high speed gear

Matty,

There's so many choices in tactical gear that it can become bewildering. Everyine has the latest and greatest and it comes at a price, (often inflated beyond reality). Even more often, tactical rigs are made with substandard materials and/or made in a way to be tactically useless.

One must consider the effectivemess of tactical gear in a real world fighting scenario. If it's just for hauling mags and looking tacticool, then those cheap Leapers vests are just the ticket... [wink] However, if gear is purchased with even the slightes hint that it may be used tactically, (either for training or for real), then you must think about the way most battles are fought - prone. Ask yourself: How accessible are my mags, trauma kit, pistol, etc laying on my belly? How will the gear affect my breathing, or my posture while in the prone position? It may look great on a mannequin, or even on you, but ask yourself how effective it will be running accross a field and then diving on your belly - all the while trying to stay as low and concealed as possible? How far up will you have to raise your body to get to more ammo? Are your mags better off on your weak side or on your belly?

I have done a fair amount of trial and error and yes, I went for the tacticool Leapers vest myself, (huge mistake). I also have expermented with Molle rigs from CTD to Blackhawk, (made in Vietnam by the way). All were dismal failures until I met a person on another forum who goes by the handle J Boyette. This is not a weekend warrior or operator wannabe - this is a man who has actually operated in hot spots around the world. After reading thread after thread full of tactical gear ballyhoo, Mr. Boyette posted an eye-opener of a post on tactical gear.

After several PM's to him I at last found a tactical rig that is not based on cool or hype, but rather on operational experiences of real operators in the field. It's the Arktis 1624 NL. This is a rig engineered by the Brits and is the culmination of decades of real battle research into effective load bearing gear. you owe it to yourself to explore this equipment. It's so well made that it will shock you and the price is right, (around $180.00). I've posted a ling to Arktis USA and to Mr. Boyette's post. I hope it helps you make the right decision:

Scroll Down To Arktis 1624

J. Boyette's Post

Good luck with your choice Matty. If you don't have one by then, you can try mine at the next shoot...You won't be disappointed....

Matt:

I too have heard great things about the Arktis rig. However, my personal choice was to go low speed. I have found that few can beat the US Army issue LBV vest with two extra 30 round mag pouches. That set-up gives you capacity to carry, comfortably, twelve 30 rounders, plus one in the weapon.

One of the things I like most about this configuration (as with the 1624) is that you don't have big bulky mag pouches on the front of your chest. The High Speed Gear link (to the Warlord V-1) shows precisely what I've found I like to avoid; vests that carry many mag pouches on the front of the rig.

Take a look at that picture and imagine yourself getting comfortable in the prone position, or low crawling. Both the Arktis and issue vest spread the load better. My preference for the issue vest over Arktis is simply a matter of getting more for the money. You can spend 180.00 bucks on the Arktis or 40.00 on a surplus vest, pistol belt and ammo pouches.

Just my opinion, of course

Matt:

I too have heard great things about the Arktis rig. However, my personal choice was to go low speed. I have found that few can beat the US Army issue LBV vest with two extra 30 round mag pouches. That set-up gives you capacity to carry, comfortably, twelve 30 rounders, plus one in the weapon.

One of the things I like most about this configuration (as with the 1624) is that you don't have big bulky mag pouches on the front of your chest. The High Speed Gear link (to the Warlord V-1) shows precisely what I've found I like to avoid; vests that carry many mag pouches on the front of the rig.

Take a look at that picture and imagine yourself getting comfortable in the prone position, or low crawling. Both the Arktis and issue vest spread the load better. My preference for the issue vest over Arktis is simply a matter of getting more for the money. You can spend 180.00 bucks on the Arktis or 40.00 on a surplus vest, pistol belt and ammo pouches.

Just my opinion, of course

Great points - if I had to give up the Arktis, I would assemble a USGI rig for sure - over any other "tacti-cool" rig. I used to have a complete USGI rig and found it to be exceptional at hauling around my gear - I just find the Arktis rig to be more accessible and well-thought out. Attachment of accessories, (dump bags, owie kits, packs, hydration) is a snap and it seems to distribute the weight a little better. Either will serve you well....

I've never understood why so many people buy all the vests, webgear, etc. I'm never going to lay siege to someone... When I'm fortunate enough to be in a state where I can carry a firearm, CCWed or otherwise, I usually have the gun, 2 extra mags or so, and that's about it. Other than truly practical items like a bullet resistant vest, and holsters, I can't ever see myself buying all of this cool looking equipment out there. But to each his own.

Other than truly practical items like a bullet resistant vest, and holsters, I can't ever see myself buying all of this cool looking equipment out there

so then why reply to a thread you know nothing about with zero valuable info???

mark and ranger thank you both for the replies and i do like the looks of that arktis rig

ill post pics later of the rig i currently have

i always thought chest pouches were a good way to carry things and never really thought about the fact that they dont let you go prone as easily...i like those warlord chest rigs because you could carry a lot of ammo in a relatively small space and its easier to just slip on over your head vs snaps and belts like i have on my other rig

I've never understood why so many people buy all the vests, webgear, etc. I'm never going to lay siege to someone...
I usually assume they are facing deployment in the sandbox some time in the near future. That, or they are from California.

Vellnueve:

Valid point, on not needing the high speed gear. But I think you could make the same point about much of the stuff one sees discussed here. My personal response is that I don't define my hobby/passion as being gun ownership. It's military history. In my six years as an active duty Infantryman, I developed a fascination with the tools of modern warfare. I not only spend a great deal of time learning about the tactics and weaponry of modern soldiers, but also about the gear that they used. Therefore, the weapons/guns are simply one component of what I collect. I not only want the M1 Garand, but also the web gear and uniform of the guys that carried the Garand.

Just like with many hobbies, one collects things that may not have a direct correlation to what’s needed in day to day life. But they are enjoyable (and hence serve a valid purpose) none the less.

Matt:

Here's a shot of how I have my LBV set up:
LBV.jpg

I currently have a Gerber LMF II hanging on the pistol belt. I've gone back and forth a bunch of times on the best all around knife option, and settled on this (for the time being). Regardless of the specific knife, I have found that a sturdy fixed blade (with a 5"-7" blade) works best for me. As with all the "stuff" people hang on their gear, there's a size vs. weight decision that needs to be made.

I place the 30 round magazine pouches back away from the front and sides, so as to allow unencumbered ability to get prone or roll to the side without a big sharp box hitting you in the abdomen or hip. This set up also allows the wearer to carry a ruck without the stuff in the back interfering with the ruck resting properly.

That's understandable. I've just run into a lot of people who really do think the zombies are going to rise or an alien invasion is on the way.

Are there any rigs that have the mags in the back? Certainly has its disadvanatages but I've found that it works well for me when paintballing.

Again, much in like making preps for unforseen disasters, there's a fine line between being paranoid and prepared. I don't live in fear that "the zombies are coming", but I also live with the awareness that things, (especially in today's climate) can and likely will happen....My Arktis rig serves me for more than looking "tacticool" - it's a useful tool to carry not only my firearns gear, but my photography gear as well....It's little different to me than buying an accessory for my M1A, while at the same time eliminates the "ostrich with the head in the sand" feeling - thinking that nothing will ever happen to little ole me....

Bloodhound - Short of a Rhodesian Chest Rig, I'd shy away from anything which adds bulk up front. You could go for a Molle smock-type vest, (like a sandwich board) and add pouches where you need them. Unless you go cheap, expect final pricing to be in the stratosphere...

Been out of the training aspect recently but here is my $.02.

1) Gene makes bomb-proof gear at HSG. I own one of his drop-leg holsters and it is very well made and comfortable. He has made stuff and modified stuff for pretty much everybody out there.

2) Special Operations Technologies ( SO Tech. ) was big a few years ago when I grabbed 2 load bearing vests/ chest rigs from them. The vest I didn't see on the website anymore but is their version of the issue LBE and is very nice. The chest rig is their Tomcat, which is based on the Hellcat rig. It is very nice but is a specific purpose piece of gear. I have a mix of other companies stuff that is as good or better than these pieces are.

3) You don't go stupid... one good LBE rig can be all that you need but you do need to think about what you are gonna do with it.

4) The STRIKE gear from Blackhawk is good stuff, or at least it was a year or two ago. I have some pouches that are theirs and it works good.

MassMark does bring up the point that gear is a personal choice. You will get some stuff that doesn't work before you get stuff that doesn't. It takes time to get this right and I wish these companies would have been in business when I was in in the 1980's... ALICE GEAR SUCKED!!!!

Joe R>

ok so heres my "tac rig"

06_11_0.jpg

06_11_1.jpg

its blackhawk LB harness attached to their patrol belt
complimented by my beta mag pouch, 2: 6-30 round magazine pouches, 1: 1qt canteen pouch, 1: 4 -30 round magazine pouch + 2 grenade/smoke pouches, and a butt pack capable of holding medical kit, bandoleer, large knife, food, etc

this pic is from the blackhawk website and is basically the design i copied for my rig...but i wanted more ammo storage...so mine can carry a maximum of 16- 30 round mags plus 1 beta mag and the mag that happens to be in the gun for a total of 600+ rounds plus more if i threw a bandoleer into the butt pack

35LBS1_0BIG.JPG

Matt:

Looks great. Why are you looking to replace it?

Keep in mind, 600 rounds of 5.56 (in 30 round mags) weighs close to 50 lbs. Those harness straps would be diggin into your shoulders very quickly with that kind of weigh attached.

Keep in mind, 600 rounds of 5.56 (in 30 round mags) weighs close to 50 lbs. Those harness straps would be diggin into your shoulders very quickly with that kind of weigh attached.

its actually not that bad...although i havent had it on for more than a few hours at a time...and usually im dumpin ammo at the same time...

because this rig has a pouch for my beta mag i consider it my m4 rig only...it could be adapted very easily for my ak but i would prefer a separate rig

i know alot of the contractors in iraq are using chest rigs so i figured id try one to see what it was like...i just didnt wanna buy junk and waste my money

Matt - That rig looks very traditional, yet functional. Looks like classic USGI, with some modern comfort updates. For me personally, I'm concerned with too much ammo concentrated on my strong side - it's a balancing act. If you're not using a beta as a primary, I'd move it to your strong side and focus your mags on the left. If you think of the mechanics of a firefight, unless you're standing behind neck high thick cover, (reinforced wall, vehicle, berm, etc.), you're going to be prone. Imagine trying to access magazines on your strong side while laying down - it will require you to essentially drop your weapon to retrieve magazines. Just a thought.

Also on the chest rig principle - look into an Arktis Rhodesian Rig, (or similar). If you go Molle, focus your mag points on your vest above your belly. Again, think about the mechanics of going prone. Firing your weapon, your chest will be elevated slightly, bringing your mag pouches out of the dirt, (which is right where you want them). Pouches positioned too low, will be difficult and sometimes impossible to access in the prone, plus you'll essentially drag them through the dirt while getting them into your gun. Lastly, mags up front on the belly will apply pressure on your diaphram and after scrambling or under stress, breathing will be difficult. So a chest, or Rhodesian rig makes the most sense to me. If you must have your gear up front, make it high enough not to restrict your breathing.

Something about the rig you linked to seems like trouble, but that's just me.

mark...the way mine is set up is strong side from front to back...beta mag, 6 magazines, canteen...weak side...4 magazines (with pouch for grenades or knife or whatever), 6 magazines...then the butt pack obviously right near the small of the back

i like how the rig rides...and was thinking besides having a separate ak rig, chest high pouches to carry ammo would allow for carry of other necessities on the belt

what do you mean by "trouble"?

i may get one of those arktis rigs to compare to my current rig cuz the price is right

what do you mean by "trouble"?

It may be just an optical illusion, but that rig you linked to looks very bulky up front. It may be overstuffed for advertising, but it looks like you'd be a teeter-totter with that rig. I could be wrong, but would love to see/read some real-world use of that vest. Looks like it may be an effective entry vest, but for in the dirt fighting, it looks cumbersome...I'm a pretty stocky guy and I personally would steer clear of that rig...Even on the small frame mannequin, look at the distance between the outer reaches of the mag pouches and the body - looks to be about a foot. Add to that the hard magazine bodies tucked into those pouches and in my opinion, you have significant bulk up front.

I've attached small images from the catalog of each vest. I have the 1624, which I prefer, (it's more of a cross between a chest and a vest rig), but if you're sold on the Rhodesian-type rig, (which is fine), look at the differences in up front bulk between the High-Speed and the Arktis 1724 dedicated chest rig...

Attachments

• WARV1450.jpg
    WARV1450.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1724rig.jpg
    1724rig.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 9
1) Chest rig - Pro: everything up front.

can be worn over armor.

no need for dedicated belt to wear the rig.

some can be stripped down to just ammo only as a " grab
and go " rig.

Cons: all weight is forward- can be tiring to wear for along time.

not alot of real estate for extra pouches - might need
another piece of gear to carry what it can't.

A chest rig shines on mounted/vehicle operations where you would spend time sitting down. No gear on the back/waist like canteens means the seat is somewhat comfortable. Short-ranged patrols would also be okay with these as the fatigue factor might not set in with the upfront load.

LBV ( Load Bearing Vest ): Pros - Spread the weight out over a bigger area

Potentially more versitile if is configurable
by user for various missions.

Some can be worn with belts to help in
carrying more stuff without that much more
discomfort.

Cons - can feel confining if the designed wrong

can be limiting if not configurable ( not do
anything well but just work.)

backpacks not comfortable to wear with rig
because of pouches, buckles in the way.

LBV can do most of what is thrown at it well and is confortable for wearing a long time. My SO Tech vest is good for this as it has good " ajustability" to make it right. I use a cartridge belt to add a couple of pouches and a buttpack to get more space. The bad is that it makes the vest a drag to put on and off quickly.

Blood hound - that is alot of ammo to be carrying... are you up to it? Suspenders aren't really great on your shoulders for carrying alot of weight. You might want to reconsider your loadout. I also would like for you to think about bailing that Beta mag too. THe stories in the sandbox/'stan aren't BS - they're true. Beta mag is great on the range but I wouldn't trust something that hasn't had a good combat record - stick with the 30 rd mags and make sure they are good to go.

Joe R.

Last edited:
All I used was standard 4-8Mag/2Grenade modified LBV, my web belt had 2 3-30 Mag pouches, Canteen, First-Aid, Drop down Tac Holster, Para-Knife, some smaller CCT stuff, Compass, GPS, Smoke, etc

All that while wearing an Interceptor Vest, PRC-117 radio pack, and Fast-line gear. The weight was perfect and nothing snagged while Fast-Lining. Rest of my gear was packed on a dropped/roll out ATV depending on the mission.

A beta mag on a setup is useless waste and extra weight. I'd rather have more 30 rd mags for extra ammo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom