• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my understanding that she has the authority to interpret the law as she chooses and therefore the authority to change it. If this is true that is something that needs to be changed. No one should have the authority to change rules and regulations on a whim and turn thousands into criminals, especially without due process.

This is way beyond interpreting, she is writing new law which is not a power delegated to her under the MA constitution.

she's put herself in a bad situation. She can't back down or she'll demonstrate impotence, she can't actually go arrest people or violence will likely happen. This is going to get very interesting. I hope she choses a peaceful path and does not incite violence.

What kind of car does Rosenthal drive. Can we get someone to re-interpret some law to make him a ****in felon too?

she's put herself in a bad situation. She can't back down or she'll demonstrate impotence, she can't actually go arrest people or violence will likely happen. This is going to get very interesting. I hope she choses a peaceful path and does not incite violence.

Why do I think you don't fully believe what you just said?

It prohibits the sale of specific weapons like the Colt AR-15 and AK-47 and explicitly bans “copies or duplicates” of those weapons. But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon is.
They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon. That will end now.
The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal.

Several problems with this. Too many to talk about all of, many already covered, including by myself. But I thought I'd point out a couple.

1. Gun manufacturers didn't take it upon themselves to define what a "copy" or "duplicate" is, they took the definition directly from the law. Unlike her, who did take it upon herself to define it.

2. Words in laws are suppose to have meaning. There plain meaning is in fact thee meaning unless specifically defined otherwise. The words "copy" and "duplicate" do have a meaning, and since they weren't specifically defined, it is their plain meaning. Copy means "a think made to be identical to another. Duplicate means "exactly like something else". Nowhere in those definitions does it say that only part of the item being"essentially" the same makes it a copy or duplicate. Nor does it say that something simply having components that are interchangeable makes it a copy or duplicate. Her definitions do not jive with the plain meaning of the words.

I called three times today and they all said the response that you got. That Gov Baker said that she has the right to do what she did. I also explained to them how they were wrong, calmly, and tried to use a simple analogy. "There is a law that bans red cars. The ag interprets that you can no longer drive blue cars, or any cars because they have wheels and look like red cars." The law was clear cut and defined on what constituted an 'assault weapon' and case law backs that up. I requested that the Gov rethink his position on what the AG did, as it was unlawful and we will remember during the 2018 Gubernatorial election.

For registered Republicans it might be helpful to contact the officials in the party and let them know that you will not contribute one single dime to the party or Baker's re-election campaign if he doesn't rethink his position. Understand that Baker won the Republican nomination by a razor thin margin. I was at the convention and their was some very sketchy stuff that played out behind the scenes against Mark Fisher to finagle the nomination for Baker. He also won the general election by a razor thin margin as well. It doesn't matter how good of a job he thinks he is doing by reaching across the aisle. He needs Republicans for re-election.

[sad2]

I know. If people don't stand up this time, I'm ****ing done. 100% give up. **** you all, **** me, **** everyone of us. If we accept this we ****ing deserve it.

Pretty much.

If this isn't the go time alarm clock ringing, then what the **** else would it take?

Do we have a list of Representatives and Senators who have responded to emails and are against the actions that the AG has taken? From the last several dozen pages of responses in this thread here's what I've gathered so far (I know this isn't nearly complete):

Rep:
Ryan Fattman
Joseph McKenna
Bradford Hill

Sen:
Bruce Tarr
Jennifer Flanagan

just sent this the Clark and Moulton.

I am outraged at your support of AG Healey. She has abused the power of her office and with the stroke of her pen made felons out of thousands of law abiding citizens. If it is your wish to make rifles illegal in Massachusetts then introduce legislation to that effect. Allow the public to comment and bring it to a vote. You inability to do so does not give you or the AG the right to redefine legal definitions that have been in place for 18 years. It is an abuse of the power of her office and you should be ashamed to be a part of this attack on civil liberties. Today it was firearms. What will it be tomorrow? Gay rights? Right to choose? We have checks and balances in place for a reason.

Several problems with this. Too many to talk about all of, many already covered, including by myself. But I thought I'd point out a couple.

1. Gun manufacturers didn't take it upon themselves to define what a "copy" or "duplicate" is, they took the definition directly from the law. Unlike her, who did take it upon herself to define it.

2. Words in laws are suppose to have meaning. There plain meaning is in fact thee meaning unless specifically defined otherwise. The words "copy" and "duplicate" do have a meaning, and since they weren't specifically defined, it is their plain meaning. Copy means "a think made to be identical to another. Duplicate means "exactly like something else". Nowhere in those definitions does it say that only part of the item being"essentially" the same makes it a copy or duplicate. Nor does it say that something simply having components that are interchangeable makes it a copy or duplicate. Her definitions do not jive with the plain meaning of the words.

The plain meaning of words fell flat on its face with Cliton being irresponsible with top secret material and not indicted. Hell, once she's got the nomination, she'll be privy again to some really nifty stuff she could make a few bucks on.

Do we have a list of Representatives and Senators who have responded to emails and are against the actions that the AG has taken? From the last several dozen pages of responses in this thread here's what I've gathered so far (I know this isn't nearly complete):

Rep:
Ryan Fattman
Joseph McKenna
Bradford Hill

Sen:
Bruce Tarr
Jennifer Flanagan

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed email. I also just became aware of this and I agree that the AG is off base in these enforcements. As may you know, in my 20+ years in the Legislature, I have always maintained an A+ rating with GOAL. I fully understand the complexities of our gun laws and will advocate on behalf of all law abiding sportsmen and gun owners.

Thanks again for your email. Please know my office is always open to you.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Rodrigues
STATE SENATOR

Rep:
Ryan Fattman
Joseph McKenna
Bradford Hill

Sen:
Bruce Tarr
Jennifer Flanagan
Just got a response from Rep. Kim Ferguson. She was meeting with GOAL this morning and is on our side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Please someone say they have been taking snapshots of this. It really looks like amateur hour...just making it up as she goes along. I think the visuals on how this was published in the press prior to the letters reaching the dealers, using an arbitrary "day before" the enforcement notice, sending the notices regular mail to arrive on the 21st, and the fact that she is editing directives on the website make her look very foolish.

Q&A Just changed! Guns purchased ON 7/20 are good to go

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Please someone say they have been taking snapshots of this. It really looks like amateur hour...just making it up as she goes along. I think the visuals on how this was published in the press prior to the letters reaching the dealers, using an arbitrary "day before" the enforcement notice, sending the notices regular mail to arrive on the 21st, and the fact that she is editing directives on the website make her look very foolish.
I've submitted the page to archive.org

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

How about we just leave Hitler out of this one. It is an incorrect analogy.

Try Anya Glusmann, chief justice of the Moscow criminal court if you really want to rustle some jimmies.

He said Dr. Suess character. I wasn't aware of a Anya Glusmann Dr. Suess cartoon character.

Pretty clear that the Democratic majority will not overturn her decision unless forced and believe their re-election is at stake.

We need high ranking Republican leadership to put the screws to Baker who in turn needs to do the same down the line.

We need high powered cut throat legal representation and lobbyists at both the local and national level to fight this.

We need numbers, lots of numbers to demonstrate solidarity and resolve in a way that could influence those on the fence.

Rep:
Ryan Fattman
Joseph McKenna
Bradford Hill

Sen:
Bruce Tarr
Jennifer Flanagan
Add D'Emelia

I believe if the legislature repealed/strike out this part we should be back to where we were. They good do this is short term.
and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC?70); (iv) Colt AR?15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M?10, M?11, M?11/9 and M?12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC?9, TEC?DC9 and TEC?22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

Q: I am a law enforcement officer. Does the notice affect me?
•No. The notice does not change the law with respect to ownership of Assault weapons by law enforcement officers. Your existing right to buy and possess Assault weapons remains protected under Massachusetts law.

I hate this **** stain.

Still doesn't answer the people who have stripped lowers and did not EFA-10 by July 20th because of the uncertainty and vagueness of her directive though.

From the updated Q&A:
Q: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?

Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.​

So it would seem that if you owned the receiver on or before 7/20 you should be okay under her current prosecutorial discretion, but IANAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom