Help me make my next buy...

After a run of a couple Mosins and C&R pistols, I want to buy something modernish.

Help me choose.

S&W Model 41 - used - Have heard nothing but great things, from what I understand they are probably the finest production semi auto rimfire pistols made.

PTR-91 - I like HKs, but have a mental block against clones of anything.

M1A - Little bit expensive I'd say but a fine rifle.

FS2000 - No idea how much they go for in Mass (probably too much), but they are Boston legal and most other 5.56 black guns aren't (HK93 costs too much and no 10 round mags are available, same with the AR-70). My dad has one and I enjoyed shooting it.

If I go with a long arm I want something that can be used for home defense (my current HD gun is a Garand) but that I can take to the range and shoot as well. I don't consider a tactical style shotgun practical for my situation right now.

I wish.

Unfortunately AKs, SKSs, ARs, FALs, FNCs, Uzis, Galils, and I think a couple others have been banned in Boston since 1989. HK/clones are not, nor are M1As, Beretta AR70s, any of the bullpups or newer rifles, SIGs etc.

Unforetunately I need to live close to school because I'm there 6-7 days a week. So I have to go for the Boston legal goodies.

Turn the clock back 150 years and buy the original "assault rifle", a lever action.
A Maarlin 1894 in .357, or a copy of the Winchester 1873 or Winchester 1866 should be a lot of fun.

Regardless of what you can and can't have, if you must purchase one rifle, I would go for an M1A Scout. PTR's are awesome rifles - as close to original HK's as you can get. I have been really impressed with the examples I've seen. However, as an owner of many a military rifle through the years, I can honestly say there's nothing like an M1A....

You're using a Garand for HD..in the city?

I hope you have lots of insurance for when you take out the intruder and your neighbors in the next three houses as well.

Seriously, you need to turn down the power factor in your choice of an HD weapon.

You're using a Garand for HD..in the city?

I hope you have lots of insurance for when you take out the intruder and your neighbors in the next three houses as well.

Seriously, you need to turn down the power factor in your choice of an HD weapon.

vellnueve: I'm not sure what your using or even if it will work in a Garand - you'd have to try it - but I saw some 112gr TAP-type ammo not too long ago. I think it was 112 gr TFSP designed for lower penetration...I know Hornady makes 110gr TAP that I use in my M1A SOCOM.

If I go with a long arm I want something that can be used for home defense (my current HD gun is a Garand) but that I can take to the range and shoot as well. I don't consider a tactical style shotgun practical for my situation right now.

What in the world kind of situation are you in, in which a Garand is practical home defense, and a shotgun is not???

Simple. A shotgun with an 18 inch barrel and extended tube has very little utility outside the home. You can't put standard VR barrels on them because of the extended tube. I want something that I can shoot at the range, and hitting paper targets with buckshot is pointless.

In a perfect world I'd buy a M500 special purpose gun, but I'm a student and don't have as much money as I would like at the moment.

Basically, I'm getting a nice signing bonus from the Navy for entering the Naval Dental Corps as a student, I'm going to save most of it but want to buy one nice one. I'm really leaning towards either the SW M41 or the PTR.

After a run of a couple Mosins and C&R pistols, I want to buy something modernish.

Help me choose.

S&W Model 41 - used - Have heard nothing but great things, from what I understand they are probably the finest production semi auto rimfire pistols made.

PTR-91 - I like HKs, but have a mental block against clones of anything.

M1A - Little bit expensive I'd say but a fine rifle.

FS2000 - No idea how much they go for in Mass (probably too much), but they are Boston legal and most other 5.56 black guns aren't (HK93 costs too much and no 10 round mags are available, same with the AR-70). My dad has one and I enjoyed shooting it.

Simple. A shotgun with an 18 inch barrel and extended tube has very little utility outside the home. You can't put standard VR barrels on them because of the extended tube. I want something that I can shoot at the range, and hitting paper targets with buckshot is pointless.

In a perfect world I'd buy a M500 special purpose gun, but I'm a student and don't have as much money as I would like at the moment.

Basically, I'm getting a nice signing bonus from the Navy for entering the Naval Dental Corps as a student, I'm going to save most of it but want to buy one nice one. I'm really leaning towards either the SW M41 or the PTR.

I guess you can take the FS2000 off your list

Pump shotguns are cheap- thats why you buy more than
one. Anyone who changes a barrel on a pump is basically a
masochist- considering that gun stores are filled with the things
for cheap money. [laugh]

-Mike

I went with the M41. Sweetest shooting pistol I've ever shot. Will post pics in the acquisition thread later.

And yes, a pump gun (something with a normal capcity and maybe a 24 inch vent rib) is in my future.

Well because you are in Boston you can't go by my list but these are my choices...

WASR10
AR15
S&W .38 or .357 hammerless revolver
MilSpec 1911
Lever Action .357 rifle

All good suggestions, DietCola. I actually have an AR and a Norinco AK out of state that will remain that way until I move out of Boston (never brought them in)

Already have a SW638 shrouded hammer .38 (and a model 520 .357)

Already have a SW1911

And I'm not big on lever actions.

Back
Top Bottom