Help with laws regarding Maryland gun permit.

My friend is going to be moving to Maryland for school, she wants to be able to carry a gun down there when she is not in school.

Does anyone know the laws regarding their LTC, is it hard to get, what kind of process is there?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Maryland has a terrible reputation for CCW, said to be almost impossible to get a CCW permit there.

http://www.mdsp.org/

I glanced over their application instructions. It looks like you need to document that you are a business owner who makes large cash deposits or document recent threats, assaults, etc. via police statements, notarized witness statements, etc.

Regards
John

Thanks John, how about Mace, do you know anything about that there? I didnt see anything in the app regarding Mace.
What if she got her LTC here in Mass, could she maybe then show she had one here and maybe get one down there?

Last edited:
Don't even bother. Unless you're a business owner or well-conencted, you ain't getting one.

However, Maryland is a default right to possess state, although there additional state checks when you buy certain types of firearms. No license required to own any type of firearm. They will make you watch a safety video before you leave the store though. Therefore, a HD gun is not a problem. No problem buying and carrying Mace there either.

If your friend is moving there, I highly recommend Atlantic Guns. They've got a store in Rockville and another in Silver Spring.

Thanks John, how about Mace, do you know anything about that there? I didnt see anything in the app regarding Mace.

www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

Maryland is not listed as having any restrictions on Mace

What if she got her LTC here in Mass, could she maybe then show she had one here and maybe get one down there?

Doubt it, but it's not my home state and IANAL

They don't recognize anybody elses' CCW permit as valid, and they don't give out Non-Resident Permits. They don't give out CCW permits to their own people unless they can DOCUMENT threats against their lives or show they carry a lot of money. Why would you think having a MA permit would help?

Face it, MD is one of those hell holes real Americans avoid living in. "People's Democratic Republic of Maryland" pretty well sums it up.

Will your girlfriend live on or off campus? If off campus, maybe she could get an apartment in VA, and get a VA permit (very doable) and spend all her free time there?

Maybe she could change her plans and go to college in a free state?

Regards
John

Buddy of mine lives down in MD. He was able to get a shotgun no problem, but I believe they have a version of the AWB too.

Buddy of mine lives down in MD. He was able to get a shotgun no problem, but I believe they have a version of the AWB too.

Not really. The main limitation is on transfer of any magazines over 20 rounds. Legal to own, but you can't transfer them. Flash suppressors, bayonet lugs are all good to go.

Maryland is my state of origin.

Not really. The main limitation is on transfer of any magazines over 20 rounds. Legal to own, but you can't transfer them. Flash suppressors, bayonet lugs are all good to go.

Maryland is my state of origin.

Isn't MD the OTHER idiot state (besides my own) that requires an empty shell casing from every new handgun sold there for their database?

In NY, this thing costs a small fortune for the state to run and has NEVER helped solve a crime - it's supposed raison-d'etre.

Regards
John

MD reserves carry permits for persons of privilege; power and influence. If a normal person gets one, it will generally be restricted to the specific activity used as the justification of reason on the application (for example, "work only")

You will not get a CCW in MD unless you're crippled or well connected.

If you want to carry legally in MD it's probably easier to become a qualifying LEO under HR218. [laugh]

-Mike

Isn't MD the OTHER idiot state (besides my own) that requires an empty shell casing from every new handgun sold there for their database?

I think MD may have dumped this system, or at least IIRC, some high up LE person in the state basically stated that the system was worthless and that the state should no longer spend money on it.

-Mike

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Ill just tell her to buy some mace. She is still going to get her LTC in MA though. :) I will be going to her firearms class with her sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom