heres one

SKS Ray

NES Member
Its far fetched but ya gotta use some imagination.[grin]
I'm sure everyone here has seen the movie Red Dawn. The old 80s flick where some high school kids hide out in the mountains and fend off invaders during WW3. Say you were coming home from a day of shooting and a situation like Red Dawn came to be where your city and surrounding areas were invaded and taken over. The only rifle you have with you is the one you were shooting that day, a bolt action military surplus rifle, along with a decent supply of ammo for it. What rifle would you want to have with you to protect yourself and fend off the invaders?

My choice would be my Savage Enfield No.4 Mk1 because of reasons stated in the quiz post. Its high capacity, and I can shoot it accurately.

Would have to be my enfield.. Believe it or not, I have MUCH more ammo on hand for that than my Mossin.

Adam

I've got an Enfield, a Mosin Nagant, a Swedish Mauser, and a Kimber 8400. But they're all in oddball calibers. In a TEOTWAKI situation, I'd want something in a common caliber (30-06, .308, or .223).

So I'd take my M1A or Garand (yes, I know you said bolt action...)

Saiga in 308 and let GOD sort them out.....you have to take them out quickly so use a big enough caliber to do that. My saiga is with me all the time on every trip to the range. But i always have my 8mm Hakim with me too.

This is no joke if you seen the movie some attacked from within they crossed from the Mexican border now does that sound familiar? There already here brother.

I heard they figure that 25,000 of them crossed our southern border from Mexico, plus the 6,000 that are here already, plus the 3,000 college exchange students they can't account for adds up to a small army of 34,000 + or -. I also heard they figure there in 5 to 25 people per sleeper cell too.

All i can say is "YOU GOT AMMO?" I hope the day never comes but a RED DAWN situation is possible after all the movie probably gave them the idea so we may have to defend our homeland on our own soil.

Last edited:
BigBill said:
Saiga in 308 and let GOD sort them out.....you have to take them out quickly so use a big enough caliber to do that. My saiga is with me all the time on every trip to the range.

This is no joke if you seen the movie some attacked from within they crossed from the Mexican border now does that sound familiar? There already here brother.

Is it just me, or is anyone else thinkling about the impending warm weather here, and the ongoing mess with all the NOLA refugees?

Ok, lets update this one

Ok, lets update this one. Since this is a Mislurp section I was thinking bolt action milsurps. Plus i'm usually driving home with a box full of 60+ year old bolt action rifles and cans of ammo.[smile]
Now to update.... you're driving home after shooting. You've got 1 rifle with you, and its military, plus you've still got plenty of ammo left. AK47, SKS, Mosin Nagant, AR, whatever. Red Dawn scenario breaks out... what rifle do you want with you?

In an updated situation, id say my Romak 3.

81870009.jpg

Yeah its a little heavy and long, it'd be hard to carry through urban enviorments in apartments, etc. but where I shoot (Rochester, Mass.) its mostly wooded and thats where i'd be hidden away living off the land and taking out the enemy as they came near. Urban enviorments it'd be great for long range rooftop shots and you could still shoot from the hip in a close combat situation. Plus the 7.62x54 round would take down the enemy fast and the scope is easily detachable if it were to get damaged. Bad points would be rifle size and 10 round magazine capacity.[thinking]

On a side note: Len... a 50 Barrett eh? I wanna go shooting with you.[bow]

386260.gif

The Chandler IBA Tactical Precision Rifle
Remington M700 PSS - 26 inch Remington heavy barrel with 1:12” twist
- Remington Model 700 Short Action
- HS Precision composite stock with aluminum bedding block
Leupold Tactical Scope - MK4 4.5-14x40 Precision Rifle Side Focus w/ 30MM Tube with Mil Dot.

With this and my ghillie all I will get all the enemy weapon systems and ammo I need.

I would Have to say a 1903-A3 Springfield! the sights are good for old eyes
if you Hylite the front one a little, i have bookoo AP rounds wich realy would make an impresion on "the not to friendly"and in a pinch you could rummage
through Sporting goods Stores,Hunting Camps, Homes,Armory,s anywhare
in the Country, For the "Forever Popular" 30/06!!!!

So load up,Head Out, And ( GIT-ER-DONE )

The Sheriff said that!

Milsurps 4 Me said:
On a side note: Len... a 50 Barrett eh? I wanna go shooting with you.[bow]

The original post didn't say you had to own it, just asked what you'd want to use!! It also didn't say that you'd have to hump the gun anywhere!

No I don't own one, damn few ranges would allow you to fire it, so for me it would be pointless to own one.

Time to break out the Garand; even better if the little boss has the mini-30 with her, too. Of course, if for some reason I need to travel too far north, I might be better off with the P14. Where did I put those bayonets?!?

SgtUSMC8541 said:
...snip...With this and my ghillie all I will get all the enemy weapon systems and ammo I need.

Reminds me very much of the Remington 700's the Marine Reservists had at Ft Douglas UT years ago.

Ray P said:
Reminds me very much of the Remington 700's the Marine Reservists had at Ft Douglas UT years ago.

Its very close to the M40A1 I carried for the past 13 years including Iraq. The main diffrence is the scope. Very good stick.

Used to know a MAJ Lacanto at Stone Bay, Camp Legune NC. We did some renovation work on his barracks over by Maggies Drawers (the bar, not the wave-off flag).

Actually, he made CWO5 from O4; neat trick!

added by edit: Stone Bay being the 1st stage in East coast sniper training?

Ray P said:
Used to know a MAJ Lacanto at Stone Bay, Camp Legune NC. We did some renovation work on his barracks over by Maggies Drawers (the bar, not the wave-off flag).

Actually, he made CWO5 from O4; neat trick!

added by edit: Stone Bay being the 1st stage in East coast sniper training?

Stone Bay is where Weapons Training Batt is. 2nd Marine Divison Scout Sniper School is located there. (I am an Alumni ) I know Maggies Drawers. Tossed a few back there and the graduation from SSS is held there.

SgtUSMC8541 said:
Stone Bay is where Weapons Training Batt is. 2nd Marine Divison Scout Sniper School is located there. (I am an Alumni ) I know Maggies Drawers. Tossed a few back there and the graduation from SSS is held there.
Nice place. Had one there myself when NMCB26's last det finished at the project, and turned over the remaining phase of work to NMCB27. This was 96-97. Later transfered to NMCB27 when I moved to ME; and wound up at LZ Parrot (again!) for MILEX. Project work was always much better than MILEX

LZ Parrot! Ha! I still have maps of those areas. LZ Blue Bird!

The best thing was the Dominos. You could get a pizza delivered to a grid square.

Damn, I just saw the Chandler. I'm seriously going to have consider buying one of those. I like sniper rifles, and the name Chandler is particularly fond to me, seeing how I've got Chandler blood in my veins, so to say.

Back
Top Bottom