• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help finding Franklin/Attleboro Area Range

I am looking for a good range (24/7) year round. (Okay, I know, everybody is looking for this. :D . I am also looking at clubs, (with the social aspect) but many have handguns as a secondary focus. And I have found some clubs are great but just too far away. I am in Franklin, so 15-20 minutes away would be ideal.

Anyone have experience at American Firearms School in No. Attleboro?
Steep membership at $295 (unl range time) but seemed okay on my first visit to look around.

Also, I heard of another range (private) in Attleboro area, but I just can't remember the name. Anyone know of this one???? or others????

Thanks.
Oh, I want to shoot 40S&W, 357, 38Sp, 380, & 22LR.

I am a member over at AFS. You should call them, I think (dont hold me to it) that the price went down. I shoot there on a regular basis. I am right next door to you (Bellingham). I would be more then happy to go up with you so you can check it out. They are a good group of guys over there. You can shoot up to 50 cal. mp me if ya want.

There are a bunch of gun clubs (private) near you. Go to www.goal.org and look for the page of gun clubs with info on them.

I know that Fin, Fur & Feather is near you (Millis, IIRC) and there are more. I don't live near there, so don't know them all.

Most clubs with indoor ranges offer 24x7 access.

If you find this non-private club that you can shoot at let me know.

And TypeO, let me know when you're going to be in the area. I live in North, so I might be able to meet up with you if I have the time and funds to pay to shoot.

Clubs

Hopkinton Sportsmens Association, 1 mile off Exit 495 Exit 21A (Hopkinton). www.hsasports.com.

$125 a year, $125 one-time initiation, annual work requirement (5 hours, I think, or pay some extra $$). 24x7 indoor range, outdoor ranges all daylight hours except Xmas, Thanksgiving and Easter when they are closed. Also, occasional closures for special events.

50 position 100 yard outdoor handgun/rifle range, 2 lighted skeet fields; on trap field; sporting clays stands; 6 positon 50 ft indoor range; non-anal-retentive club management. Run as a non-profit membership based club.

Franklin Sportsman's Club isn't serious at all - they don't seem interested in new members. Maspenock in Milford is pretty good and within 20 minutes.

sieveboy welcome aboard,

I was intreasted in Franklin but it said you need a sponser and I don't know one. Do you go to Milford's often? I have never been.

Thanks, glad I found this site! Yes, I joined Milford's and I go often, usually for Trap on Wed. eves. Their rifle range is under repair so it's limited to 75 yds., for the next few months. All in all, a nice club, very friendly and welcoming of new members. Should be great once the firing lines are rebuilt.

Franklin Rod & Gun

Hey, I stopped by Franklin club last week. Only two guys sitting around in their club house, and neither were gun people. So I didn't learn much, and they didn't have any keys to the range in the basement.

I will plan to stop by and see the top guy (Paul, I think) to see their range at some point. Usually, they say he is at the club on Friday's from 5-7pm or so.

I got the impression the having a "sponsor" was a throw back to the "olden days" as they didn't seem to worry that I didn't know anyone at the club. My guess was that once they meet you and find that you are a local and straight-up, they would let you join.

But, since they only have an indoor pistor range, they would be limited to
in my shooting if I want to do more, like hi-power, etc.

So I am going to visit Angletree Stone this weekend, and then to Hopkington Sportsman Assoc. soon. Both these clubs are only a few miles from Franklin and seem to have good facilities, from people who I know who are members there. But, like I said, I have to visit both first to see for myself. And note that Rob from this forum is the head othe pistol shooters at Hopkinton, so that is worth a lot.

Also, I found some clubs have IDPA, some IPSC, some cowboy shooting, so that may also influence where you might want to join.

http://angletreergc.org/

Just an idea, but if all the Franklin/Attleboro/Bellingham shooters each join a different club we could have one heck of a rotating shoot group in our neck of the woods.

Hey, I would even buy the first round after we shoot the first 100 rds or so.......

Dan

See, and what I've heard about Angletree is that they have mag restrictions. Only five rounds loaded at a time. And, they don't allow rapid fire. There has to be a min of 5 seconds between each shot.

Whether that's true, I can't say..as it's all been hearsay. But that's what I've heard. Let me know if that's not true...as I live in the same town.

I went to Wrentham, and being that they have a really nice setup. When me and a buddy walked in to ask about membership, everyone was really rude. So, we didn't even think about joining there.

I've been really happy at Mansfield, and don't see me leaving anytime soon. We don't have that large of a club. 100 and 50 yard range. But we do have a LARGE building and we're working on having an indoor range built.

Since I'm in Franklin and I'm looking for a club for mostly pistol shooting, I'll check Angletree as well. As for the mag restrictions and no rapid fire, Hopkinton's web site says the same. Five rounds to a mag I believe. Does anyone know if they really hold you to that? What's the point...to make you spend all your time reloading? It's enough to make me want to get a revolver.

C-pher said:
See, and what I've heard about Angletree is that they have mag restrictions. Only five rounds loaded at a time. And, they don't allow rapid fire. There has to be a min of 5 seconds between each shot.

Whether that's true, I can't say..as it's all been hearsay. But that's what I've heard. Let me know if that's not true...as I live in the same town.

5 seconds between shots!! [roll]

I guess they only practice slow fire!

I guess you should bring a book to read between shots.

I'd get bored out of my mind following that sort of rule. I don't need to bump-fire, but even my Wife (rookie) probably shoots a round every 1-2 seconds.

There also is a club called Westwood Gun Club that is NOT located in Westwood. I think that it is in Millis. You might give GOAL a call for contact info (GOAL links to a non-existent website). I recall it being a nice looking setting (I was there for a GOAL meeting once) somewhere off of Rte. 109.

LenS said:
C-pher said:

5 seconds between shots!! [roll]

I guess they only practice slow fire!

I guess you should bring a book to read between shots.

I'd get bored out of my mind following that sort of rule. I don't need to bump-fire, but even my Wife (rookie) probably shoots a round every 1-2 seconds.

Like I said, that's what I've been told. I don't konw for sure, because I've never met a memeber. And when I drive by there, it's always empty.

But there was a guy in a shop that was talking about how they were there for a shoot, and he put several rounds down range, and they said something to him that he needs time between rounds.

Again, only going off someone else telling the story. I would still like to hear from a member before we make it gospel.

But that was one of the reasons that we never joined in the first place.

There's also Independant Sprosmen's Club in wrentham. I'm a member there, and I rarely see anyone on the rifle or pistol ranges. Most of the
members just come to shoot trap or skeet on the weekends, so it's usually "my private club".

F

C-pher said:
I went to Wrentham, and being that they have a really nice setup. When me and a buddy walked in to ask about membership, everyone was really rude. So, we didn't even think about joining there.

That really surprises me.
I've been a member there for 4 years, Most of the members are super people.
Too bad, you ran into some that made you feel unwelcome.

I dropped my membership at AFS, and went to Wrentham, because I found the members friendlier there.

This is the Wrentham range by the Land Fill.

Yep, we walked in and everyone shut up. They were all sitting around the bar drinking, and it was like we interrupted.

When we said that we were looking for a range to belong to, they asked if we knew anyone. We said know, and we were told good luck. "When you find someone to sponser you, come back. There are people in North Attleboro that are members...just ask around."

I asked where I should ask around... They just shruged and kept drinking.

I thanked them for their time and we left.

Well, I would like to apologize for my fellow club members rudeness, that was totally uncalled for.
I wish I knew who it was.

That's too bad, because it really is a nice club.

I guess it worked out for the better. I really like Mansfield. And I don't know how many Cowboy shooters are there, but we got's plenty. And I like that. And, I've made some really good friends at Mansfield...

As for who it was, I couldn't tell you. It was about 15 of them... All sitting around the clubhouse tables and bar.

Thanks for responding...maybe if you had been there that Saturday, me and my buddy would have joined there instead.

Just got off the phone with angletree...5 round max...no shooting from a draw...guy said I could shoot the 5 rounds in rapid fire...not sure he knew what he was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom