Help buying a Holster

SausageGuy

NES Member
What's the best style holster for concealed carry for a full size football player?

Carrying on the hip with the hard plastic hkvp9 holster is painful

I was thinking of options like under the armpit or maybe in front of chest or belly.

Any thoughts , input ?? No clue where to start or what's out there / popular etc

Thanks

What about a 5.11 undershirt with a built in holster? I carry my VP9 inside the waist belt with MK holster. It’s not the easiest gun to conceal.

What about a 5.11 undershirt with a built in holster? I carry my VP9 inside the waist belt with MK holster. It’s not the easiest gun to conceal.
Do you mean, other people carry smaller? It's already small. I can't add any more to the waist.. hurts in the driver's seat. I'm 6'4 and I like to eat

Thanks that is very interesting! Looks like spandex

Maybe not a choice for your size but i love the N82 Tactical holsters. Extremely comfortable and all i ever carry with no matter which gun choice, which for me is usually a G19 or G43 depending on season and clothing.

If you don't buy at least three holsters for every gun, attempting to find the right fit, I'm not sure you're fully committed. I've found a pancake holster pretty comfortable for a short barrel--the 4" one was too long, though. It bottomed out on my chair and car seat. I've been experimenting with a pocket holster when I wear flannel-lined baggy jeans. It's okay, but not a favorite. IWB just ahead of my hipbone is pretty comfy, but I carry a revolver so I don't worry about shooting my dick off.

Shoulder holsters are my absolute favorite, though. After finding the right leather suspenders, I attached a pair of holsters, and don't even notice them most of the time. I wish the guns were a little more rearward--I'd guess REAL shoulder holsters might be more professionally done than mine. (Kind of a booger in summer, too, when I typically go shirtless whenever possible. I normally wear them under my shirt.)

But if carrying on your belt makes your waist unhappy, a shoulder holster is a practical option, and there are several makers.

Every body is different. Some like belly bands. Some like AIWB. Some like shoulder holsters.
Best you can do is try some gear and see what doesn't feel like poo.
There's a gun show tomorrow @ Shriners Wilmington ( hopefully not canceled)
I need to get one & I need an optic for the vp9 too

If you don't buy at least three holsters for every gun, attempting to find the right fit, I'm not sure you're fully committed. I've found a pancake holster pretty comfortable for a short barrel--the 4" one was too long, though. It bottomed out on my chair and car seat. I've been experimenting with a pocket holster when I wear flannel-lined baggy jeans. It's okay, but not a favorite. IWB just ahead of my hipbone is pretty comfy, but I carry a revolver so I don't worry about shooting my dick off.

Shoulder holsters are my absolute favorite, though. After finding the right leather suspenders, I attached a pair of holsters, and don't even notice them most of the time. I wish the guns were a little more rearward--I'd guess REAL shoulder holsters might be more professionally done than mine. (Kind of a booger in summer, too, when I typically go shirtless whenever possible. I normally wear them under my shirt.)

But if carrying on your belt makes your waist unhappy, a shoulder holster is a practical option, and there are several makers.
Should I seriously be worried about shooting my dick off too?... was that a joke.
I saw that video last month of the female cop who grabbed her Sig p320 and it went off without trigger pull

Good point. I really need to experiment with different stuff and see what fits me best...

When you say "on the hip," do you mean at 3 o'clock? If so, have you tried moving it behind your hip, to 4 or 5 o'clock? How about just in front?

Have you tried any of the hybrid holsters, instead of just kydex?

Are you using a good belt? Do you wear it near your natural waist, or are you forcing it to cinch around your hip bones?

WRT risk of shooting your bits off - as long as you use good equipment, it's paranoia.

i'm a big guy. until i swallowed my pride and started to buy pants and a decent belt that fit instead of stuff that was a size or two smaller (every big person does it), concealed carry wasn't pleasant. i can't imagine a gun stuck in my armpit or riding on my belly like a headlight. [laugh] as usual, i'm no help but i see humor in everything.

Have you considered appendix carry with a decent Kydex holster like Vedder or LAS Concealment and a good sturdy belt like the Kore Essentials tactical nylon belt?

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at 4:00.

Have a good belt! Wilderness Instructor belt is great. I have a black and a tan one and wear them every day even while not carrying.

I'm 6'3" and down to 220, but was over 300 and lived at 285 for years.

I wear 5.11 Tactical cargo pants and shorts and they all work together well

Mitch Rosen makes a decent “half” shoulder holster called the Executive. I’ve thought about getting one myself. I was always an IWB carry, but since gone to pocket carry for comfort. Getting used to the extra bulk and weight in the pocket is easier than putting up with something sticking in your side.

I’m a big fan of the Milt Sparks VM 2 leather IWB holster. I carry in the 2:00 - 2:30 position and find that to be most comfortable for my body size and shape. Leather just seems to mold and adjust to your body throughout the day (IMO) and is so much more comfortable than kydex. Nothing against kydex but it just not for me. Full disclosure, I do own and infrequently use a leather lined kydex Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB Holster that allows you to tuck your shirt into your waistband and totally conceal your firearm. I used that quite a bit when wearing dress shirts for business was pretty much required but that’s not the case these days. Still have it and use it when needed, but always prefer my VM 2 whenever and wherever possible.

Last edited:
Part of the problem may not be the holster, it may be the pants — lots of guys just getting into IWB or appendix carry think they can just stuff the rig into their pants with a belt and it will be fine. You need to dress around the gun. That may be going up a pants size or dropping 5 to 10 pounds to make your current pants fit better. Personally, I prefer pants that have a bit of stretch to them like a casual hiking pant, because they are more forgiving than jeans. Additionally the belt will matter too. A leather gun belt may be more comfortable than tactical nylon. There are several newer style belts with micro adjustment features to allow you to dial in the proper tension while siting or standing.

What I’m trying to say is, it may not be the holster or your body type, but the combination of those factors coupled with your choice in clothing and belt combination.

Last edited:
Part of the problem may not be the holster, it may be the pants — lots of guys just getting into IWB or appendix carry think they can just stuff the rig into their pants with a belt and it will be fine. You need to dress around the gun. That may be going up a pants size or dropping 5 to 10 pounds to make your current pants fit better. Personally, I prefer pants that have a bit of stretch to them like a casual hiking pant, because they are more forgiving than jeans. Additionally the belt will matter too. A leather gun belt may be more comfortable than tactical nylon. There are several newer style belts with micro adjustment features to all you to dial in the proper tension while siting or standing.

What I’m trying to say is, it may not be the holster or your body type, but the combination of those factors coupled with your choice in clothing and belt combination.
This right here. I learned that way too late. Going up a pant and Belt size made a big difference. I’m still fiddling with what is “comfortable” but I can guarantee iwb won’t be comfortable if you just use your existing pants, unless you have at least 2 to 3 inches of room to easily spare. I’m still not sure if iwb ever becomes “comfortable” even after I lost quite a bit of weight.

What's the best style holster for concealed carry for a full size football player?

I was thinking of options like under the armpit or maybe in front of chest or belly.

Any thoughts , input ?? No clue where to start or what's out there / popular etc

Thanks
Having a box of old holsters is like a right of passage. I carry 4 o’clock and use NSR and Mk-tek holsters, but my only real requirements are that they are kydex and have 2 snapping loops.

Whatever you choose train with it.

Call me old fashioned but I absolutely detest kydex. Nothing like a Galco Miami Classic or a leather hip holster with a thumb break.

Same here. I don’t care for the Kydex either.

I am a big guy and my two main go to is my M&P Shield .45 goes in a leather OWB at about 3:00 O’clock-ish or a J frame sized revolver in a pocket holster that rides in a cargo pocket.

I think that we often worry too much about printing and such. 95% of the population don’t have a clue and are too busy running around living their life to notice.

Another overlooked item when carrying is a good belt. A good stiff belt makes a big difference. I have a couple of Hanks belts that like. If you have a soft belt the tendency is to try to compensate by over tightening their belt and they end up getting jabbed in the side by their weapon.

Bob

This right here. I learned that way too late. Going up a pant and Belt size made a big difference. I’m still fiddling with what is “comfortable” but I can guarantee iwb won’t be comfortable if you just use your existing pants, unless you have at least 2 to 3 inches of room to easily spare. I’m still not sure if iwb ever becomes “comfortable” even after I lost quite a bit of weight.
I have 'gun pants' and 'normal pants'.

Mostly gun pants.

I thought those were pretty sweet till I saw I'd have to buy 2 and sew them together to be able to fit.

I was never able to carry the VP9 comfortably. It's...bulbous. But I would try pushing it further around to 4 or 5 oclock. But like others have said, you're going to get a box of holsters before you find the perfect one. I have leather, kydex, hybrid, and nylon. Just accept your fate, and start collecting holsters like the rest of us. BUT, if you really want to mess with NES, get a small of the back holster...

I was never able to carry the VP9 comfortably. It's...bulbous. But I would try pushing it further around to 4 or 5 oclock. But like others have said, you're going to get a box of holsters before you find the perfect one. I have leather, kydex, hybrid, and nylon. Just accept your fate, and start collecting holsters like the rest of us. BUT, if you really want to mess with NES, get a small of the back holster...

And wear it to your first IDPA match.😆

Back
Top Bottom