Hello from Chicago, soon to be Salem, NH

Hello everyone!

I am happy to say I will be living in Salem, NH in less than a month. Originally from Keene, living in Chicago for the last 5 years and can't wait to be back.

I am pretty new to guns, dont have one and have only shot a hand full of times in my entire life. I am looking to buy a handgun for my first pistol and have no idea what to get haha. I thought I was sure I liked the M&P 9MM, I was actually planning on getting the .22LR M&P first so I could get my technique and groundwork skills down before I move up in caliber. But today I shot a Berretta 92 FS, I think I just fell in love with it. They actually have one for sale for about $560 at the store, used, any idea if that is a good price? Taxes and everything will put it over $600 probably. I am thinking I will wait until I get to NH to buy something as there will be no taxes, plus I think I need to shoot a ton more handguns, both brands and styles as well as calibers.

Feels very overwhelming as a beginner but, I think I am hooked for life now!

I am hoping there are some good ranges near Salem, cant wait to meet some more shooters.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, welcome back to NH. Plan on taking a trip to Manchester Firing Line. It's an awesome indoor range with guns you can rent. The store has great deals on guns and ammo to buy as well. I would go try a few before you buy. You never know what's going to work for you.

Just light a bag of sh!t and ring Emanuel's doorbell before you leave.

Haha awesome!

Anyone know about Gun and Sport North in Salem? Looks like it will be right around the corner from where I will be living, Westgate Arms. Website is a little lacking and it says they are for sale, I hope they are still open. That will be pretty awesome.

Haha awesome!

Anyone know about Gun and Sport North in Salem? Looks like it will be right around the corner from where I will be living, Westgate Arms. Website is a little lacking and it says they are for sale, I hope they are still open. That will be pretty awesome.

Stateline in Plaistow is a good shop also.

Try to attend an NES shoot and try before you buy.

Haha awesome!

Pretty sure Gun and Sport is closed as the owner died and the wife is trying to sell, they had some limited hours but not sure if thats still the case.

So this year one of Rahm's big ideas? Add a 2% tax on all ammunition sold in IL

Congratulations on moving back!

Fixxah said:
That reminds me of the time I met Rahm Emanuel.

I was heading into an El station mid-morning, shortly after I closed on my new place in New Hampshire. As I walk towards the turnstiles, this guy in a suit holds out his hand and says "Hi, I'm Rahm Emanuel and I am running for Mayor". I stop for a moment, shake his hand, and say "nice to meet you, but I'm moving out of Chicago today, too many taxes" and walked away.

Pretty sure Gun and Sport is closed as the owner died and the wife is trying to sell, they had some limited hours but not sure if thats still the case.

That's pretty sad, I kinda figured that it wasn't open too much. How about Second Amendment Arms in Windham? Only about 6 miles away, I'd call that acceptable. Website does not say if they have a range for shooting. Actually as I look at the map, looks like there are quite a few in a less than 10 mile radius of Westgate.

Anyone know anything about Westgate? I had my parents actually look at the place, they said pretty nice. I am taking it site unseen so hopefully good enough.

Sounds like all you need in NH is a state ID to purchase firearms, being that you can pass the back ground check. Can't wait to be back.

Welcome back home and to the forum !

Hold off on the first buy untill you try any of the Ruger .22's and a 1911. If you're out by the Peterborough area PM me and you can try mine at Monadnock R&G, or come to the car shoot at MRGC in June and you could get to shoot anything you'd like.

Congratulations on moving out of Shitcago...and into the great state of NH. Live Free Or Die!

Pelham has a really nice range. If I lived up there I would join that club.

Enjoy the freedom!

Welcome back home and to the forum !

Hold off on the first buy untill you try any of the Ruger .22's and a 1911. If you're out by the Peterborough area PM me and you can try mine at Monadnock R&G, or come to the car shoot at MRGC in June and you could get to shoot anything you'd like.

What is the MRGC and when and where is it?

Also good to hear about Pelham, I know that is the next town over. Any golfers on here? I'm not that good, but love to play. Hopefully I can find a place near Lawrence or Salem that is a good walking 9 for after work during the week.

I will be in Keene and Swanzey area for a few weeks, any good shops in the area working checking out?

What is the MRGC and when and where is it?

Also good to hear about Pelham, I know that is the next town over. Any golfers on here? I'm not that good, but love to play. Hopefully I can find a place near Lawrence or Salem that is a good walking 9 for after work during the week.

I will be in Keene and Swanzey area for a few weeks, any good shops in the area working checking out?

Lots of choices for golf around here, lots. Come over to Haverhill and theres a dozen courses of various caliber. Southern NH has lots of great choices also, ive been to Atkinson CC once and it was very nice but very pricey.

That's pretty sad, I kinda figured that it wasn't open too much. How about Second Amendment Arms in Windham? Only about 6 miles away, I'd call that acceptable. Website does not say if they have a range for shooting. Actually as I look at the map, looks like there are quite a few in a less than 10 mile radius of Westgate.

Anyone know anything about Westgate? I had my parents actually look at the place, they said pretty nice. I am taking it site unseen so hopefully good enough.

Sounds like all you need in NH is a state ID to purchase firearms, being that you can pass the back ground check. Can't wait to be back.

Did you wind up moving to Westgate? If so, I'm just up the road from you. Two good gun shops I frequent are Reiley's in Hookset and Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME. Just bought a used Kimber .45 last weekend from KTP, they have some really good deals.

Greg

Pine Valley is good for a quick 9 but the drama in the bar is over the top.

Hoodcroft in Derry is fantastic

Kittery Trading Post is a must, best collection of new and used guns around. Great staff too. Some folks like Riley's in Hooksett, I haven't had too much luck there. Chester Rod and Gun is having a Ruger shoot in September, might be a good opportunity to test a few.

http://www.chesterrodandgunclub.com/

PS. Don't forget to check out the CZ's......

Did you wind up moving to Westgate? If so, I'm just up the road from you. Two good gun shops I frequent are Reiley's in Hookset and Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME. Just bought a used Kimber .45 last weekend from KTP, they have some really good deals.

Greg

I did move into Westgate. Interesting place. I have not checked out the funs stores or golf in the area yet. Been so busy lately, I need to get out and swing some sticks and sland some lead locally real soon though.

Sounds like quite a few people in the Salem area, maybe we should put together a Salem area NES meet up. I know Navy Moose is in Merrimack, meet him at the NES meet up in Woburn.

- - - Updated - - -

last I knew,gun and sport north was still open,that was about a month ago.
Bill

This place looked open until last week, their Open sign was light up. Not sure when exactly, but mid week last week I drove by and the place was dark with some papers taped to the doors. Didnt stop to check it out, but I heard it might be closing.

Pine Valley is good for a quick 9 but the drama in the bar is over the top.

Hoodcroft in Derry is fantastic

I've heard od Pine Valley, not exactly sure where it is though. I will have to google it. You ever get out to play? If so we should pair up sometime, I'm terrible but if you don't mind that it's always more fun to go with people.

I did move into Westgate. Interesting place. I have not checked out the funs stores or golf in the area yet. Been so busy lately, I need to get out and swing some sticks and sland some lead locally real soon though.

Sounds like quite a few people in the Salem area, maybe we should put together a Salem area NES meet up. I know Navy Moose is in Merrimack, meet him at the NES meet up in Woburn.

I'd be down for that. Salem is a big place, there should be quite a few NES members round these parts.
If you see an obnoxious, big red early Bronco rolling by your apartment...that's me, flag me down.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom