Hawaii Democrats introduce bill to reduce carry license term to 6 months, require carrying taser

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
This obviously is in response to a potential loss by firearm prohibitionists in NYSRPA v. Bruen.

SB2800:
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2022/bills/SB2800_.pdf
The purpose of this Act is to ensure public safety by
improving the training of individuals who are licensed to carry
handguns by:
(l) Requiring all individuals to undergo additional
training before applying for or renewing a license to
carry a handgun;
(2) Requiring any individual applying for or renewing a
license to carry a handgun to undergo the same review
as an individual applying for or renewing a license to
carry a handgun;
(3) Reducing the term of a license to carry a handgun from
one year to six months to ensure those permitted are
properly trained at all times; and
(4) Requiring non—lethal electric guns, also known as
tasers, to be carried when carrying a firearm.

"Too often, during an active shooter event, innocent bystanders are wounded or killed by gunfire intended to stop the active shooter"

Amazing how they can just make this shit up and actually have codified in a law.

Also this is just another case of the Everytown strategy that you need to obstruct the second amendment by local laws and attacking the fringe without trying to bang your head against the Constitution. They will identify expensive hard to attend training courses (sound familiar) increase permit fees, require taser training, etc.

Hawaii already requires a mental health statement from a physician EVERY time you buy a gun. I do not know if they require it for license renewals.

(5)
A firearms training or safety course or class
conducted by a state certified firearms instructor or
a certified military firearms instructor that
provides, at a minimum, all of the training of a
safety course or class described in paragraph (4) and
also provides a total of at least sixteen hours of
additional training in:
(A) Properly carrying weapons in public;
(B) Situation de—escalation;
(C) Interaction with law enforcement; and
(D) The proper use of a weapon as a last resort.
An affidavit signed by the certified firearms
instructor who conducted or taught the course,
providing the name, address, and phone number of the
instructor and attesting to the successful completion
of the course by the applicant shall constitute
evidence of certified successful completion under this
paragragh."

So it looks like 16 hours of required training in addition to the 6 that already are on the books--for renewals as well as applications. That's 22 hours of training every 6 months. Proof of completion of the training has to be done 30 days prior to each renewal. It doesn't take a genius to see what this is about and where it's going.

(e) A fee of $10 shall be charged for each license
and shall be deposited in the treasury of the county in which
the license is granted."
$10 is the fee, but I do not have info on how much the 22 hours of semi-annual training would cost.

So tired of these laws that pretend that licensed gun owners are the ones committing crimes. Every time I read about a gun crime it was committed by a convicted felon with > 3 attempted murders, > 7 rapes, > 10 muggings, etc.

So it looks like 16 hours of required training in addition to the 6 that already are on the books--for renewals as well as applications. That's 22 hours of training every 6 months. Proof of completion of the training has to be done 30 days prior to each renewal. It doesn't take a genius to see what this is about and where it's going.

$10 is the fee, but I do not have info on how much the 22 hours of semi-annual training would cost.

Smells like:

A poll tax is a tax levied as a prerequisite for voting. After Reconstruction (1865–1877)—the twelve-year period of rebuilding that followed the American Civil War (1861–1865)—many southern states passed poll taxes in an effort to keep African Americans from voting. As a result, many African Americans (and other impoverished citizens) who could not afford to pay the poll tax were disfranchised and deprived of their rights as citizens. In 1870 the Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was adopted, stipulating that an individual’s right to vote could not be denied by any state on the basis of race or color. Southern state legislators, however, soon looked for other ways to keep the vote from African Americans, which inevitably, and perhaps by design, blocked some white Americans. In response, many state legislatures drew up grandfather clauses to ensure that non–African American constituents were included in the voting process. The U.S. Supreme Court declared grandfather clauses unconstitutional in 1915 and again in 1939, but poll taxes had greater longevity and remained in effect into the era of the civil rights movement. The Twenty-fourth Amendment, ratified in 1964, outlawed the use of this tax (or any other tax) as a pre-condition in voting in federal elections, and the 1966 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections extended this ruling, stating that the imposition of a poll tax in state elections violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Honestly, this is where dumb-ass liberals need to check themselves before they go full-R.

