Help a CT guy moving to MA (Medford)

I've been reading this forum looking for a new club, but I'm finally saying screw it and asking that question again: what club?

I'll be moving to Medford. I'm mostly a rifle shooter (AR15 friendly required, 200 yard range required) and handguns. I occasionally shoot trap, so that'd be a nice perk. Clubs that have a pond, hunting land, or archery courses are all bonuses, but not necessarily required. So far, it looks like my best bet is Harvard Sportsmen Club, which is about 45 minutes away according to google. Is there anything closer that's comparable/meets my needs?

If not, I'll just suck it up and drive. Right now I drive all of 5-10 minutes to my club, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

I see you're in Maine, but before any of the MA guys pile on me, maybe I'll leave some stuff behind like a Kimber and an XD when I leave :)

Seriously though, I'm not super excited it about it, but I'm making a career move + hopefully enjoying a couple years of being back near Boston & college friends. CT isn't that much better (other than shall issue + no mag ban...for now) and I assure you Hartford isn't very fun for a young, single guy.

I hear yeah I grew up on Cape Cod and just stayed here when I got out of the service because by then I had a house and too many guns not legal in MA.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

This^^^^^^^^

Moving to MA. will be the regret of your lifetime, however long it takes for you to recognize it.

I grew up in medford. Not much to encourage one to stay there. Malden is more gun friendly but that may change with a new chief on the way in.
As far as clubs, look at Harvard, Holbrook, or Mass Rifle in Woburn.

I've been reading this forum looking for a new club, but I'm finally saying screw it and asking that question again: what club?

I'll be moving to Medford. I'm mostly a rifle shooter (AR15 friendly required, 200 yard range required) and handguns. I occasionally shoot trap, so that'd be a nice perk. Clubs that have a pond, hunting land, or archery courses are all bonuses, but not necessarily required. So far, it looks like my best bet is Harvard Sportsmen Club, which is about 45 minutes away according to google. Is there anything closer that's comparable/meets my needs?

If not, I'll just suck it up and drive. Right now I drive all of 5-10 minutes to my club, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

Recommendations for your consideration:

Step 1 -- Join GOAL now, before you move.
Step 2 -- Look at GOAL-affiliated clubs, see GOAL's Affiliated Club Listing Page. Find a local Rod and Gun Club here!
Step 2.5 -- Perhaps Hopkinton Sportsman at Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association: Home
Step 3 -- Decide what is most desireable - proximity (short commute) or facilities (once they meet your basic requirements for rifle, 200 yard range, etc).

Next one is my personal addition after moving here from PA a little less than 30 years ago, when my first priority was "distance to commute to work".

Step 4 -- Reconsider choice of MA , and re-target residence search to southern NH .

Just one man's opinion.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll check into those clubs mentioned. I know GOAL is a good club to join, seems much more organized/active than the CCDL.

Appreciate the feedback re: MA in general. Believe me, I fully understand what it entails. I lived here for 4 years during college, although I wasn't actively into guns at that point. That said, worth the tradeoff for me for a few years - more to life than spending 1.5 hours in a bus/train each way. I commute an hour each way on a good day and can't imagine making that longer.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll check into those clubs mentioned. I know GOAL is a good club to join, seems much more organized/active than the CCDL.

Appreciate the feedback re: MA in general. Believe me, I fully understand what it entails. I lived here for 4 years during college, although I wasn't actively into guns at that point. That said, worth the tradeoff for me for a few years - more to life than spending 1.5 hours in a bus/train each way. I commute an hour each way on a good day and can't imagine making that longer.

I know a little bit about the Harvard Sportsmen's Club, and Mass. has always been my home. Still, North Dakota is sounding pretty good. Good economy, jobs, reasonable land prices, no Kennedys, no loose-cannon Attorney General, commute by mule ...

Don't move into medford if you expect/want an unrestricted permit. Arlington is a lot better, or Malden as someone mentioned.

For clubs, for pistol or rimfire, there's Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden. Decent club.

Back
Top Bottom