He really should hire a lawyer for this.

DeWilde argues that because the M16 is in “common use” by the U.S. military, it should be made legal for the nation’s citizenry. He also argues that his Second Amendment right has been violated.
I'd like to see how this plays out. He's right. MGs are indeed "common use". Standard issue to every soldier and most police depts.

People filing cases like this, where they have no idea what they are doing, is how bad case law gets made. There’s a reason groups like NYSRPA, etc hire top lawyers like Erin Murphy Paul clement, Alan Gura, etc.

The courts are no place for amateurs.
The time to go pro-se is when you would rather lose than pay legal fees - for example contesting a civil traffic or parking violation.

The problem is these nitwits can deep-six good cases. It really hurts when you have Gura represent you and hear "we can't file, some pro-se applicant in the same circuit is ahead of us with the same case in a less friendly district court". BTDT.

I'd like to see how this plays out. He's right. MGs are indeed "common use". Standard issue to every soldier and most police depts.
You could say theyre not really in common use to citizens but the only reason for that is the NFA

Maybe GOA and FPC will get behind this dude.

If only we had the hundreds of millions of dollars the NRA stole from the 2A cause.

Hey, if he can invalidate the Hughes Amendment, I'm all for it. Although it looks like Bruen and the new ruling in Texas may put paid to the whole NFA.
Absolutely, hiring a lawyer can be a game-changer in legal battles, especially when dealing with complex issues like the Hughes Amendment or NFA regulations. I remember a situation where I needed legal advice for a slip and fall case, and consulting with a lawyer was incredibly enlightening. Longmont slip and fall lawyer, in particular, provided me with invaluable insights during our consultation. They helped me understand the legal nuances and potential strategies for my case. In your friend's case, a knowledgeable lawyer could potentially find ways to challenge the Hughes Amendment or navigate the complexities of NFA regulations.

Last edited:
I get it, but that’s the direction he’s heading in with his argument.
He'd be better building all the parts in state and arguing that the feds didn't have authority to regulate it because it didn't move in interstate commerce.
(This is partly tongue in cheek, there aren't many states were all the parts of a given gun are made just in that state. Except for maybe CT. And CT has state laws that prohibit these kinds of guns)

You shouldn't have to ask the government permission for anything, but I'm weird like that.
Same here...before 1934, you could make any firearm you wanted to make. I don't remember seeing any constitutional amendment passing in that year that would negate or change the 2A.

Last edited:
Here's how its going to play out:

He's going to lose because he doesn't have a lawyer and it's going to solidify bad case law for future 2a cases.

Back
Top Bottom