Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must focus on the written guidance not the press conference...if you own an AR you are exempt from any criminal status, you can transfer, de-neuter

Are you sure about that? Remember she can prosecute you if she wants, deneutering a formerly compliant rifle might be enough for prosecution.

so basically our unrestricted class A LTCs have been downgraded to FID cards.

Worse, the AG thinks she can make thousands of people felons by default just by writing a stupid letter.

-Mike

you were banned from four seasons??

I replied to his email, "so your just going to roll over huh?"

then my phone rings. It's Carl. All upset. Long story short, I'm banned from his store now.

I tried to ask him if he plans to fight it but then he went on a tirade about how he donates more $$ to the NRA than I do (as if he knows me or something). I asked him if, when Maura grants herself the authority to ban all semi auto handguns if he's just going to shut his shop down. That's when he told me I can't shop at his store anymore.

Maybe he should have put in his email that they're suspending sales but planning a legal challenge.

Are you sure about that? Remember she can prosecute you if she wants, deneutering a formerly compliant rifle might be enough for prosecution.

If this is allowed to stand none of this actually will matter because it essentially means that she can prosecute you at anytime for ANYTHING gun related. So it will not matter what state your rifle is in.

-Mike

I replied to his email, "so your just going to roll over huh?"

then my phone rings. It's Carl. All upset. Long story short, I'm banned from his store now.

I tried to ask him if he plans to fight it but then he went on a tirade about how he donates more $$ to the NRA than I do (as if he knows me or something). I asked him if, when Maura grants herself the authority to ban all semi auto handguns if he's just going to shut his shop down. That's when he told me I can't shop at his store anymore.

Maybe he should have put in his email that they're suspending sales but planning a legal challenge.

I don't think it is constructive to make the FFL's out to be the bad people. He has a business to run. This is all new for everyone. Would you prefer he be the guinea pig in this endeavor? He's provided firearms and accessories at very reasonable rates to the gun community for a very long time.

Not sure why you had to make him or any FFL out to be the bad guy...

How has this not been picked up by drudge and others? This has to get national attention

"Prior to July 20, 2016" was yesterday.....

Q: What is the penalty for owning or transferring an Assault weapon?

•Under state law, owning or transferring an Assault weapon can lead to substantial fines or to prison time. See G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M for details. Gun dealers may also have liability under the state consumer protection act, G.L. 93A, and could potentially face revocation of any license issued under G.L. c. 140, § 122.

Kind of misleading also, you can own an 'assault weapon' prior to July,20 2016, but owning one can result in fines or prison time??!!! So messed up.

you were banned from four seasons??

yeah.

my email was dick, but I wanted a response. I wanted to know what our dealers plan to do to fight this bullshit. I was willing to have a calm conversation once he got me on the phone but he just wanted to yell and talk over me and tell me never to come back. Ok dude, done.

Last edited:
So if you lived in a free state where an AR-15 was legal, such as Texas, and bought an AR-15 tomorrow, and then moved back to MA, are you going to be afoul of the law?

I'm sure this happens and people are already afoul of the law, because how many gun owners moving from Texas would realize that their bayonet lugs need to be ground off and flashhiders are a no go?

I knew a guy, deceased now so beyond prosecution, who moved to a liberal state and kept living like he was still in Texas. He didn't register his guns, he threatened trespassers with fireams (brandishing, shots in the air). Luckily for him, he never got in trouble (he was out in the country) - but he could have spent years in jail for what he did, and it didn't really occur to him to do differently.

Q: What if I already own a gun that is a copy or duplicate?

• If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the models enumerated in the law, it is an Assault weapon. But, as a matter of her discretion as a prosecutor, the Attorney General will not enforce the assault weapons ban against those who possess or transfer a copy or duplicate of a listed Assault weapon, if the weapon was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, when she issued the guidance.
  • The AGO also will not enforce the law against a gun dealer that possesses or transfers a “copy or duplicate” weapon that was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, provided that transfers, if any, are made to persons or businesses in states where ownership of the weapon is legal.

Q: I am a law enforcement officer. Does the guidance affect me?

• No. The guidance does not change the law with respect to ownership of Assault weapons by law enforcement officers.

Q: What can I do to get rid of my gun?

• There are frequent state, regional or local buyback programs. Check with your local police department.
  • You may also surrender any gun, at any time, for any reason to your local police department or to the State Police. See 5.15 CMR § 3.06.

Is that time?

If I go out today and get an AR lower, am I good or should I get the upper today too?

As has already been pointed out, according to the letter the last day to buy - legally - a semi-automatic rifle in Massachusetts was yesterday (PRIOR TO July 20th).

Jesus, maybe give the poor bastard a couple hours.

On the flip side I think gun shops should probably have given this "a few hours" before they knee jerk reacted to these letters. A bunch of shops have basically followed the script so far of "Receive letters. Shit pants with fear. Develop policy based off pant shitting" instead of taking a moment to step back.

A better call for FS would have been "At the present time, because of this edict, we are suspending sales of these rifles as avenues for legal challenges are being pursued. " or something like that.

-Mike

How has this not been picked up by drudge and others? This has to get national attention
Ak operators union picked up on it. A few of us posted to Colion Noirs page. Whether or not the MSM has, who knows. Our goal should be to make sure every pro 2A group in the country knows about this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Next thing you know they'll change their mind and come knocking for all our grandfathered "copies"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MA complaint AR's have a pistol grip and detachable mag. so there for it is not by definition an "Assault weapon", as it does not include a second "feature".. and NO WHERE in the AWB law does it state that an "Assault Weapon" is defined by having similar parts like Maura outlined in her new BS "rule". The Colt AR-15 is on that list. Our rifles may be "copys" of the Colt but they are not Colts, and again no where in this law does it say a gun "copy" is illegal..

Some one needs to sue her now!

Let's do this. State house Friday morning and all day and all night. Let's take this fight to the streets. If you don't fight back then we all should just bend over and receive what ever the government gives us.

Once again, it appears to be illegal to sell them, ergo, they are worthless except to the current owner.

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

Once again, it appears to be illegal to sell them, ergo, they are worthless except to the current owner.

She says possess or transfer. It seems to create a new class of "preban"
  • If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the models enumerated in the law, it is an Assault weapon. But, as a matter of her discretion as a prosecutor, the Attorney General will not enforce the assault weapons ban against those who possess or transfer a copy or duplicate of a listed Assault weapon, if the weapon was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, when she issued the guidance.

MA complaint AR's have a pistol grip and detachable mag. so there for it is not by definition an "Assault weapon", as it does not include a second "feature".. and NO WHERE in the AWB law does it state that an "Assault Weapon" is defined by having similar parts like Maura outlined in her new BS "rule". The Colt AR-15 is on that list. Our rifles may be "copys" of the Colt but they are not Colts, and again no where in this law does it say a gun "copy" is illegal..

Some one needs to sue her now!

Actually it does.

semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as:1

Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models);
Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
Colt AR-15;
Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC;
SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12;
Steyr AUG;
INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

Worse, the AG thinks she can make thousands of people felons by default just by writing a stupid letter.

-Mike

Mike, it's not the letter and it's not by decree. It is a new interpretation of an EXISTING LAW. She is not making the law, just CLARIFYING a law already on the books.

This is serious sh!t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom