Help me find a barrel for my AR

So, I'm rapidly nearing completion of my Aero AR build, and I need a barrel. I know what I want (16" medium contour with a mid-length gas system) but I have no idea about brands, lining, coatings, twists or any of that. I also don't want to go so cheap I have issues, but I can't afford to spend $500 no matter how cool it looks.

I've bought the majority of my parts from Brownells, and I see they have a few options, and their barrel seems to be a fair price.

What I plan to do with this gun primarily is shoot 55 grain ammo for plinking. I don't plan on hunting with this rifle, although I may do 3-gun in the future. Any and all input would be appreciated, because this is my first true 100% from the ground up AR build. Thanks!

That looks good, and it gets good reviews on the website. I might go with that one.

Now I'm going to be pissed if they're all sold out when I want to go get one! [rofl]

Jse surplus
Joe bob
Green mountain

How do you want to spend? We know how much you don't want to

Green Mountain doesn't have any mid-length barrels on their site. I checked for the group buy that's happening.

Last edited:
1:8 twist
I know there is a barrel group buy going on, but not much beyond that.
I love my Rainier Arms (Select Series?) 14.5" Barrel.

Jse surplus
Joe bob
Green mountain

How do you want to spend? We know how much you don't want to

Green Mountain doesn't make anything in with a middy gas system, so they are out. In my OP I said that $240 was a reasonable price, if you looked at the barrel I was considering.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a 16 inch, medium profile, light weight, mid length made by centurion arms from weaponoutfitters.com for about $290. It's a great barrel as far as I'm concerned. It's chrome lined and cut from M249 blanks.

• -cold hammer forged
  • -M4 extended feed ramp
  • -1:7 right hand twist with 5.56 Chamber
  • -taper bore
  • -HP/MPI tested
  • -Extra thick Chrome lining
  • -Mil Spec Phosphate finish

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/223-556-NATO_c8.htm

I have a 16" 1:7 chrome lined 5.56 barrel from them. Not a bad barrel by any means.

All carbine length gas systems.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently picked up a 16 inch, medium profile, light weight, mid length made by centurion arms from weaponoutfitters.com for about $290. It's a great barrel as far as I'm concerned. It's chrome lined and cut from M249 blanks.

• -cold hammer forged
  • -M4 extended feed ramp
  • -1:7 right hand twist with 5.56 Chamber
  • -taper bore
  • -HP/MPI tested
  • -Extra thick Chrome lining
  • -Mil Spec Phosphate finish

Any real advantage to 'extra thick' chrome lining?

Just a note....be careful stripped barrels sometimes don't have the front sight pin slots machined/drilled. Its not to difficult to do this but requires a few more tools and time....only applies to use of A2 front sight use

All carbine length gas systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Any real advantage to 'extra thick' chrome lining?

Only advantage I can gather is slightly prolonged barrel life. I doubt that many of us here will ever "shoot out" a barrel but just in case you do....
Like I said, i'm very happy with mine. I put it on my dream AR build, fitted with a BCE battle comp 1.5 and fed by a BCM Bolt carrier group. The barrel is by far more accurate than i'll ever be. The gas block area is also dimpled to accept a set screw type gas block.

Check out Rainier Arms website. They sell a lot of good stuff, plus can pin and weld if you need it, install the gas block.

I had them do a 14.5" light weight mid gas Daniel Defense with low profile gas block and Battlecomp pinned on. Turnaround time was great.

Any hints as to who makes the JBO barrels?

We don't release that information unfortunately, but they do hold their own in accuracy. They're all machined under one roof from stock to finished product. The only process our contract barrel manufacturer doesn't do in-house is the actual coatings.

We don't release that information unfortunately, but they do hold their own in accuracy. They're all machined under one roof from stock to finished product. The only process our contract barrel manufacturer doesn't do in-house is the actual coatings.

Can't blame for trying! :)

I got my joebob 16" Mid-Length barrel today and it was absolutely perfect when I unwrapped it. (it now has fingerprints all over it). It was wrapped twice, once with paper and then foam-wrapped. Bore looks smoooooth and shiney. Now, I just have to wait for my rail to come in from the QD buy.

Back
Top Bottom