Hearing Protection and Rifles

Neptune Cat

NES Member
I just found out this weekend that I can't shoot rifles with my current hearing protection. Is my only choice to just use the foam thingys that go inside the ear? Are there any other choices. Which foam inserts are the best?

I prefer custom plugs. Visit an Audiologist and have them made. If you have the $$, you can get them just as fancy as the best electronic muffs too. But plain plugs do the job.

Then again, I know people who love the foam things. I just never found a design that is comfortable in my ears.

And you didn't mention what you wear now. Some of the newer slim muffs might fit better. Depends on what is hitting and where.

Low profile muffs usually fix most check weld problems on rifles. If not then get plugs. Personally I use a reusable pair made of rubber or something. I like them and they cut out a lot of noise, though they can get uncomfortable when wearing for more than an hour. But I just take them out for 5min and feel fine again.

I find that the smooth-surfaced tapered plugs (the ones I get free by the handful where I work are orange-colored) are considerably more comfortable than the simple cylindrical ones with larger foam cells (the ones I've used have all been either yellow or white), but I agree that the custom plugs are preferable to either. The old "Norton Sonic Ear Valves" are downright painful and don't provide enough protection anyway.

You should be able to find muffs that are shaped to allow you to shoot rifles, and then the best thing to do is to use both the plugs and the muffs.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. I am currently using an inexpensive pair of earmuffs. I have no problem wearing plugs but I don't believe they offer enough protection by themselves.

I guess I'm going to look around and spend some $$$, as it is important to me.

I use a set of Browning electronic muffs, but underneath I wear Howard Leighton disposable plugs that I get from CVS for about $3 or $4/10 pair. This is the best of both worlds - the plugs alone are rated for 30 nrr or better. I can also shoot my M1 with just them if I get uncomfortable with the muffs.

Get the orange & yellow colored plugs - they're great.

I think you're right to question the effectiveness of plugs alone. I recall some discussion years ago about harmful sound waves being transmitted both through the ear canal and also through the maxillary bones surrounding the ear. Plugs do a very good job on the former, but only muffs help to reduce the latter.

By the way, I did myself a big favor last year and got some of the Peltor electronic muffs that allow "normal" sound through - even amplify it if you like - but shut down sounds above a certain threshold. They provide good protection, something on the order of 29 db, but don't cut down on your sense of what's going on around you, which is particularly nice if you're at the range with others.

I bought a contractor's pack of plugs at Home Depot and have been using them for years now. The Noise Reduction Rating is actually higher on those (well into the 30's) than almost all the muffs I see, especially the slim ones. And the NRR on electronic muffs is actually lower than that, so as much as I love the idea of electronic muffs for conversing between shots, I haven't bought any yet.

Remember that a 3 decibel difference means double the wave pressure energy of the sound. 103 db is twice as loud as 100. A noise reduction rating of 32 is twice as effective as a noise reduction rating of 29.

Here's a good faq on hearing protection:
http://www.elvex.com/FAQ.htm

Just make sure you put the plugs in right (roll between fingers thumbs, lift your ear, insert deep, and wait for them to fill up the space). I see a lot of guys with plugs just kinda sticking out of their ears and I bet they have to say "Huh?" a lot.

There is no question in my mind that foam plugs, properly inserted, are the most effective noise attenuators.

The fact that foam plugs universally have the highest NRRs is no coincidence or marketing gimmick.

The problem lies in that most people do not have a clue how to actually insert them and any attempt to educate them is ignored. So I have stopped trying. My hearing will be preserved. Others? That's their problem.

BTW, +1 on hating the cylindrical large-cell foam plugs.

And Jose is absolutely right about the insertion technique. It's everything when it comes to plugs.

My Brownings are the highest NRR rating I could find in an electronic mucc - I think that they're about 27 or so. If I'm shooting outdoors (and NOT on a range with a cement wall 20 feet away, like Riverside's 25 yard range), they work fine. I tried using both, however, at the Appleseed shoot a few weeks ago since it was a crowded line with LOTS of .30 cal battle rifles, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much it helped me control a flinch. Of course, I couldn't HEAR a friggin' thing that the RO said...

Military ear plugs

I, too, hate muffs when I shoot rifle as they always interfere with a good cheek weld.

Now, if I'm shooting indoors or in an enclosed space, sometimes it's necessary to "double muff" (plugs and muffs) but if I'm shooting outdoors these plugs do the job:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/combatarms-earplugs.html

If they're good enough for soldiers, they're good enough for me. Order a few pair and keep one in your vehicle, two in your range bag, and one or two pair when you go to the range. They work great and I don't wear muffs anymore.

Rome

. . . if I'm shooting outdoors these plugs do the job:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/combatarms-earplugs.html

You should be aware that those plugs have an NRR of only 22 db, which I, and I suspect others, would consider inadequate for protection from all but the least-noisy firearms. Out of curiosity, I just walked back into the shop area and grabbed a pair of those orange foam plugs I referenced earlier (manufactured by Howard Light Industries in San Diego). They have an NRR of 33 db, which means (because sound energy doubles every 3 db, as crak pointed out) they're nearly 16 times (2^4) more effective in protecting your hearing.

I've always figured if there was a way to make my rifle look like my wife I'd be all set. She makes noise all day and I never hear a word she says.

But seriously folks, sometimes I wear the muffs sideways / around the back of my head with foam underneath. Seems to keep a tighter seal that way.

Plain old Wal-Mart orange foam plugs, covered by a pair of Peltor low-profile (Tactical 6?) earmuffs with behind-the-neck band.

Just one or the other is not enough, especially if doing any sort of moving around. For example, when shooting a Highpower Match, it's easy to knock earmuffs off center when getting into the sitting or prone position from standing. If you're not wearing plugs underneath, you are immediately exposed to the full fury of the guy shooting the M1A next to you! And of course, you are too focused on the match stage to stop and fix the situation, so you just grin and bear it.

Nope - always go with double protection. This is especially true if you have some hearing loss like I do from a few stupid days on the range in the Army.

The triple flange earplugs I used in the military worked vey well even standing beside 155mm howitzers and 4.2inch mortars.
I now use the orange tapered foam plugs from Wally World and they work just fine.

They must be rolled up small, inserted well into the ear canal by reaching around with your opposite hand and pulling your ear up and out, then allowed to expand to block your ear canal.

Electronic muffs are good, but they are bulky and often interfere with shooting a rifle and at times are moved to produce a gap and become ineffective.

Back
Top Bottom