Hi-cap mag. law question

I got into a discussion with a guy at the club I shoot at regarding hi-cap mags. here. I said that I just bought a Glock from a gun shop and he had (used) pre-ban hi-cap mags. for sale. The guy told me he's breaking the law. I just said that I though as long as they were made before 1994 you can purchase them. He said no way, that I had to own them before the 1994 ban. This gun shop also had some AR15 pre-ban mags. also for sale. The guy at the gun shop said, we can sell hi-cap mags. made before 1994 in Mass.

I tried digesting the Mass. gun laws but I got a headache with all the section this and section that b.s.

So can anyone clear this matter up for us? Can you:

1. Buy hi-cap mags. made before 1994 in Mass.
2. Go to a FREE state and buy them or online
3. Or, must I already own them before 1994 ban
4. Can I 'rebuild' damaged or worn out hi-cap mags in MA?
5. If there is no LEO or date on them how does anyone know when they were made?

Thanks very much.

Tell you gun club guy to take a look at MGL Ch 140 s. 131M.

You can use any or all of the options you list, so long as you are sure the mags are pre-September 13 1994.

As far as determining the date of manufacture on unmarked mags, that can be very difficult, depending on who the manufacturer was.

Last edited:
Tell you gun club guy to take a look at MGL Ch 140 s. 131M.

You can use any or all of the options you list, so long as you are sure the mags are pre-October 1994.

Isn't it September 94? I thought the AWB cutoff was 9/13/94 or
something to that effect.

-Mike

One last question. MA law says:
"Massachusetts prohibits the sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of a large capacity feeding device (as defined under Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 121) unless such device was lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Ch. 140, § 131M."

I'm a bit cloudy on this statement....
...Lawfully possessed....

By me? By anyone in general?

Thank you to all who replied. I knew the members here would have the answers.

Thanks again.
==Mike

Last edited:
One last question. MA law says:
"Massachusetts prohibits the sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of a large capacity feeding device (as defined under Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 121) unless such device was lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Ch. 140, § 131M."

I'm a bit cloudy on this statement....
...Lawfully possessed....

By me? By anyone in general?
Anyone, hence it really means made before. The law does not specify by who or even where therefore such considerations do not apply. Also, restricting to ownership by the same individual prior to some date would be entirely inconsistent with the fact that the law allows for sale and transfer of such items after said date.

I believe it's 'lawfully' possessed by anyone who made a legal purchase to obtain it.
As opposed to stealing it...HAHA

Back
Top Bottom