Hiking with a CCW?

I thought hiking on public land was OK with a CCW, then saw this on gonh.org's FAQ sheet:

60. I love to hike and have heard New Hampshire has public land I would love to hike on. May I carry my self defense tools (firearms) with me, so that I may be safe?

Generally no. Trap for the unwary who may go hiking or walking NH RSA 212:17 prohibits you from carrying a firearm in the following: “Penalty.–Any person found upon a state game refuge, except as may be permitted under RSA 212:15, or upon any land under the control of the executive director, which has been established by him as an area for the propagation of game, having in his possession a loaded firearm, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.”

Is this correct? I can't hike on public land with a loaded, concealed handgun (with permit, of course)? That doesn't seem right...

Last edited:
It isn't right. They misquoted the RSA. It almost seems intentional too. The last past of the RSA actually says

212:17 Penalty. – Any person found upon a state game refuge, except as may be permitted under RSA 212:15, or upon any land under the control of the executive director, which has been established by the executive director as an area for the propagation of game, who discharges a firearm for the purpose of taking wildlife, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

How about hiking these two:

1) Mt Monadnock - NH State Park
2) Mt Washington - part State Park and part National Forest

Curious about both OC and CCW (w/OOS license)

GONH, anybody here know the GONH webmaster? or Penny Dean?

Anybody here with contacts at GONH who can get them to fix their FAQ? Penny Dean's file appears to date to 2013, and was obsolete as of 1/1/2013 (2012 HB 1555).

Back
Top Bottom