At some point, their requirements are SO blatant that they actually DO get a federal ruling that wipes out ANY infringement against 2A rights. You look at things like voting rights and how our current system of "don't mess with anyone, just let them vote" came about. It was pushback against poll taxes and reading/writing requirements. R/W requirements doesn't SEEM to be unreasonable, but they (funny - liberals back then, but I digress) pushed too far and it changed the entire law for the entire land forever.

22 hours every 6 months??? You could end up with a SC ruling that is then interpreted as ANY restriction is a restriction and therefore unconstitutional.

Honestly, this is where dumb-ass liberals need to check themselves before they go full-R.

At some point, their requirements are SO blatant that they actually DO get a federal ruling that wipes out ANY infringement against 2A rights. You look at things like voting rights and how our current system of "don't mess with anyone, just let them vote" came about. It was pushback against poll taxes and reading/writing requirements. R/W requirements doesn't SEEM to be unreasonable, but they (funny - liberals back then, but I digress) pushed too far and it changed the entire law for the entire land forever.

22 hours every 6 months??? You could end up with a SC ruling that is then interpreted as ANY restriction is a restriction and therefore unconstitutional.
I doubt NYSRPA v. Bruen is going to get a ruling in favor of the RBA, regardless of what new state-level infringements are proposed now. At best it will be some kind of mixed bag to protect SCOTUS from the very-clearly-made threat of stacking. Also, Hawaii is going to pass this preemptively, so it likely will become law in Hawaii even if SCOTUS rules in New York's favor. That will be a green light for making licensing and renewals even more burdensome, and you can bet Governor-anoint Healey will be all over that.

Literally just a cash grab made to look like they give a crap about safety. They probably look at the annual fee of San Jose being ruled unconstitutional so they think this will pass the courts. It’s a dam tax

"Too often, during an active shooter event, innocent bystanders are wounded or killed by gunfire intended to stop the active shooter"

Amazing how they can just make this shit up and actually have codified in a law.

Also this is just another case of the Everytown strategy that you need to obstruct the second amendment by local laws and attacking the fringe without trying to bang your head against the Constitution. They will identify expensive hard to attend training courses (sound familiar) increase permit fees, require taser training, etc.

Hawaii already requires a mental health statement from a physician EVERY time you buy a gun. I do not know if they require it for license renewals.
Screw it. If I lived there, I would use a bangstick or a Hawaiian sling. Definitely go native!😷

First off, having to renew every year is stupid. Every six months and they are purposely trying to frustrate everyone into giving up getting licenses.

These politicians should be jailed.
I'll bet that it takes >6 months to get a license. So if this passes, essentially there will be no licenses in effect and they can go around and confiscate everything.

I'll bet that it takes >6 months to get a license. So if this passes, essentially there will be no licenses in effect and they can go around and confiscate everything.
Probably won't confiscate, but back and forth from range to home will be about the size of it for the average gun owner. Armored car personnel will likely be the most affected, unless they are retired LE and carrying under HR218.

"Too often, during an active shooter event, innocent bystanders are wounded or killed by gunfire BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS intended to stop the active shooter"

fixed it for them

show me one incident of an actual active shooter event where a law-abiding person who fired back hit someone other than the 'active shooter'.

They should be forced to provide every example of innocent bystanders hit by a samaritan in an active shooter event in the US.

They should be forced to provide every example of innocent bystanders hit by a samaritan in an active shooter event in the US.
When have Donks ever provided anything except words from their wordholes?

iu

Because the training is mandatory, it will be extremely expensive. All trainers will probably be required to pay 75% of fees to the state in addition to income/sales taxes on the full amount charged. The goal of the rulers is to ensure that only the very wealthy can afford this. Of course, there will be exceptions written in for those working security for the wealthy and rulers.
Hawaii hasn't issued a carry permit in decades. They will use cost of compliance to keep it that way and force more law suits.

In SFO, they enforce the requirement for a psych exam. That alone can cost $1000.

NYPD shoot more bystanders than almost every other PD and more than mere mortal civilians. That's thanks to Bloomer slashing the firearms training budget and Bozo cutting it even more.
My buddy business is rehabbing injured LEO's and FF's. He was chatting with the CoP, near NYC, about the crime wave in Rochester. My buddy asked him if crime was a big problem in his AO ?

"Hell no, we don't have any crime because we stopped arresting people last year"...(we just arrest lawful gun owners) Clown World

Back
Top Bottom