help with my first revolver

cb1

I brought home a S&W 649 last night (my first revolver) and thought I'd give it a good cleaning before taking it out on a test run. However, while cleaning I noticed that the patches were catching on the inside of the barrel near the cylinder.

IMG_0331.jpg

I'm not concerned about the material itself being stuck in the barrel, but should I be concerned about what the patches are catching on? Or is this normal? I'm still new to the world of firearms so I'd rather ask dumb questions instead of getting myself hurt via firing an unsafe gun. This is a new revolver.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Probably not a problem. That is the beginning of the bore and the part the patch is catching on is the start of one of the lands. Normally lands are ramped to gradually guide the round into the bore but the angle of that ramp varies with gun. Can you post that same picture without the patch stuck there so we can see what it looks like? Can't really tell squat with the patch there.

There is an over sized funnel shaped area called a forcing cone that actually catches the bullet after it jumps a little gap between the cylinder and the barrel. it's designed to correct a minor misalignment of the chamber if isn't indexed properly. There may be a tiny bit of copper jacket caught where the rifling begins or a slight burr in the steal.

Here is the good news, If there is one place to have a problem with the bore that will be the place.

I would not be concerned about this at all in regards to firing safety. After a good cleaning and a few more rounds down the pipe I would look at it again.

Good luck,

--Mike

Can you post that same picture without the patch stuck there so we can see what it looks like? Can't really tell squat with the patch there.

I did my best to get a picture from the same angle:

IMG_0340.jpg

In some different lighting you can see exactly where the patch was catching:

IMG_0346.jpg

Unfortunately these are the best quality pics I can get with my camera.

I would not be concerned about this at all in regards to firing safety. After a good cleaning and a few more rounds down the pipe I would look at it again.

Thanks. Safety is my main concern. Would this affect the revolver's accuracy if it's a burr in the steal and doesn't wear itself down?

Actually, try a different angle and focus on that part. It is probably lead fouling or a jacket fragment. It is definitely something because that second shot you took has a nice high contrast to it and that is showing up clearly. Do you shoot lead out of that revolver? If so, what Mike was referring to and what I was getting at with the angle of the lands has probably caused a piece lead to come off.

While you are waiting for responses, take a brush and work that area over good. A brass lug with a patch (normally what you would use for lead fouling) is also an option but its location is not likely to be amenable to that technique of cleaning.

Thanks. Safety is my main concern. Would this affect the revolver's accuracy if it's a burr in the steal and doesn't wear itself down?

I think your little problem will go away after you shoot a few rounds.

Arguably, everything effects accuracy. That said, i would be a lot more concerned about a toothy machine work at the crown (the very last bit of rifling at the muzzle ) I think it might just be a sharp piece of machining and will smooth down over time.

S&W test fires all their guns and they evidently had no problem so I would shoot more and worry less.

Actually, try a different angle and focus on that part. It is probably lead fouling or a jacket fragment. It is definitely something because that second shot you took has a nice high contrast to it and that is showing up clearly. Do you shoot lead out of that revolver? If so, what Mike was referring to and what I was getting at with the angle of the lands has probably caused a piece lead to come off.

While you are waiting for responses, take a brush and work that area over good. A brass lug with a patch (normally what you would use for lead fouling) is also an option but its location is not likely to be amenable to that technique of cleaning.

I agree with you. I would be inclined to believe it's a piece of led or jacket but he stated above this is a new gun. So I wonder if its from the test shot. I wonder if they shoot a shot out of each cylinder during a test.

I agree with you. I would be inclined to believe it's a piece of led or jacket but he stated above this is a new gun. So I wonder if its from the test shot. I wonder if they shoot a shot out of each cylinder during a test.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that at least one shot has gone through that barrel. Look at the second pic.

It looks like lead or a steel burr along the edge of the land inside the forcing cone. If you have worked at it and can't get it smooth, I would say, only out of an abundance of caution, bring it to the dealer that you bought it from and have them look it over in person. They will likely tell you it is fine, but I don't want to say it is fine just by looking it over on a picture. Believe them when they tell you that and have fun shooting. 6 shots and you probably won't see that burr any longer.

It looks like lead or a steel burr along the edge of the land inside the forcing cone. If you have worked at it and can't get it smooth, I would say, only out of an abundance of caution, bring it to the dealer that you bought it from and have them look it over in person. They will likely tell you it is fine, but I don't want to say it is fine just by looking it over on a picture. Believe them when they tell you that and have fun shooting. 6 shots and you probably won't see that burr any longer.

Thanks. I'll probably do that. Besides, I can pick up a ton more ammo while I'm there [smile]

Where are you? I have a Lewis Lead remover I could run through it. If it is a burr on the forcing cone, S&W can re-cut it for you or if yoi want, Greg Derr can fix you up too.

That's the pic I wanted to see. Ok I agree with these guys looks like a small burr. Bring it if your nervous. I would poke at that thing with a dental tool. You will easily be able to feel if it is lead, copper, or barrel steel. You will most probably be able to nock it loose either way. After your done, if your scared to shoot it, bring it to my range and I'll shoot it.

Sharpen your saws S&W . . .

DULL_HACKSAW.jpg

It looks to me like they used a dull hacksaw to cut the end of the forcing-cone of the barrel. If it was my gun I would get some emery cloth and dampen it in some kerosene, wrap it around my finger and just work that burred up area (lip) till it was smooth. I wouldn’t use a file of any type just the emery cloth and kerosene and it should clean up decently. IMHO

If that’s the way S & W is finishing their products now it doesn’t bode well. The only other thing I was thinking was that the cylinder is scraping against the forcing-cone when opening and closing the cylinder. I doubt that’s the trouble though, you would definitely know if that was happening.

Good luck.

ETA- cb1 ~ those were excellent macro photos you posted here, I have a hard time getting mine even close to being that good.

Last edited:
If that’s the way S & W is finishing their products now it doesn’t bode well. The only other thing I was thinking was that the cylinder is scraping against the forcing-cone when opening and closing the cylinder. I doubt that’s the trouble though, you would definitely know if that was happening.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up an emery cloth on my way home from work tomorrow.

Well the revolver is new in that I'm the first person to take it home. But according to the envelope containing the casing for the test fired round, this thing is from 06.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. My concern was that I would post pictures and someone would say "don't shoot that thing!" Since that isn't the type of response I'm getting, I'm not that worried about it.

Take it back ! This is my model 65, I put 200 rounds threw it last week and have not cleaned it yet.

Attachments

• 100_0933.jpg
    100_0933.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 37
I see either saw or file marks and a burr.how is the space between barrel and cylinder???[rolleyes]

As far as I can tell the cylinder is not rubbing against the barrel as there are no markings on the front of the cylinder. If I back light the revolver with a flashlight I can see a space maybe about the width of a piece of paper.

As far as I can tell the cylinder is not rubbing against the barrel as there are no markings on the front of the cylinder. If I back light the revolver with a flashlight I can see a space maybe about the width of a piece of paper.

That is fine. I believe he is more commenting on S&W's care in machining certain parts of the gun. I suspect if you run your hand over the back of the barrel, it feels smooth but the lighting and the machine marks make it look rough. 6Hold was making the same comment. S&W may not be what Colt used to be, but they are still really good guns so no worries.

Back
Top Bottom