Hearing Pro.

Alright. I've been using the same old junk for a while. Some no-name giant muffs, double up with plugs I keep on my keychain, they suck.

I want someone lo-profile, will work pretty well without the electronic feature on, and better with it on.

Longest battery life available please.

I don't know a damn thing about electronic protection. Take me to school.

Alright. I've been using the same old junk for a while. Some no-name giant muffs, double up with plugs I keep on my keychain, they suck.

I want someone lo-profile, will work pretty well without the electronic feature on, and better with it on.

Longest battery life available please.

I don't know a damn thing about electronic protection. Take me to school.

You can go spend a shit ton of money on something really nice, like maybe the MSA Sordin Pro series, but that's really a luxury. I almost did it, but then tried these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/howard-leig...lding-1526/218073558.html?listingId=207427284

Only like $50, and work pretty good. Considering how much I beat on them, I think the value is definitely high for the price. I haven't tried too many more, these are quite popular from what I've seen. I've heard good recommendations for the MSA Pro-X's.

I have the $30 caldwells, they malfunctioned within 3 months. [frown] Now whenever I have the electronic (amplification) on, I get crackly static, so I never use it. I took it apart to try to fix it, but no luck. This results in me shouting at everyone at the range, cause I cannot hear myself. [laugh] So I would recommend against those.

FYI Most of the electronic have worse protection than regular muffs.

Please explain. I am not sure what you mean.

From what I have seen, most of the electronic ones have a lower basic noise reduction ration (NRR) than passive ones. The Howard Leight have around 22db and the Peltor (SV tac pro) have around 26db and the Proslim/Gold have 28db. The basic passive Peltors have 30db. The electronics are certainly "worse", but I find the benefit of being able to communicate without yelling is certainly worth the difference.

My wife has very sensitive hearing and she doesn't like the HL but she likes the Tac Pros.

Please explain. I am not sure what you mean.

From what I have seen, most of the electronic ones have a lower basic noise reduction ration (NRR) than passive ones. The Howard Leight have around 22db and the Peltor (SV tac pro) have around 26db and the Proslim/Gold have 28db. The basic passive Peltors have 30db. The electronics are certainly "worse", but I find the benefit of being able to communicate without yelling is certainly worth the difference.

My wife has very sensitive hearing and she doesn't like the HL but she likes the Tac Pros.

I'm pretty sure he meant exactly what you said in your post. The NRR of passive muffs is often more than the electrotic ones.

Personally, I can't recommend getting fitted for custom earplugs with mechanical filters highly enough. There have been a few threads on the subject.

I'm pretty sure he meant exactly what you said in your post. The NRR of passive muffs is often more than the electrotic ones.

Personally, I can't recommend getting fitted for custom earplugs with mechanical filters highly enough. There have been a few threads on the subject.

Where did you go?

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

You can go spend a shit ton of money on something really nice, like maybe the MSA Sordin Pro series, but that's really a luxury. I almost did it, but then tried these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/howard-leig...lding-1526/218073558.html?listingId=207427284

Only like $50, and work pretty good. Considering how much I beat on them, I think the value is definitely high for the price. I haven't tried too many more, these are quite popular from what I've seen. I've heard good recommendations for the MSA Pro-X's.

That's what I use for pistol shooting and they work great. If it's a big indoor class or I'm shooting my 500 or something really loud I'll use foamies underneath, otherwise I use them alone. I have MANY hours on them with the same batteries and they haven't died yet.

Where did you go?

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

I used Mike at H.E.A.R.Safe out of Pelham, NH. He was at a regional IDPA match at Harvard a few years ago. I believe he's often at local gun shows.

Another option is Steve Brown of Ear Safety Systems. I haven't had him make plugs, but I know Steve from USPSA and he's a good guy. I believe if you can get a small group of people together, say at your gun club, he'll travel to you.

Contact info and discussion for both are in this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/153782-Custom-molded-ear-plugs

FYI Most of the electronic have worse protection than regular muffs.

While that is true of a lot of the electronic muffs I think that because most of them are also a "sport" version that would be reasonable for hunting and shouldering a stock. Once to go to the big bulky ugly ones like the Howard Leight R-01902 you can get the noise reduction level back up to 30dB.

I use SureFire EP4 plugs. Only thing I use, and they work awesome.

ep4-cl_lanyard.png

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

That's what I use for pistol shooting and they work great. If it's a big indoor class or I'm shooting my 500 or something really loud I'll use foamies underneath, otherwise I use them alone. I have MANY hours on them with the same batteries and they haven't died yet.

I've just finally replaced my first set; but it's been probably weeks worth of training days with them before replacement. For carbine training, they work great with a set of plugs underneath, then just set the electronic muffs to a level where you can still hear the instructors' lecture. For backup weapons, they work fine by themselves. I don't know that I see the need to spend more than I did on these (and this coming from someone who frequently splurges on unnecessary gear).

Back
Top Bottom