Holster recommendations for newer Sig P229R

I just picked up a 2014 model P229R. It has the tac rail and E2 grips, but the slide does NOT say E2 on it.

I'm looking for a decent, but inexpensive paddle retention holster for it. This would be specifically for the range, not for carry.

Question 1:
Is there an easy way to determine if this P229 has the 1.5" or the 1.6" wide slide?
Everything I've read online is that the thicker "E2" slide will not fit the vast majority of holsters designed for the P229.

Question 2:
If I've got a standard slide, what's your favorite brand/model range holster?
If I've got the E2 slide, do you have any suggestions for a holster that will work with this model? Would a holster designed for the 228 work? Or one designed for a 229 .40?

1. Calipers.
2. Not the Alien Gear OWB holster. Unless you want to buy mine, in which case it's awesome.

1b. If you don't have calipers but you have a friend or patience you can sandwich the slide between two straight edges (with the straight edges perpendicular to the slide). To make sure you have the straight edges parallel, measure the straight edges on either side of the slide and make sure those numbers are the same.

Last edited:
I don't know your definition of inexpensive, but I like the BladeTech holsters. They have all sorts of attachment systems including paddle.

If it is for range use, then you don't need a retention holster. Get an open top kydex holster from Bladetech or Comptac. Please don't get a Serpa.

If you insist on a retention holster, then get a Safariland.

Please note that a paddle basically defeats the idea of a retention holster. A paddle doesn't securely attach the holster to your belt. In a struggle, the perp could easily remove the gun and holster from you.

Also note that paddle holsters don't hold the gun as close to the body.

IMO, you would be better served if you skipped both the retention and paddle.

Ok. So for range use, just look for a simple open top kydex holster w/ belt loops. I can do that.

Having dug into the specs a little more, I'm pretty sure my 229 has the 1.5" slide, which makes things much, much easier.

Thanks for the advice!

The SigTac holster w/ retention works great for me. Also have a blade tech revolution. I think both were around $30, The Sig Tac does not leave ANY marks on the pistol

Back
Top Bottom