Black Dog Magazine Problems

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I was pulling out equipment for my .22 AR-15 (a Spikes Tactical .22 Upper mounted on a Anvil Arms lower from an NES group buy about 10 years ago) to go shooting in the next day or two. This is a sweet-shooting little rifle.

However when I pulled out my Black Dog magazines I found some were broken. In the interests of complete honesty I had these left fully loaded after a session a few years back. Whether this was a contributing cause I won't know until I can get a hold of Black Dog next week. If it is, I'll take the hit without whining.

I have five (5) black body magazines; three were broken and the other two are showing the same signs of impending failure. The problem was in the seam running up the back of the magazine. It was starting to separate at the top, dumping all the rounds. In addition, on one of the mags the top portion had broken with pieces of the material breaking off.

I also have seven (7) smoke-colored magazines (translucent) which show no problems at all.

[pics]

Yes, I know, I'll try to take some clear pics tomorrow to post. I'll also want to send them to Black Dog for their comments.

Just curious if anyone else had had a similar problem.

considering it is a plastic bodied .22lr crapus - ain`t some amount of simple superglue not enough to fix it?
or mix some epoxy, damp cloth strips in it and wrap it around. plastic sucks.

Was able to get some pretty good pics. Superglue and a small, heavy duty clamp "might" fix it.

Attachments

• BD Mags 1.JPG
    BD Mags 1.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 30
  • BD Mags 2.JPG
    BD Mags 2.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 30
Was able to get some pretty good pics. Superglue and a small, heavy duty clamp "might" fix it.
there is a new stronger stuff for things like that, but i do not recall which brand was better - an UV hardening plastic repair gel.
something like that but you got to be careful as there are a ton of fakes there. proper ones work amazingly well, fakes are as good as a playdough.
View: https://www.amazon.com/Curing-Plastic-Adhesive-Seconds-Anything/dp/B07ZQVH9TR

for a repair you would need to cut off a bit of the old plastic with a sharp knife from edges, fill in the space you made with the gel, and UV it.

Wow. That sucks Email them, from my experience with them their customer service is ok

I've got a mix of smoke and black mags, and I'm seeing similar but not as extreme flaws. I believe I put my spikes 22 together about the same time as yours, and also started out on an NES lower. :D All of my mags are between 5-10 years old, and I see slight separation in the back of the feed lips on the black bodied mags, and none on the smoke. No ammo dumping issues, but they aren't as bad as yours. Screwed together mag bodies, so that seam was never glued - I notice they're now sonic welding the halves together instead of using screws and inserts.

My half assed guess would be the plastic shrinking down on the black ones, which wasn't as big an issue with the clear/smoke bodies. Or maybe just not yet.

You could use the one that is chipped beyond repair to mix an acetone glue out of small pieces of that mag. If done right, the seam will totally disappear.

I've got a mix of smoke and black mags, and I'm seeing similar but not as extreme flaws. I believe I put my spikes 22 together about the same time as yours, and also started out on an NES lower. :D All of my mags are between 5-10 years old, and I see slight separation in the back of the feed lips on the black bodied mags, and none on the smoke. No ammo dumping issues, but they aren't as bad as yours. Screwed together mag bodies, so that seam was never glued - I notice they're now sonic welding the halves together instead of using screws and inserts.

My half assed guess would be the plastic shrinking down on the black ones, which wasn't as big an issue with the clear/smoke bodies. Or maybe just not yet.

Interesting "coincidence".

I just sent the following to Black Dog with the picture of the five mags I posted above:

Dear Sirs,

I am contacting you regarding a problem I have had with some Black Dog magazines. Back in early 2010 I purchased a dozen of your magazines to use with a dedicated .22LR AR-15 rifle. They all worked as advertised, i.e., very well. Five (5) of them were the AR15.22 Conversion - 10 RND (Short Profile) Full Body Magazine, Black and seven (7) of them were AR15.22 Conversion - 10 RND (Short Profile) Full Body Magazine, Smoke Colored.

For the last few years I have not been as active shooting and these magazines were stored, fully charged, prepared for my next range visit. When I went to get them ready them for a range trip I found that the 5 Black magazines were splitting at the top rear as shown in the attached photo. Three of them had lost all of their rounds and the followers were sticking out of the top of the magazine. None of the Smoke colored magazines demonstrated any such problem.

The most troubling aspect of this problem is that all five magazines failed, or are approaching failure at the same time and under the same conditions. I am also aware of another shooter in my general area who is having the same problem with magazines purchased at the same time.

I would like to know what your company policy is on an item failure such as this.

Thank you.

I'll let everyone know what happens next.

Not the first time firearms plastics (or any plastics) have shrunk or deformed with time. I have a Mossberg M44US with a black plastic fingergroove behind the trigger guard that did both. That was 60 year old plastic at the time I fixed it with a heat gun and some zip ties. Don't think that approach will work on a higher stress area around mag feed lips, sadly.

Timeline:

June 5 - Discovered the problems (broken magazines). Also made the obligatory NES notification.

June 6 - Posted the obligatory pics on NES.

June 7 - Emailed Black Dog Machinery to advise them of the problem and see if they would honor their lifetime warranty.

June 8 - Received a return email from Tiffany directing me to send the magazines back for replacement.

June 10 - Mailed the magazines via USPS Priority mail.

June 12 - USPS attempted delivery, facility was closed (this was on a Saturday).

June 14 - Package delivered.

June 15 - New magazines packaged for mailing.

June 16 - Package given to USPS.

June 18 - Package delivered to Casa Frosty.

Thirteen (13) days from discovery of the problem to Frosty receiving 5 brand spanking new model Black Dog Sonic Weld magazines.

Frosty happy.

AND USPS did not lose any packages.

Attachments

• New BD Mags.JPG
    New BD Mags.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 7
Timeline:

June 5 - Discovered the problems (broken magazines). Also made the obligatory NES notification.

June 7 - Emailed Black Dog Machinery to advise them of the problem and see if they would honor their lifetime warranty.

June 8 - Received a return email from Tiffany directing me to send the magazines back for replacement.

June 12 - USPS attempted delivery, facility was closed (this was on a Saturday).

Thirteen (13) days from discovery of the problem to Frosty receiving 5 brand spanking new model Black Dog Sonic Weld magazines.

Frosty happy.

Can’t beat that

Timeline:

Frosty happy.

I had a similar problem , seems your mags are about the same age as mine. When contacting BG I explained to them what happened and they basically asked a few questions to ID the mags.
They did not even bother to have me ship them back. got 5 new mags and a 15% off code. I run mine in a Tacsol upper.
The nice lady said need not send them back as they are a known problem.

Black Dog has excellent customer service and are very good when it comes to replacing stuff...

glad to hear it turned out ok...

Back
Top Bottom