather's in 30-30

Back
Top Bottom